Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intervention MUR's

What constitutes an intervention MUR?

Does it have to be a clinically significant event, or a new item on a script, or can it be just that the patient wants information on an item they've been taking for some time?

Re: Intervention MUR's

That's like asking how long a piece of string is...
    Maybe you'll find some answers here: Welcome to PSNC- Speaking for Community Pharmacy
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Tabletcounter View Post
      What constitutes an intervention MUR?

Does it have to be a clinically significant event, or a new item on a script, or can it be just that the patient wants information on an item they've been taking for some time?
      The PCT's who pay for MUR's don't normally see a copy of it, so there's no quality control - the £25 is just paid to the pharmacist 'with thanks.' Doesn't really matter how significant your intervention is.

This troubles me, especially since the multiples, with their big targets for MUR's are forcing pharmacists to perform useless reviews just to increase profits. What a waste of resources...

"Here's your course of amoxicillin, sir - would you have time for a chat about how you use your medicines"

Anyone else got strong opinions on MUR's?

Comment

Originally posted by pharmacopola View Post
        The PCT's who pay for MUR's don't normally see a copy of it, so there's no quality control - the £25 is just paid to the pharmacist 'with thanks.' Doesn't really matter how significant your intervention is.

This troubles me, especially since the multiples, with their big targets for MUR's are forcing pharmacists to perform useless reviews just to increase profits. What a waste of resources...

"Here's your course of amoxicillin, sir - would you have time for a chat about how you use your medicines"

Anyone else got strong opinions on MUR's?
        If we thought the intervention was needed we'd do it regardless of the MUR and the £25.
        The £25 allows us to audit our own skills at addressing the need for an intervention in the first place.
        Gain new clinical skills when told of a diagnosis with which we are unfamiliar and to formally address prescribing issues which we have battled away against for years e.g. laxatives reserved for terminal care, metclopramide for vomiting children

And what on earth is wrong with pharmacies maximising their income by dancing to the tune imposed by the government - doctors manage it remarkably well - the real question should be why pharmacy doesn't.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          If we thought the intervention was needed we'd do it regardless of the MUR and the £25.
          That is exactly my point - an intervention for reasons of safety should be a basic measure taken by a pharmacist in the course of their activities, and not necessarily be a case for conducting a full blown MUR.

And you're right - pharmacy contractors are running businesses, after all - by all means maximise earnings through simple MUR's whilst you can. I'd imagine the £25 fee is not going to be a permanent arrangement.

You have to admit its a downfall of the scheme that no quality controls are in place: a well done MUR costs the same as one which is rubbish! If a GP practice is receiving 20 MUR forms a week from a pharmacist who is repeatedly choosing easy patients with only 2 items (just to reach targets within time constraints), are we really gaining credibility with prescribers?!

I'd say more than a few doctors see it as a waste of time reading through trivial MUR forms and therefore are less likely to read and action any sophisticated MUR that crops up which has been well conducted, and would lead to improved patient care.

Comment

If a GP practice is receiving 20 MUR forms a week from a pharmacist
            Then the pharmacist is unlikely to be getting paid for 12 of them as the MUR limit is capped at 400 per year.

MUR's are NOT primarily for the benefit of prescribers - but of patients.
            They are not full blown clinical reviews, and should not be thought of as such.
            The useful ones usually have little to do with the prescribers but are often about packaging that patients can get in to, part of the decision as to the use of MDS systems or other reminders such as calendar packs or setting daily appointments with your tablets on a mobile phone. It can be about how to use the repeat request slip attached to the prescription.
            All useful, but of no real interest to the prescribers.

Jeff

Comment

Hello everyone,

I am thrid year pharmacy student and working within retail pharmacy for sometimes now and dealing with doctors everyday. I found that doctors doesnot life pharmacist to involve within their decision . they think that we are just here to do dispensing only and they dominating us....

I have personally experience with this kind of thing and my pharmacist doesnt do MUR. but what about Hospital pharmacist , do they really do this sort of things..

thanks
              Mr Nilesh Babariya
              London

Comment

Originally posted by bn413 View Post
                Hello everyone,

I am thrid year pharmacy student and working within retail pharmacy for sometimes now and dealing with doctors everyday. I found that doctors doesnot life pharmacist to involve within their decision . they think that we are just here to do dispensing only and they dominating us....

I have personally experience with this kind of thing and my pharmacist doesnt do MUR. but what about Hospital pharmacist , do they really do this sort of things..

thanks
                Some doctors are like that, just as some pharmacists approach the doctors in the wrong way and some ring up about anything and become a nuisance.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Hello everyone,

In my experience of hospital pharmacy, i find doctors much more amenable than doctors in community. I guess it depends on the hospital, and the committment you have to your ward, but i find myself wholly integrated within the multidisciplinary team. At our hospital, pharmacists take detailed drug histories (much the same as MUR's), but also provide prescribing advice at the point of prescribing (for example on ward rounds), and counselling to patients at various intervals throughout their hospital admission.

Usually if I ask a doctor to change something, they will take my advice and action the change, or at least consider it...

I'm sure there are lots of arrogant pharmacist-loathing doctors out there, but i'm equally sure there are as many nuisance pharmacists who lack the initiative to decide when to consult the prescriber and therefore don't gain their respect!

Comment

Hello everyone,

thanks

I have no problems with communicating with doctors most of the time in community, I haven't come across any doctor yet who treats pharmacists' input with contempt, although there is some way to go, because it seems they listen usually when pharmacists prevent a disaster of sorts - but not when pharmacists try to be preventative in medicines care. I guess my reasonably good relationship with local prescribers has arisen in large part out of being willing to organise some small things on the GPs' behalf that we don't HAVE to do (e.g delivery at short notice, or info on alternative products when discontinuations occur). This tends to have made them willing to listen to some degree of clinical input.

Comment

You can't do an intervention MUR for acute medicines unless the patient is receiving at least one long term repeat medicine (according to convo I had with the PSNC).

On the whole, I think the MUR is not a brilliantly well thought out service, but it is useful. Most people I've done an MUR for have become more loyal and regular visitors to the pharmacy, showing that regardless of what GPs think, most patients appear to have been quite happy.

Comment

As I think I've posted here before, MUR's are about the only pharmacy activity I've heard commented on in buses or pubs, and very favourably at that!

Comment

Working...
                        X