Steroid inhalers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steroid inhalers

Child aged 8, previously on Becotide 50. New script for beclometh 50 cfc free.

Llyds PMR points to Qvar first choice and no clenil in stock. When asked, dispenser says they always give qvar for cfc free. My understanding is that qvar is roughly double the potency of standard bec. So why do they not produce a qvar 25 for children?

Or am I wrong?
    johnep

Re: Steroid inhalers

Originally posted by johnep View Post
    Child aged 8, previously on Becotide 50. New script for beclometh 50 cfc free.

Llyds PMR points to Qvar first choice and no clenil in stock. When asked, dispenser says they always give qvar for cfc free. My understanding is that qvar is roughly double the potency of standard bec. So why do they not produce a qvar 25 for children?

Or am I wrong?
    johnep
    Get on to the surgery - this is not recommended to be prescribed generically.
    Check the entry on the DM+D.

Prescription Pricing Authority - DMD Browser

This is where all the names for EPS scripts will be sourced.
    Our PMR suppliers will be converting to them for EPSR2.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Very difficult to contact surgeries on a Saturday/Sunday/bank Holiday.
      These are the main days I work. Could not get into the PPA web site properly.

What exactly am I looking for? - a suggestion that steroid inhalers should be prescribed by brand? Dr will want a financial incentive!
      johnep

Comment

I don't believe QVAR is licensed for under 12s. Need to check BNF for that but I'm almost certain.
        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
          Very difficult to contact surgeries on a Saturday/Sunday/bank Holiday.
          These are the main days I work. Could not get into the PPA web site properly.

What exactly am I looking for? - a suggestion that steroid inhalers should be prescribed by brand? Dr will want a financial incentive!
          johnep
          DM+D comes from BNF recommendation.

Note
          The MHRA has advised (August 2006) that beclometasone dipropionate CFC-free inhalers should be prescribed by brand name.

Of course the GP system is probably set to switch to generic regardless, or hasn't been updated since Aug 2006? Or reception staff operating system are not aware of the difference in bioavailability.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
          X