Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacist & Pharmacy techs working relationships

Need some help
    I am finding it increasingly difficult to exercise my statutory responsiblities whilst working as a locum in certain pharmacies.I am aware that nowadays there are no clear-cut boundaries between pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, apart from the fact that pharmacists have the overall responsibility for pharmaceutical services provided from a pharmacy.
    I find working as a locum quite tedious nowadays;the other day I was expecting a query on the use of Oral Contraceptives to be refered to me but it wasn't and I had to intervene as the tech was not giving appropriate advice.....I wasn't happy doing this, as the tech was obviously displeased.
    On another occasion a member of staff signed for a CD delivery without informing me or showing me the invoice as the delivery was recieved before the pharmacy opened for business and needless to say she didn't record it in the CD register...as a locum I had no idea they were expecting a CD..as you can imagine,I was horrified,when I found out this has happened under my watch especially in light of the Shipman business !
    Has anyone had similar experiences and if so how did you deal with them?
    I feel the society should provide clear cut guidance
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Re: Pharmacist & Pharmacy techs working relationships

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
    On another occasion a member of staff signed for a CD delivery without informing me or showing me the invoice as the delivery was recieved before the pharmacy opened for business and needless to say she didn't record it in the CD register...as a locum I had no idea they were expecting a CD..as you can imagine,I was horrified,when I found out this has happened under my watch especially in light of the Shipman business !
    1. It wasn't your watch - the pharmacy wasn't open, you weren't there and it's not your signature.
    Don't worry about it but do pass on the feedback to the manager (or if there isn't one then the area- or professional services manager)

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

I wish it was that simple! I got an ear bashing from the pharmacy manager.
      She said it was my responsibility..I somewhat agree with her but I didn't know about the CD ( dexedrine to be precise) besides I know that ignorance is no excuse for the law... The tech obviously worked outside her competencies and could have landed me in hot water if a CD inspector had spotted the error!

Comment

Hi Jeff

I wish it was that simple! I got an ear bashing from the pharmacy manager.
        For the training of her staff, for the company SOP's and her staffs inability to follow them?

She said it was my responsibility..I somewhat agree with her but I didn't know about the CD ( dexedrine to be precise) besides I know that ignorance is no excuse for the law... The tech obviously worked outside her competencies and could have landed me in hot water if a CD inspector had spotted the error!
        So go through the companies error reporting proceedure - it documents a fault in the system - which can only be addressed if it is reported.
        Also fill in the on-line version that is independant of the company concerned.

Then choose not to locum there for a while. There's no point putting your future career at risk unless they are paying enough for you to retire on.

Jeff

Comment

Kemzero

I have to agree with Jeff - even though his avatar gives me the creeps!

I work as a locum, and generally find the staff are fine most places I go.

If I was very concerned I would ring the area manager. If I got no support I'd tell them I would be leaving the premises, as the practice and training of the staff was too unprofessional for me to work there.

I agree with Jeff - don't work there, and report it - including the attitude of the pharmacy manager. How can you be responsible for something you don't know that's happening? Has the tec been reprimanded for her actions?
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            Kemzero

I have to agree with Jeff - even though his avatar gives me the creeps!

I work as a locum, and generally find the staff are fine most places I go.

If I was very concerned I would ring the area manager. If I got no support I'd tell them I would be leaving the premises, as the practice and training of the staff was too unprofessional for me to work there.

I agree with Jeff - don't work there, and report it - including the attitude of the pharmacy manager. How can you be responsible for something you don't know that's happening? Has the tec been reprimanded for her actions?
            NO.. apparently she is also unregistered....I no longer work there

Comment

NO.. apparently she is also unregistered....I no longer work there
              I think you are doing the right thing - it doesn't sound like a very professional setup - was it an independent?
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Need some help
                I am finding it increasingly difficult to exercise my statutory responsiblities whilst working as a locum in certain pharmacies.I am aware that nowadays there are no clear-cut boundaries between pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, apart from the fact that pharmacists have the overall responsibility for pharmaceutical services provided from a pharmacy.
                I find working as a locum quite tedious nowadays;the other day I was expecting a query on the use of Oral Contraceptives to be refered to me but it wasn't and I had to intervene as the tech was not giving appropriate advice.....I wasn't happy doing this, as the tech was obviously displeased.
                this would form a good basis for a letter to the PJ, which is great way to get an issue into pharmacists consciousness.

Thankfully, everywhere I've worked so far has had a very clear cut distincion between the pharmacist and other staff, and have never had an "accredited technition" to worl with.

