Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specials

Hi Folks,

Anyone work for/do regular locums in former Moss shops? If so, do you know if
    Moss managers HAVE to use Martindale for "specials"?
    and
    If Martindale are more expensive than other specials manufacturers?

Items of particular interest are Simvastatin Oral Suspension and Paediatric Ferrous Sulphate mixture (which in my community days we used to make regularly ...... yes, yes, I know!)

Thanks

Re: Specials

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
    Hi Folks,

and

Items of particular interest are Simvastatin Oral Suspension and Paediatric Ferrous Sulphate mixture (which in my community days we used to make regularly ...... yes, yes, I know!)

Thanks
    I think (aren't sure though) that Moss are owned by Unichem, and Unichem own Martindale. I'd check this out though, but I seem to remember that's the case, but I could be wrong.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Hi Folks,

and

Thanks

Moss (or Alliance Boots or Your Local Boots or KKR Industries ) have a phone number to call for all items that are not stocked by Unichem.

It's the Unichem specials number and should be listed at the branches. They then order the stuff for you.

About prices I know not. I hate all specials supliers equally but Martindale more equally than others because I once spent twenty minutes trying to explain to them what BP meant after a name!
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

What I was trying to tease out is how I could reduce the practice drug expenditure. We seem at the moment to have a lot of "specials", often transferred from secondary care and I don't want us ripped off by some in-house deal.

Comment

What I was trying to tease out is how I could reduce the practice drug expenditure. We seem at the moment to have a lot of "specials", often transferred from secondary care and I don't want us ripped off by some in-house deal.
          .... this is certainly becoming a growing problem...I am currently involved in an audit to determine the level of specials prescribing....perhaps pharmacists with special interests could produce simple products in the pharmacy..laminar flows don't cost too much ..most pharmacies in the US have one..I am sure it would be more cost-effective this way , if proper clinical governance systems are in place particularly now that 80% of pharmacy support staff are trained.I think PCTs,LPCs ,DoH and RPSGB should work together on this...
          items like 5% menthol in aqueous cream should not be sent off for £120...its absolutely ridiculous!
          Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Hi Folks,

No - they are at liberty to open accounts with other suppliers.

Why not consider alternative treatment options?
            Items of particular interest are Simvastatin Oral Suspension
            Can fluvastatin capsules be opened?

and Paediatric Ferrous Sulphate mixture
            Ironorm drops or Sytron?

Regards

Jeff

Comment

Changing was always going to be an option, Jeff, but I wanted to find out a bit of background info as well.

Comment

specials are defo 1 area that needs to be looked at, the main problem being that huge, expensive invoices are generated with kick-backs going to the pharmacy, up to 30% in some cases...waste of public money.

Comment

Definitely is a huge expense.
                  However, the dispensing fee in the tariff is at the opposite end of the spectrum - hardly worth the effort making things on site even if you could. As admin dispensed over 1200 items in a day - how could you fit in extemping?
                  47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                  2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                  How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by RedJimmyG View Post
                    specials are defo 1 area that needs to be looked at, the main problem being that huge, expensive invoices are generated with kick-backs going to the pharmacy, up to 30% in some cases...waste of public money.
                    Yeh, know what you mean. The DoH and PCTs are too rigid in their thinking to create a sustainable and cheaper solution that would still leave some profit for contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
                      Yeh, know what you mean. The DoH and PCTs are too rigid in their thinking to create a sustainable and cheaper solution that would still leave some profit for contractors.
                      Thats the problem.
                      We are on a cost plus fees contract.
                      Profits are not permitted, and if they are made are taken off next years projected income.
                      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
                      X