Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not have Pharmacy/Store managers in the Royal College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not have Pharmacy/Store managers in the Royal College?

Why stop at technicians?

I'm talking about the managers that work for multiples - Store managers,Team leaders etc.

After all they:

1. Aren't Pharmacists

2. Don't have a Pharmacy degree.

3. Try to bully Pharmacists

4. Talk at lot about things they know nothing about.

5. Would be able to contribute such novel ideas to the profession such as Pharmacists always working for free (Slavery) while at the same time having a handy bunch of scapegoats to blame at will.

In the intrests of fairness and inclusion (along with our technician comrades) We should possess a strong united voice of people actively misrepresenting and destroying pharmacists collective careers

What could be better?
    Last edited by openmind; 29, May 2007, 08:17 PM. Reason: misspelt word

Re: Why not have Pharmacy/Store managers in the Royal College?

Be careful what you say....the out of touch folk at Ivory Towers may actually think this is a good idea.

How about also including:
    1. Pharmacy delivery drivers?
    2. The 16 year old Saturday kid?
    3. The 13 year old kid who's the son of one of the pharmacist's friends who works 3 hours on Saturday morning doing the hoovering?
    4. Pharmacy outfitters?
    5. Factory workers who make the Boots uniform?.......

Technicians aren't pharmacists. They don't really understand the entire role of the pharmacist and the responsibilities pharmacists have. Intellectual snobbery? Yup - but it's about the only thing that will stop this profession becoming a laughing stock.

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
      Be careful what you say....the out of touch folk at Ivory Towers may actually think this is a good idea.

How about also including:
      1. Pharmacy delivery drivers?
      2. The 16 year old Saturday kid?
      3. The 13 year old kid who's the son of one of the pharmacist's friends who works 3 hours on Saturday morning doing the hoovering?
      4. Pharmacy outfitters?
      5. Factory workers who make the Boots uniform?.......

Technicians aren't pharmacists. They don't really understand the entire role of the pharmacist and the responsibilities pharmacists have. Intellectual snobbery? Yup - but it's about the only thing that will stop this profession becoming a laughing stock.
      You'll be suggesting that patients can join next.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
        You'll be suggesting that patients can join next.
        Well...why not? They use drugs, we use drugs....surely they're just as qualified?

Comment

Originally posted by openmind View Post
          Why stop at technicians?

I'm talking about the managers that work for multiples- Store managers,Team leaders etc.

After all they:

1.Try to bully Pharmacists.

2. Most of them don't have a degree.

3. Talk at lot about things they know nothing about.

4. Would be able to contribute such novel ideas to the profession such as Pharmacists always working for free (Slavery) while at the same time having a handy bunch of scapegoats to blame at will.

In the intrests of fairness and inclusion (along with our technician comrades) We should possess a strong united voice of people actively misrepresenting and destroying pharmacists collective careers

What could be better?

Steady on people....strong words in deed
          If you guys feel so strongly about the college issue you should write to the society...
          I don't believe techs should be excluded,albeit I dont think the should have full membership....if full membership is given to non-pharmacists..I don't think a lot of P'cists will join.
          Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

If one reads Lord Hunts letter of a few weeks ago I think that pharmaceutical managers might actually be one of the groups allegedly in the profession but not currently represented which he had in mind! By pharmaceutical managers I don't mean pharmacists (as presently defined) who are managers, but people who have a management role within pharmacy generally.

And, in fairness, the Institute of Pharmacy Management admits them as Associates (or certainly used to). There are quite a lot of people in Big Pharma who don't have pharmacy degrees who could, on a wider definition, be included as within the profession.

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
              If one reads Lord Hunts letter of a few weeks ago I think that pharmaceutical managers might actually be one of the groups allegedly in the profession but not currently represented which he had in mind! By pharmaceutical managers I don't mean pharmacists (as presently defined) who are managers, but people who have a management role within pharmacy generally.

And, in fairness, the Institute of Pharmacy Management admits them as Associates (or certainly used to). There are quite a lot of people in Big Pharma who don't have pharmacy degrees who could, on a wider definition, be included as within the profession.
              If this happens - I'm leaving!

Comment

Originally posted by openmind View Post
                If this happens - I'm leaving!
                If others who are not pharmacists are members, or reg techs as associates join how can they represent pharmacists? As most of us move to being employees and thus are instruments of company policy, we need representation so that we are not railroaded into a crushing workload by our employers.
                47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

As far as i am aware the Royal College will be split up into faculties that will represent each type of profession within the Pharmaceutical community. The royal college will represent the Pharmacy Community, while the faculties will represent just Pharmacists, Technitians, etc. However, there could have been new developments i have not heard about yet.

We need to remember that it is not just the Pharmacists' role that has changed in the last few years. In hospitals we have seen the emergance of new roles for pharmacy technitians. It is unfair to simply leave Technitians at the way side while we rebuild our representative body, the technitians work in pharmacies alongside Pharmacisits so i don't see why they shouldn't be represented by a Pharmaceutical body.

They are not planning to implement all this until 2010-2011 so there is still enough time to get our views accross. We need to get together as a proffession and make it move in the direction we want it to move in. Maybe there is something we could do here so that we can get our views across to the RPSGB.

Oh yeah. I don't beleive non-pharmacist managers should be represented by the Royal College as they don't know much about how Pharmacy works. At least Technitians have a vague idea!
                  I like beef and i like liver, meow mix meow mix please deliver.

Comment

Technicians and pharmacists should have their own separate bodies. At the end of the day, pharmacists have a different agenda to technicians in the progression of the respective roles. If we were represented by the same bodies, then inevitably compromises would have to be made by each to go in one direction.

Comment

Pharmanaut is asking for a Union. I think that the PDA is thinking that way, i.e. turning itself into an members organisation. While I suspect that the Royal College would have an interest in conditions of employment, it would have the same position vis a vis details of employment conditions as the RPSGB, which, incidentally could do more if it wished.

Comment

Originally posted by the old merlin View Post
                        Pharmanaut is asking for a Union. I think that the PDA is thinking that way, i.e. turning itself into an members organisation. While I suspect that the Royal College would have an interest in conditions of employment, it would have the same position vis a vis details of employment conditions as the RPSGB, which, incidentally could do more if it wished.
                        Depends on how its set up. I know the govt has definitely vetoed a union. (NEW Labour remember - They don't like unions!)

With the regulation/representation roles being split the world COULD be the mollusc of our choosing. But I'm not holding my breath.
                        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                        X