Remote supervison & Pre-regs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote supervison & Pre-regs

Quite a few pharmacists are reluctant to embrace the prospect of remote supervison because they feel techs are not up to the task and patient safety would be compromised......Are there any pharmacists out there who would be willing to delegate remotely to a pre-reg pharmacist instead of a pharmacy technician?
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Re: Remote supervison & Pre-regs

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
    Quite a few pharmacists are reluctant to embrace the prospect of remote supervison because they feel techs are not up to the task and patient safety would be compromised......Are there any pharmacists out there who would be willing to delegate remotely to a pre-reg pharmacist instead of a pharmacy technician?
    Yes. Some techs in the last 1/3 of their pre-reg year are very, very good.

(Some are poor too...it's down to the individual.)

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
      Yes. Some techs in the last 1/3 of their pre-reg year are very, very good.

(Some are poor too...it's down to the individual.)
      Agree with the bit about individuals - and it applies to pharmacists, pre-regs and technicians.

Jeff

Comment

I have 2 dispensers who have been working in my shop for over 12 years now, I would certainly trust them; but as long as the legal Buck stops with me if a mistake happens, I will not accept remote supervision. Period.
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
          I have 2 dispensers who have been working in my shop for over 12 years now, I would certainly trust them; but as long as the legal Buck stops with me if a mistake happens, I will not accept remote supervision. Period.
          This is the problem really, isn't it - who takes the blame. I just wish we could get out of this blame culture pharmacy is so good at, and just work together, instead of always looking for a body to blame.

Part of this problem lies with the "no win no fee" country we have now. The local paper had an advert in it last week: -

A photo of a young girl (8 or 9) with a big grin on her face.
          Underneth it read "fell down in a playground, lost a tooth. £7000 compensation. Call......"

Kids don't just fall any more, nobody trips up, it's all blamed and claimed on someone else.

If a dispensing error happens (and we have all done them) if the person has taken any of the dispensed drug, the first thing they do is hit the internet. They then find all the problems and possible side effects of the drug, and guess what - they get them all. Then it's off to the free solicitor who is happy to wreck a good career for the sake of a weeks salary and a couple of grand for their client.

So some pharmacists hide their mistakes, which helps nobody, and others live on diazepam and prozac just to get through the day.

Others just take it, and live in constant anxiety, basically living for the weekends when they can relax a bit.

It's a sad state we're in, it really is.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
            What are you thinking of when you talk about remote supervision?

Would I let some of the staff I work with continue to dispense while I was performing a MUR with a remote pharmacist supervising them and three other branches via a video link.

Should I be able to supervise via a video link from the consulting room?

Should the remote pharmacist be able to supervise via a video link while I disappear for an hour or two to go to a practice meeting at the local surgery?

How much technology is there to be in the system? Are we talking ETP scripts where the products bar codes scanned to ensure that they agree with the ETP?

Yes there are risks associated with remote supervision - but these can be minimised - there are opportunities as well.

Much depends on the implementation

Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X