Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denied access to do mpharm, need advice

Hi,

I initally joined this forum when I got interested in Pharmacy as a career and really wanted to go for the mpharm.

I however have been denied access to this route as the local pharmacy school only takes straight A-Levels as accepted quals for entry. I am disabled so I can't really go further afar if I wanted to. I can't get those a-levels as I am now 19 and the "mature student" funding in my local authority has been discontinued.

I am expected to do the Access to HE course instead; athlough the RPSGB will accept this for entry onto a mpharm the local pharmacy school (Wolverhampton UNI) won't.

It apparently all started in 2004 when the local FE college ported its science A-levels out to the local 6th form schools in the area. I was 16 at the time but was going through a bout of severe illness and have been unable to attend education until recently when I recovered. I am now too old to attend 6th form and as I stated; the local college does not offer science A-levels.

The nearest alternate site that does do A-levels for 19+ students is over 20 miles away, being moderately disabled its just not physically possible to go that far every day at the moment.

So Wolverhampton UNI have told me they will accept Access for a Bsc in Pharm sci or Pharmacology. Is there anyway I could switch to the mpharm by doing additional years later on or are the courses too different for that?

Also I am dependant on long term opiate therapy to to keep myself at at level where I can get around and study (and eventually practice pharmacy.) I am on buprenorphine transdermal patches at a max of 10 mcg per hour, I am worried this might prevent me being able to practice pharmacy as I might be judged as being impaired. I've never had any side effects and am classed as medically fit to drive a car; so can anyone see this as being a problem?

Thanks,

mr_colt.
    Last edited by mr_colt; 1, July 2007, 09:03 PM. Reason: correction

Re: denied access to do mpharm, need advice

You should get the local press involved. they love a story like this.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
      Also I am dependant on long term opiate therapy to to keep myself at at level where I can get around and study (and eventually practice pharmacy.) I am on buprenorphine transdermal patches at a max of 10 mcg per hour, I am worried this might prevent me being able to practice pharmacy as I might be judged as being impaired. I've never had any side effects and am classed as medically fit to drive a car; so can anyone see this as being a problem?
      I wouldn't see it as being a problem, but I think you better contact the RPSGB to make sure, because you never know for sure.

Best of luck, I hope your determination pays off.

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
        I wouldn't see it as being a problem, but I think you better contact the RPSGB to make sure, because you never know for sure.

Best of luck, I hope your determination pays off.
        I don't see this being a problem either.

I got into pharmacy school with a HNC in chemistry, and don't have any A levels.

I have to say though, that if mobility is a problem for you then pharmacy is not a good choice of career, and I'm speaking from experience.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

To be honest in 2-3 years I will be fairly mobile again. Its not a a permant thing. Would have been better by now if it wasn't for catching c.diff for the second time in my life.

The Access has the advantage that it will pretty much get you onto any BSc so I think I will have to contact the RPSGB to see what they ask for their schools to require.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
            To be honest in 2-3 years I will be fairly mobile again. Its not a a permant thing. Would have been better by now if it wasn't for catching c.diff for the second time in my life.

The Access has the advantage that it will pretty much get you onto any BSc so I think I will have to contact the RPSGB to see what they ask for their schools to require.
            I am fairly mobile, well more so really as I have an artificial hip joint which I've had for 22 years. I pay for it every day though when I'm standing for 9 or 10 hours during it!

I think it's a good idea trying the society, as every year has at least a couple of students with alternative qualifications in them to add a bit of variety.
            Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
            X