Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters, clinical diplomas, what to choose!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters, clinical diplomas, what to choose!

I'm really thinking about doing a master. First I thought of a clinical diploma, but then I looked into it more carefully and it seemed to focused for hospital pharmacy, and I work in community.

I like health economics, or public health, but I really don't know the needs of the market or where to get more information. Is there a website that lists all post-graduations in the uk? Does anyone have any ideas on a good field to get more education on?

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their experience with me. I'm confused, and I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Masters, clinical diplomas, what to choose!

I'm also thinking of dong some further qualifications and am a bit confused about what to go for.

Aston University offers some interesting choices, including Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Community Pharmacy:

DIPLOMA / MSC IN CLINICAL COMMUNITY PHARMACY

(Note, other options are available on the right)

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
      I'm also thinking of dong some further qualifications and am a bit confused about what to go for.

Aston University offers some interesting choices, including Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Community Pharmacy:

DIPLOMA / MSC IN CLINICAL COMMUNITY PHARMACY

(Note, other options are available on the right)
      Which I'm doing and is very good. I've just come back from a study week which was lots of fun and very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G View Post
        Which I'm doing and is very good. I've just come back from a study week which was lots of fun and very interesting.
        Is it a tough course to do while working full time?

What are your aims to achieve by doing the course? I mean, is it just to be sharp, or will it enhance your career?

Just asking, coz I'm thinking of doing a further course but am in two minds, so am trying to get insights...

Comment

Is it a tough course to do while working full time?

What are your aims to achieve by doing the course? I mean, is it just to be sharp, or will it enhance your career?

Just asking, coz I'm thinking of doing a further course but am in two minds, so am trying to get insights...
          Yes it's a tough course, but then any postgrad course is going to be.I'm lucky - as I'm young and single and don't work weekends I don't have a problem spending an entire weekend on an assignment (but then I like to work under pressure). Why am I doing it? To keep me interested after my pre-reg, and to set me up for getting on a prescribing course after I've finished it (the course takes 2 yrs, 3 for a masters, and you need 2 yrs post reg experience to go on a prescribing course).

If you are seriously thinking about doing the Aston course I would suggest getting in touch with Kay Wood and asking her to send you some of the course material so you can see the level it's at. Kay works very hard to keep everything up to date. Her email address should be on the Aston website.

Comment

^ I'm hoping to do a prescribing course too, after I've been 2 full years post-registration. I've been researching the process of enrolling onto a prescribing course - and its real tough if you are in community. First there is the RPSGB clinical governance guidelines for pharmacist prescribing which are nearly impossible for community pharmacies to comply with (until access to patients medical history is available), plus then there is the need for a medical mentor / supervisor, and last but not least a statement from a supporting organisation (usually the PCT) that there is likely to be a need for the service. What a pain, just to be able to do the course! Still, I'm hopin to find a way to do it, hopefully in 2008.

Comment

^ I'm hoping to do a prescribing course too, after I've been 2 full years post-registration. I've been researching the process of enrolling onto a prescribing course - and its real tough if you are in community. First there is the RPSGB clinical governance guidelines for pharmacist prescribing which are nearly impossible for community pharmacies to comply with (until access to patients medical history is available), plus then there is the need for a medical mentor / supervisor, and last but not least a statement from a supporting organisation (usually the PCT) that there is likely to be a need for the service. What a pain, just to be able to do the course! Still, I'm hopin to find a way to do it, hopefully in 2008.
              It might be quicker and easier to just qualify as a nurse!
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                It might be quicker and easier to just qualify as a nurse!
                Nurses have to wait three years post-registration before they can enroll on a prescribing course, so thanks but no thanks for the idea
                Last edited by Raju; 14, April 2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X