An interesting Onlooker article - relates to remote supervision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting Onlooker article - relates to remote supervision

I came accross the following Onlooker article from 2002. I think it's rather apt to read now, bearing in mind the potential crisis around the corner that is remote supervision. I particularly think the part I've highlighted in bold is fitting - I have never had enough faith in any tech that I've ever worked with to feel confident enough to appoint them as my representative!
    Facing the music

One of the prominent features of our time is the unwillingness of individuals to take responsibility for their own actions and decisions. Politicians are notorious for their almost invariable custom of passing the buck to someone who is in the sad situation of having no alternative but to hold it.

Incidentally, the expression "passing the buck" is attributed to Mark Twain in 1872, and its logic is obscure. The alternative expression "carry the can" is older, and believed to refer to menial tasks carried out by subordinates and slaves. To be responsible is to be accountable to someone, in the last resort oneself. It means, in its critical sense, culpable morally, legally or causally for some deed done or neglected.

Ascription of responsibility depends upon an individual's state of mind at the time of an action. Violence may be excused, at least legally, if the perpetrator took action in the belief that his or her life was in danger and that there was no way of evading the confrontation. Action under orders from a superior official may be legally valid but morally indefensible. Much depends on the role of the person in an organisation.

Role responsibility may be professional or social, and involves expertise. To be a responsible pharmacist one is obliged to maintain a high level of expertise; hence the enormous importance of continuing study and evidence from examination results. Apart from accepting responsibility for actions and decisions carried out personally, a pharmacist has to face the challenge of delegating responsibility, which is sometimes difficult. We know that there are situations where a trained assistant has to be relied upon, since a pharmacist cannot be in two places at the same time, or perform two tasks simultaneously. To delegate means to appoint as a representative, and critical judgement is required to do it safely and effectively.

Thus W. B. Yeats was right when he remarked that ''In dreams begins responsibility" — perhaps nightmare might be a more apt word. And Bernard Shaw took the cynical approach when he stated in 'Man and superman' (l903): ''Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Re: An interesting Onlooker article - relates to remote supervision

NT ....5 years is a long time in Pharmacy Business...techs were not professionals then ....they are now and hence are responsible for their own actions.

Not delegating will be like punishing yourself....we just have to look to the future and work together for the benefit of patients.

Pharmacists still have and hopefully will have overall responsibility for all services provided , hence should be able to delegate to whom he/she deems fit
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
      hence should be able to delegate to whom he/she deems fit
      Precisely. I have never met anyone who I would deem fit to perform the same role as me.

Oh, unless they were a pharmacist of course.

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
        Precisely. I have never met anyone who I would deem fit to perform the same role as me.

Oh, unless they were a pharmacist of course.
        I've met many members of staff that I'm happy to delegate parts of my role to, and several that can brings skills to aspects of the role that I can't.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          I've met many members of staff that I'm happy to delegate parts of my role to, and several that can brings skills to aspects of the role that I can't.

Jeff
          I have to agree with Jeff here. I worked at a pharmacy the other week where two of us checked over 1200 items. I'd rather have more time to do a clinical check and delegate the final check to someone, as I believe that work rate is too high for anyone to keep up and not make mistakes.

Not including lunch, loo breaks, talking to customers, sorting out problems etc, it works out at 30 secs per item, or 1 minute if it's an even split between two of you. Having another person, or even two, would make the process safer in my opinion.

Virtually every ACT I know are very good at what they do, and take their role more seriously then some of the pharmacists I have worked with.
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
          X