MURs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MURs

What is everybody's experience with MURs so far?

Personally, I've done about 60 so far, and the paperwork accompanying them is a real massive headache, and is putting me off, but I'm looking forward to the updated form that the PSNC will soon be releasing which is cut down to 2 pages and seems more user friendly.

Re: MURs

Done about 120 of them since last july. No matter how I tackle them, I can't get them down to less than 20 mins each with form-filling time. The giant triplicate forms are a real nightmare, I too look forward to the more compact version!
    I hope they get rid of that stupid question "What would the patient like to get out of the review?"!
    Overall I find them actually quite gratifying, and I get a little buzz from seeing the results of my recommendations, both from patients and from surgeries.
    I have never had a patient referred to me from another health profession for an MUR- has anyone else out there been sent any candidates by their GP/nurse?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
      I have never had a patient referred to me from another health profession for an MUR- has anyone else out there been sent any candidates by their GP/nurse?
      Nope, its all about capturing the patients in the pharmacy from what I've experienced so far.

Comment

Overall I find them actually quite gratifying, and I get a little buzz from seeing the results of my recommendations, both from patients and from surgeries.
        Just a question, Zoggite...

What method do you use to send in the GP's copy to the surgery? Do you send several forms at once or each one as you do it?

I have tried posting, but it seemed that a better response was elicited to my suggestions when I gave the patient both copies and told them to give one copy to the GP at their next appointment, because that way the suggestions were more immediately in the GP's face and more difficult to ignore. However, I was later informed by the NPA that I might be breaking some little rule if I left it to the patient to provide the GP with his/her copy - so I'm going to have to reconsider this, and find another was to get the GPs copy to the surgery in a way that is difficult to ignore. Anny suggestions?

I hope they get rid of that stupid question "What would the patient like to get out of the review?"!
        Yeh I hate this question too. I always end up writing something in it for the sake of it like "Info on Asthma therapy", which is pointless. Anyway, I think your wish has come true. Here's a copy of the proposed new form and I can't find this dumb ass question on it any where:

http://www.psnc.org.uk/uploaded_txt/...4%20010407.pdf

By the way pharmacists are now actually free to start ~"testing" this form as an alternative to the old one (that's what it says here: Welcome to PSNC- Speaking for Community Pharmacy, so I think I;m going to do just that, by printing out a few copies, and then photocopying 2 copies at the end of the MUR.

Comment

I send batches of forms to surgeries- about every 2-3 weeks. I separate them into 2 piles; the ones with "No action required"(from the GP's, anyway), and the ones where I'd like the surgery's prescribing team to have a look; in those cases, I copy my recommendations on an A4 black-and-white "Action plan" sheet, as it's neater and easier to scan and handle than the A3- pink carbon copy. This gets paper-clipped to the pink sheet, and I send the lot to the Surgery, marked "for the attention of the Practice Pharmacist"; I find this is more likely to result in action!
          Then I sit back & wait (I wish!); I don't hear directly from the surgery whether any of my recommendations have been actioned upon, but I spot them on the patient's next script, and then usually make a point of handing out the prescription myself and pointing out the changes effected, thus reaping in Brownie points and generally blowing my own trumpet!

Comment

The new form definitely looks a lot more friendly and easier to use - I'll have to try it out over the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
              The new form definitely looks a lot more friendly and easier to use - I'll have to try it out over the next few weeks.

I used the new form for an MUR today...it was sooooo much easier than the old type. I printed the copy off the PSNC website. I now stand a hope in hell of the 400 target for the pharmacy I manage (OK people, I know it shouldn't be all about targets...but it helps to have an aim to work towards...that's why GPs are so rich).

Comment

Yes, I can see its merits and advantages too.
                are you planning on keeping a photocopy of individual patients' completed forms for your record, as a starting point for the next annual MUR, or do you just send the only copy to the GP's?

Comment

Yes, I can see its merits and advantages too.
                  are you planning on keeping a photocopy of individual patients' completed forms for your record, as a starting point for the next annual MUR, or do you just send the only copy to the GP's?
                  What I done today was photocopy two copies at the end of the MUR. Original to the patient, a copy each for Pharmacy and GP.

But in a month or two it will be the official form and available as a triplicate from the NPA or whoever.

Another thing I started today that I'm hoping to use to speed things up is to identify as many people as possible from the PMR that I'd like to review, and get myself or an assistant to pre-fill the forms. Then when the patient comes in to actually sit down and do the MUR, it'll be much faster with less panic in the rush to fill out the forms (hopefully).

Comment

lds say that every loan should be the signal for an MUR and imply should be made a condition for the loan , ie no agreement by the pt to an MUR, no loan.

same could be done for ES as an intervention MUR.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      lds say that every loan should be the signal for an MUR
                      In that case, some of my "repeat offenders" are heading for a monthly MUR!!!

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      same could be done for ES as an intervention MUR.
                      johnep
                      So Lds now acknowledge that there is a difference between a loan and an ES?!? 'Cos their new Compass-PMR system doesn't seem to know the difference...

As for inflicting intervention MURs on poor forgetful holidaymakers wanting emergency supplies: see my thread on this subject (http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/reta....html#post5401 )
                      Last edited by Zoggite; 11, April 2007, 08:16 PM. Reason: wasn't sure about the correct spelling of "acknowledge"- it just doesn't look right....

Comment

As for inflicting intervention MURs on poor forgetful holidaymakers wanting emergency supplies: see my thread on this subject (http://www.pharmacy-forum.co.uk/reta....html#post5401 )
                        Hi! I'm Zoggite!

You might remember me from such threads as:

Underlings why whipping helps them remember!

My pharmacy life and why everyone's jealous of it!

and

Wales why it's more so!
                        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                          My pharmacy life and why everyone's jealous of it!
                          So it would appear indeed!!!

Signed: The real, the true, the One-and-Only irreplaceable Zoggite- don't accept cheap Cornish imitations!

Comment

So it would appear indeed!!!

Signed: The real, the true, the One-and-Only irreplaceable Zoggite- don't accept cheap Cornish imitations!
                            Hear! Hear!

I am NOT a CHEAP imitation. I'm very expensive!
                            Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                            pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                            eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                              Hear! Hear!

I am NOT a CHEAP imitation. I'm very expensive!
                              Well now we know that you can be bought - it's just a case of haggling about the price.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X