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
                  this would form a good basis for a letter to the PJ, which is great way to get an issue into pharmacists consciousness.

Thankfully, everywhere I've worked so far has had a very clear cut distincion between the pharmacist and other staff, and have never had an "accredited technition" to worl with.
                  If anyone sends a letter to the PJ is there any chance you could mention the forum, and try getting us a few more members?

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    If anyone sends a letter to the PJ is there any chance you could mention the forum, and try getting us a few more members?

For sure! Also you could write to the PJ yourself about something or the other and have them introduce you as "Administor of Pharmacy Forum UK, www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk", therefore indirectly advertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
                      For sure! Also you could write to the PJ yourself about something or the other and have them introduce you as "Administor of Pharmacy Forum UK, www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk", therefore indirectly advertise.
                      Tried that already - simply got ignored. Three of us wrote an article on pharmacy websites, but they won't even consider it. I doubt they would include any reference to the site. I can post the article if anyone is interested - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice
                        Just for infor, I've posted a reply a got from the PDA

You are quite correct to be concerned and this issue should be raised with the pharmacy superintendent or local responsible pharmacist to allow the company to remind individuals of their responsibilities.
                        The issue with the technician may relate to poor training and/or non-adherence to the SOP. Sometimes technicians do try and work beyond their competence and this should be corrected when encountered. If the problem relates to non-adherence of the SOP, it could indicate wider problems of poor compliance with SOPs and again this should be highlighted to the superintendent/responsible pharmacist.
                        Again the CD issue is serious and may indicate poor understanding of the SOPs in place. These types of problems should be reported to local pharmacy management and if action is not forthcoming, then the superintendent should be involved.
                        At the end of the day you will be held professionally responsible for the actions of the staff if they make mistakes. It is therefore imperative that you are in control of the pharmacy and take appropriate (and recorded) interventions when deficits occur. Pharmacists, including locums should set their own standards when working and not allow staff to compromise these.
                        The Society does produce a Code of Ethics for “registered” technicians and will enforce these if they are aware of breaches by registered technicians.
                        I hope this answers your question and I would be happy to talk this through further if necessary.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice
                          Just for infor, I've posted a reply a got from the PDA

You are quite correct to be concerned and this issue should be raised with the pharmacy superintendent or local responsible pharmacist to allow the company to remind individuals of their responsibilities.
                          The issue with the technician may relate to poor training and/or non-adherence to the SOP. Sometimes technicians do try and work beyond their competence and this should be corrected when encountered. If the problem relates to non-adherence of the SOP, it could indicate wider problems of poor compliance with SOPs and again this should be highlighted to the superintendent/responsible pharmacist.
                          Again the CD issue is serious and may indicate poor understanding of the SOPs in place. These types of problems should be reported to local pharmacy management and if action is not forthcoming, then the superintendent should be involved.
                          At the end of the day you will be held professionally responsible for the actions of the staff if they make mistakes. It is therefore imperative that you are in control of the pharmacy and take appropriate (and recorded) interventions when deficits occur. Pharmacists, including locums should set their own standards when working and not allow staff to compromise these.
                          The Society does produce a Code of Ethics for “registered” technicians and will enforce these if they are aware of breaches by registered technicians.
                          I hope this answers your question and I would be happy to talk this through further if necessary.
                          That's an excellent reply! Shows some insight, intelligence and compassion. Imagine what reply you would have got from the RPSGB - just rehashing the MEP, as they always do.

Comment

I have a godd relationship with my two ACT's but have not got a particularly good 'working' relationship with them since I do not trust them to do the final accuracy check, since they, one in particular, does roughly four or five dispensing errors during a day. Therefore I let them check (just to keep them from moaning at me that they are not checking) then check Rx's my self before going to the patient. My hang up I know but also MY registration and MY career and ultimately MY court appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pharm S View Post
                              MY registration and MY career and ultimately MY court appearance.
                              Have there been any cases yet of a final check error by an ACT actually causing harm to a patient - if so, did the supervising pharmacist share accountability? Pharmacists are now 'too expensive' to be checking dispensed items - we have an opportunity to get out of the dispensary and put our full range of skills and expertise to better use...

Mr Pharm S - if your ACT is making that many errors, its high time they were put through the reaccreditation process, or asked to step down. Surely if anyone was making that many errors in one day, they would have the commonsense to question their own competence!
                              Last edited by pharmacopola; 18, May 2007, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X