Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dispensing Doctors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dispensing Doctors

    I was working at a pharmacy on Friday, that is next to a dispensing doctors surgery. The relationship with the surgery is good.

    The driver got his wifes script dispensed at the shop, and then went out to do his deliveries. He later returned, and said they had prescribed his wife the wrong drug. I checked the script, and we had dispensed what was on it, and it turned out she had been stopped on this medication, and changed to another one.

    Old drug = Pantoprazole

    New drug = Omeprazole

    He went next door to the surgery, and was a bit miffed as she paid for her prescriptions, and he felt he had just wasted £6.65. He came back and said they had agreed to refund him £6.65, but they wanted him to give them the drugs (Pantoprazole) we had dispensed!

    Answers on a postcard................
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

  • #2
    This verges on the ridiculous. Sgy obviously changed to omep to save money just as they are doing with ator to simv.
    Too scared to stannd up to pt and say now pct policy. we are expecting trouble as PCt has put glucosamine in the 'red book' and Drs not supposed to prescribe any longer.
    johnep

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by johnep View Post
      This verges on the ridiculous. Sgy obviously changed to omep to save money just as they are doing with ator to simv.
      Too scared to stannd up to pt and say now pct policy. we are expecting trouble as PCt has put glucosamine in the 'red book' and Drs not supposed to prescribe any longer.
      johnep
      So why do you think they wanted the drugs we had dispensed in return for his £6.65 being refunded?????
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have had pts bringing meds back in similar circumstances, saying can you use them?. When we reply that we cannot reissue returned meds, they replied 'Oh sgy told me they would have them if you did not'.
        practice was dispensing.
        johnep

        Comment


        • #5
          Legal?

          Originally posted by johnep View Post
          I have had pts bringing meds back in similar circumstances, saying can you use them?. When we reply that we cannot reissue returned meds, they replied 'Oh sgy told me they would have them if you did not'.
          practice was dispensing.
          johnep
          Isn't that illegal?
          Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
          Thank you for contributing to this site.

          Comment


          • #6
            More to the point, what was a dispensing doctors' doing next to a pharmacy?
            I thought that doctors were only allowed to become "dispensing doctors" when there was no other dispensing facility in the area, so that the patients didn't have to travel miles for their meds...
            Incidentally, in most european countries it is illegal for the same person to be on both the Pharmacy register and either the Medical, Dental, or Veterinary register; there is deemed to be a "conflict of interest"...
            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

            Comment


            • #7
              Dispensing Doctors

              Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
              More to the point, what was a dispensing doctors' doing next to a pharmacy?
              I thought that doctors were only allowed to become "dispensing doctors" when there was no other dispensing facility in the area, so that the patients didn't have to travel miles for their meds...
              Incidentally, in most european countries it is illegal for the same person to be on both the Pharmacy register and either the Medical, Dental, or Veterinary register; there is deemed to be a "conflict of interest"...
              I don't think it works like that always Zo. In the town of Beverley East Yorks there are six dispensing Dr's!
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

              Comment


              • #8
                Declaration of interest - I have occasionally been known to write articles for the Dispensing Doctors Association.

                As healthcare professionals we have more in common with dispensing doctors than we do with multiple pharmacy companies. The fact they they retain enough independence to bend the rules in the patients best interest isn't something that we should resent but something that we should aspire to. We can and should work toether for the benefit of patients (and our common interests) rather than indulge in a turf war.

                Jeff

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by admin View Post
                  Isn't that illegal?
                  I have a feeling it ain't illegal, just unethical and against good practice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    When I first arrived in the UK and heard about these dispensing doctors, my initial reaction was "Hang on, that means they've in effect been given a licence to print money!"; No-one has yet provided me with an explanation of how the NHS keeps tabs on whether all Rxs claimed for by disp. Drs have actually been supplied to real patients...
                    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                      No-one has yet provided me with an explanation of how the NHS keeps tabs on whether all Rxs claimed for by disp. Drs have actually been supplied to real patients...
                      Same anti-fraud lot that keep an eye on us - their phone number was posted on another thread.
                      So pharmacy questions the probity of dispensing doctors - and at the same time asks for the right to prescribe.
                      A dispensing doctor likens acquisitive pharmacists to sewer rats.
                      Explain how that helps either profession or patient?

                      Jeff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Agree with Jeff here. We are trusted as pharmacists to make correct endorsements so that we get paid for what we've given out and yet we expect the NHS to not trust dispensing doctors?
                        It doesn't help us as a profession to cast aspersions on the motives and integrity of other professionals.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The big difference is that we're not actually printing out the Rxs ourselves!!!
                          I do not feel "insulted" that the PPS thinks I'm not trustworthy enough to not need 2% of the scripts I submit being run through "post-payment verification";
                          And just think how many more patients Shipman could have murdered if nobody had "cast aspersions" and "questioned" his integrity!
                          Why do you think GPs aren't allowed to prescribe CDs to themselves?
                          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                            The big difference is that we're not actually printing out the Rxs ourselves!!!
                            but you also wrote

                            I still maintain that I have been "prescribing" since the first day that I qualified; just because I don't use green bits of paper and I restrict myself to medicines that don't have a little square that says "POM" (or Prescription-Only Medicine), doesn't mean it's not prescribing?!
                            So are you saying that your "prescribing" is questionable?

                            Jeff

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              The fact they they retain enough independence to bend the rules in the patients best interest isn't something that we should resent but something that we should aspire to. We can and should work toether for the benefit of patients (and our common interests) rather than indulge in a turf war.

                              Jeff
                              I completely agree with you Jeff. However, whenever I 'bend the rules' the paranoid side of me thinks the RPSGB are going to come and hunt me down, tear up my certificate and limit my lifelong drug intake to Lemsip.

                              I think the Doctors care less about bending the rules for 2 reasons:
                              1. They do not know the Medicines Act inside out, like all good pharmacists do.
                              (But ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law).
                              2. I expect they will be supported by the the BMA unless something was seriously wrong.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X