accurately checking prescriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accurately checking prescriptions

Hi there, im currently training to become a pharmacist and although i can spot overdoses and interactions ironically im poor at checking prescriptions. Iv tried a numerous amount of techniques but where yoor busy its difficult to obide by it. Could people please share their methods to help me find mine?

Regards puj *

Re: accurately checking prescriptions

Make a check list and stick by it. Just go at your pace whether it's busy or not. Rushing prescriptions and giving out the wrong drugs is not worth losing your registration.

Comment

Originally posted by ferretmanabu View Post
      Make a check list and stick by it. Just go at your pace whether it's busy or not. Rushing prescriptions and giving out the wrong drugs is not worth losing your registration.
      I agree. Just go slow and go through your mental list, e.g. name of drug, strength, dosage, name of patient, expiry date of product. It might help to create an acronym of something equivalent of WWHAM to help u do that.

Comment

Originally posted by puj View Post
        Hi there, im currently training to become a pharmacist and although i can spot overdoses and interactions ironically im poor at checking prescriptions. Iv tried a numerous amount of techniques but where yoor busy its difficult to obide by it. Could people please share their methods to help me find mine?

Regards puj *
        Learn to apologise graciously

Jeff

Comment

Whenever possible, get another member of staff to look at the script and either label it, or assemble it, but avoid doing it all yourself if you can. This is not out of laziness, but sometimes our eyes deceive us and see something that isn't really there, and by making 2 pairs of eyes work on a script, you minimise the risk that you BOTH saw something different from what is actually on the Rx.
          If you don't have someone else to double-check you, try reading out loud what the script says, what the label says, and what the box says: it's a different part of your brain that processes speech, sounds, and language, so if your eyes have convinced you that the Rx says amiloride, and you pick a box of amiloride and read out the script that says amlodipine, you'll hear yourself saying "amlodipine" and notice the discrepancy... Sounds daft, I know, but it works!!!
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
            try reading out loud what the script says, what the label says, and what the box says: it's a different part of your brain that processes speech, sounds, and language, so if your eyes have convinced you that the Rx says amiloride, and you pick a box of amiloride and read out the script that says amlodipine, you'll hear yourself saying "amlodipine" and notice the discrepancy... Sounds daft, I know, but it works!!!
            Great tip! But Zoggite...do you do this in an open plan dispensary?

Comment

could someone please post their technique, i need a good system that hopefully wont let me down

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
                Great tip! But Zoggite...do you do this in an open plan dispensary?
                Actually, yes- I have been known to do just that! If you do this whilst holding a dummy phone to your ear, not only do you look very busy and in demand, but the punters daren't interrupt you...!

Comment

could someone please post their technique, i need a good system that hopefully wont let me down
                  Just read the company SOP for checking prescritions, and follow that.
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Checking is not easy! It is tedious, repetitive and monotonous, but not easy. Ultimately, you need to develop a framework for checking that suits you, and that you are going to stick with. It does take time. Do you work with an ACT? They are very good at checking and may be able to help you.

You also need to learn not to trust what you thought you read. Our brains are very good at filling in gaps and making sense of things when not all the information is there. Combine this with similar packaging and its not difficult to see why things like procyclidine and prochlorperazine, promethazine and promazine and co-amilofruse and co-amilozide get mixed up!

In fact, here are a few errors I have made since I've been registered:
                    promazine 25mg given instead of promethazine 25mg
                    zoton 30mg given instead of zispin 30mg

Comment

Yes i quite agree you have to have your own system for checking.
                      My major ones have been:
                      Loprazolam and Lorazepam.
                      Tramadol and Trazodone.
                      Co-codamol and Co-dydramol.
                      Salbutamol MDI and Salbutamol Breath-Actuated.
                      and
                      Cephadine 500 instead of 250 (I don't know why on this one but the patient will get better quicker!!)

Remember we are all human and everybody makes mistakes it is how we respond to the patient after the mistake has been made as to whether they take it furthur.

Comment

ok guys i think iv got me technique sorted, for the first time to day iv made only one accuracy mistake which is really good for me! that was giving 28 mirtazapine instead of 30. the other was post immunisation dose for a 3month old, i changed the dose to 2.5ml stat then if necessary another dose 6 hours later, but cos the child was 3 month there was no reason to give the original dose of 2.5ml qid prn. doh!!!

Thank for everyones advice, you guys are great

Comment

Oooohhh.... Flattery will get you nowhere, but do keep trying!

Comment

ok guys i think iv got me technique sorted, for the first time to day iv made only one accuracy mistake which is really good for me! that was giving 28 mirtazapine instead of 30. the other was post immunisation dose for a 3month old, i changed the dose to 2.5ml stat then if necessary another dose 6 hours later, but cos the child was 3 month there was no reason to give the original dose of 2.5ml qid prn. doh!!!

Just make sure you tell all your pharmacy mates about our forum!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                            Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                            Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I always try to remember that I am not able to divide my attention and each time suspect there’s something wrong with the prescription, drug or container (I hope I’m not mad). It works (in most cases).

SOP is a very good idea. You just have to stick to some checking procedure. Otherwise ... you’ve got an accident waiting to happen.

And it's true -don't try to rush things, never.

Comment

Working...
                              X