Drinking and working in a pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking and working in a pharmacy

Someone I know done some experience in a local pharmacy. I'm not sure if the man working there was a pharmacist or just a boss but he does do a few tasks like pouring liquids in to bottles etc. Well i'm not sure how often this happens but he was consuming alcohol while he was working there.

Is this quite frequent in pharmacies?

Used to be in the late 50s early 60s. Remember being told of one locum who regularly took a swig of paregoric (Tinct opii camph).

When I was a rep called on the cruise ships in Tilbury docks, Talking to the ships dispenser, may have been a pharmacist but so long ago, he told me that we would have a drop of Nux Vomica. However, the bottle contained whisky and I was very lucky to get by the policeman on the dock gate and sleep it off in a convenient field.

johnep

Comment

Drinking In Pharmacies

I've never seen it, but I think you get into a lot of trouble toay!
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

The man drank whiskey apparently...he was a bit rude to me when i went in there, but after he found out I knew quite a bit about another local pharmacy he tried to get information of me about them. Obviously he pissed me off so i nudged it off, but the other women in there tried to find out too. Oh how i love competition...

Comment

Originally posted by miss.mystery View Post
          Someone I know done some experience in a local pharmacy. I'm not sure if the man working there was a pharmacist or just a boss but he does do a few tasks like pouring liquids in to bottles etc. Well i'm not sure how often this happens but he was consuming alcohol while he was working there.

Is this quite frequent in pharmacies?
          If he's definately the pharmacist I'd report him to the RPSGB. If he's not the pharmacist, I'd report the pharmacist who's supposed to be in control of the shop for employing a drunken twit.

Comment

Originally posted by N.T View Post
            If he's definately the pharmacist I'd report him to the RPSGB. If he's not the pharmacist, I'd report the pharmacist who's supposed to be in control of the shop for employing a drunken twit.
            Having a drink does not mean that I was drunk.

Jeff

Comment

Drinking in the Pharmacy

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Jeff
              Seriously, I wonder how much you would have to drink before the society frowned upon it, or you went before the statt comm. You could go out for lunch at a pub, and have half a pint of beer but you may smell of ale, but as Jeff says you would not be drunk. How would they measure it - the same as for driving? Or would you have to be falling around to get into trouble?
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Jeff
                I do not think consumption of any amount of alcohol should be allowed. Especially on the premises. The job we do requires absolutely 100% concentration at all times, otherwise the worst may happen. Even half a pint can lead to fuzzy sleepy head in the post-prandial period. And smelling of EtOH just isn't professional.

Comment

Drinking in Pharmacies

Well, it poses questions for those of us who do on-calls. Stressful day at work and I love a good glass of wine in the evening. Only problem is when on-call I feel like I can't because I have professional responsibilities to uphold. I also feel sure that there was a Hospital Pharmacist who went to Stat com for being drunk whilst on-call, not too sure what happened to him?!

Also, we don't allow any drinking (even of water) in the dispensary. You never know what might fly into your tea when you drop that bottle of tablets....

Comment

Re: Drinking and working in a pharmacy

I thought that drinking whilst at work for a pharmacist is the type of thing pharmacists would get struck off for?

Comment

I believe that there is a difference between having a drink and being drunk.

A pharmacist that I used to work for never mentioned anything heard in the shop regardless of whether a friend had told him it as a friend or as a pharmacist and then he knew he had never repeated anything he shouldn't and he had the same feeling toward alcohol. He never touched a drop and then he knew that he hadn't had too much.

I myself don't make a habit of it but a few months ago I was working in a shop that was having a refit and you could taste the dust! At lunchtime the staff room was dirty so I went for a walk and ended up in a pub. I had a pint to cut through the dust in my throat and I swear it was the best I'd ever tasted.
                      It wasn't a very busy shop so I wasn't too worried. (I'm also lucky in that my father was an alcoholic so I've always got a little voice inside my head telling me to watch that the NEED never outweighs the DESIRE)

The argument that you need 100% concentration all the time is a good one but I don't believe a pint will affect you any more than working in a short staffed shop doing 400-600 Rxs a day, the constantly ringing phone or 10 hour work shifts.

And one that I'm sure 75% of us do, if you're having a bitch of a day then you drink cups and cups of coffee. Anyone seen any evidence as to what that might do to alertness and judgement? (I haven't I would like to though!)
                      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Raju View Post
                        I thought that drinking whilst at work for a pharmacist is the type of thing pharmacists would get struck off for?
                        Drinking alcoholic beverages does not mix with pharmacy at all.
                        Even at the weekend with no pharmacy work being done you could still be called out if you are a keyholder for the shop.

You are also not permitted to eat or drink in the dispensary.
                        Reference the thread on breaks.
                        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I believe that drinking any amount of alcohol is not acceptable while at work. I also do not allow myself to drink too much after work if I have to work on the next day as my hangovers are pretty bad

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
                            I I don't believe a pint will affect you any more than working in a short staffed shop doing 400-600 Rxs a day, the constantly ringing phone or 10 hour work shifts.
                            So, what about a pint at lunch then back to 400 items in the afternoon?

Beer makes me snoozy in the afternoon. Nobody can argue that if they have to concentrate 100% it won't affect them.

Comment

Think I answered that a little too quickly and lightheartedly. I don't think I would have had that pint at a very busy pharmacy and it's the only one I've imbibed while mid duty in the last 13 years.

The only truly safe practise is No Alcohol while on or mid duty.

I still think though that meeting an old friend at lunch and having a swift half should not be grounds for Stat Comm, getting pissed every lunchtime is a very different matter.
                              Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                              pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                              eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                              X