P.I.'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.I.'s

Ive had a lot of patients recently requesting that they are not dispensed P.I.'s (or that foreign muck you gave me last time) I'm not 100% sure of the legal aspect of P.I. supply, although I was sure that P.I.'s had to be the same as the British equivalent.

1. Does this include packaging and tablet shape and colour? or is it just refering to the drug itself? As we dispense calender packs with foreign days of the week on with no english equivalent.

2. Am I correct with the P.I.'s having to be the same as British?

Any one know any legal/ethical guidance towards P'I' supply?

Re: P.I.'s

Originally posted by Mr Pharm S View Post
    Ive had a lot of patients recently requesting that they are not dispensed P.I.'s (or that foreign muck you gave me last time) I'm not 100% sure of the legal aspect of P.I. supply, although I was sure that P.I.'s had to be the same as the British equivalent.

1. Does this include packaging and tablet shape and colour? or is it just refering to the drug itself? As we dispense calender packs with foreign days of the week on with no english equivalent.

2. Am I correct with the P.I.'s having to be the same as British?

Any one know any legal/ethical guidance towards P'I' supply?
    Refer to the "Treaty of Rome". Free moment of goods and services throughout the EC/EU. Also must have PL/PI which means that there are controls. If there are still objections refer to Member of Parliament. Usually ask patient to look at anything they buy - instructions are usually in 20+ languages these days. If you mention greedy drug companies selling them cheaper in EC/EU than in UK they usually go purple as this sort of thing is typical of 'rip off britain'.
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

cheers, helps a bit. Any thoughts on the colour or shape having to be the same as the british?

Comment

I doubt that this is the case;I've seen P.I. Anafranil Retard 75mg tabs that are a different shape from the UK ones;P.I. Tenormin LS that aren't orange; P.I. Bricanyl Turbohalers that contain 200 doses, i.e. twice as many as the UK pack; P.I. Ensure Plus drinks that are only 200ml, not 220ml; etc... etc...
        Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

If the Dr prescribes generically, then we are supplying the correct item even if it is a PI. If the Dr prescribes by Brand Name, then PI is still correct. However, if pt wants UK pack then must ask Dr to stipulate UK pack on script.

We have many scripts where Dr prescribes generically (to get the bonus) and then writes (Tenormin) in brackets.

Up to you if you acomodate the pt and dispense at a loss. We would do so in a multiple as we are judged on script numbers and HO says we must not lose a script. Major problem are pts who insist on a particular brand of a generic.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
            If the Dr prescribes generically, then we are supplying the correct item even if it is a PI. If the Dr prescribes by Brand Name, then PI is still correct. However, if pt wants UK pack then must ask Dr to stipulate UK pack on script.

We have many scripts where Dr prescribes generically (to get the bonus) and then writes (Tenormin) in brackets.

Up to you if you acomodate the pt and dispense at a loss. We would do so in a multiple as we are judged on script numbers and HO says we must not lose a script. Major problem are pts who insist on a particular brand of a generic.
            johnep
            Wasn't there something happening with "branded generics" - some consultation or other. I think the stand on writing a brand in brackets makes the script into a branded script. Check with the PPA. Not losing the script is great, but on the other hand its yet another way in which pharmacy plugs up the holes in the NHS.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Here in the 'sticks', rural Suffolk where Dispensing Drs are thick on the ground, most popular company is Discovery with Trinity close behind. The Drs prescribe the products by brand name.
              johnep

Comment

[QUOTE=Mr Pharm S;5818]Ive had a lot of patients recently requesting that they are not dispensed P.I.'s (or that foreign muck you gave me last time) QUOTE]

Personally if I was a dispensing pharmacist; I would politely remind the patient that they are not paying anything for the drug and that the NHS needs to spend the minimum possible to ensure they can receive costly medication when they need it.

Of course if they bring a private script from their docs with a UK branded drug on; you will be more than happy to dispense it.

Some of my medicine is imported from the EU and has translation labels on the packaging and blister packs. I'm quite happy to take this as it works and is subject to stringent EU manufacture controls.

India seems to churn out drugs destined for the third world these days. I'm sure no-one moans about having to take imported medication there.

mr_colt

Comment

Driving back to ferry port in Calais last week we passed the Astra Zenica site. Ever witty I said to Mrs Pharmanaut, "Look there's the parallel import factory".

Hardly any finished article we use these days has been made in the UK.

Wait until China start production of pharmaceuticals.
                  How times change.

Comment

Working...
                  X