Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy workforce

Hi.
    I have exams looming once again in January. Whilst reading through my notes today on the pharmacy workforce, I came across these points (amongst others):

- the number of males entering the workforce is dropping whilst the numbers of females is steadily increasing
    - the pharmacy workforce is becoming increasingly feminised

We're expected to think about the impact and implications of feminisation of the profession. I'm thinking along the lines of the profession being demoted due to increasing feminisation (as has happened with teaching) and wages not going up with inflation.

Can anyone think of any more? Any help appreciated!

pharmacy workforce

When I was at SOP London entry was 36/year. 24 males and 12 females.

Now is 60% females and 40% males. It is an unfortunate fact of life that as a profession becomes more feminised, so salaries tend to fall. One reason is that married/partnered ladies will tend to accept lower rates as their partner is earning, whereas the reverse not so frequently so.

However, in admin etc where still mainly male dominated, then salaries now nudging 100k viz recent vacancy at RSPGB. One or two pharmacists have moved into hospital management where salaries are around 60k.

Perhaps someone has a survey showing comparative rates among male/female dominated jobs.
    johnep

Comment

Thanks for your input johnep.

I guess I'm preempting the question I'm going to get as: "Describe the recent changes in the UK workforce with respect to gender and discuss the impact/implications of these changes."

So I've got:
      a) Changes = regurgitate from notes:
      - more females, less males because:
      i) more females coming into profession
      ii) less males coming into profession
      iii) more older males retiring from the profession

Why more females coming in:
      - women encouraged to study further since 1970s(?)
      - women choosing pharmacy due to flexibility of career
      - ?????

Why males discouraged:
      - males attracted by entrepreneur/business opportunities: due to growth of multiples = lack of these opportunities
      - ?????

b) impact = feminisation
      implications:
      i) pay not going up with inflation - women more likely to accept lower pay due to spouse earning
      ii) status of profession demoted (as teaching)
      iii) work intensification: expected to do more work for less pay
      iv) women practice differently to men. increased female participation may alter the nature of pharmacy practice: nature of pharmacy work becomes more clinical than business ('cos women more caring... arguable?)
      v) males put off pharmacy as a career 'cos it's seen as a 'girl thing'? - do you think so?
      vi) females more likely to take time off due to domestic reasons. Females also more likely to work less hours - workforce shortages?

I can see I've fleshed out my essay here! Sorry for boring anyone who's read this far!

Any opinions on what I've concocted though?

BTW: 36 people in your year. There are ~ 150 people in my year!
      Last edited by hannahd; 21, December 2006, 02:11 PM.

Comment

You could also discuss the different work patterns each gender follows. Women are more likely to take time of for maternity leave vs men taking paternity leave. Women are also more likely to work part time for a period after starting a family.

Intake have also increased since you started your course, Manchester now takes 205 approx.
        coconn

Comment

Thanks coconn - will edit post to add this.

Intake for my year was around 190. We seem to have lost some people over the years!

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
            iv) women practice differently to men. increased female participation may alter the nature of pharmacy practice: nature of pharmacy work becomes more clinical than business ('cos women more caring... arguable?)
            Questions
            Has the feminisation of the profession led to a more rule based (SOP) led profession?
            Do appearances before Stat Com reflect the gender make up of the profession.
            Does the RPSGB council (or candidate lists) reflect the gender balance of the profession?
            Do voting patterns appear to be gender driven?

Jeff

Comment

The question I was expecting re:feminisation of profession didn't turn up. We got asked about job satisfaction levels among pharmacists and I thought of you guys!

Comment

So what did you say?
                Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I sorta mentioned that some pharmacists are very happy with their jobs and the stuff that makes them happy (thanks for the material on that Zoggite)!
                  Then counter-argued with the studies that state that around 50% of the pharmacy workforce in GB are dissatisfied with their jobs and the causes of dissatisfaction (which were pretty easy to remember having read alot on this site)!

So thank you peepz for (unwittingly) providing me with plenty of material to write about!

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                    I sorta mentioned that some pharmacists are very happy with their jobs and the stuff that makes them happy (thanks for the material on that Zoggite)!
                    Then counter-argued with the studies that state that around 50% of the pharmacy workforce in GB are dissatisfied with their jobs and the causes of dissatisfaction (which were pretty easy to remember having read alot on this site)!

So thank you peepz for (unwittingly) providing me with plenty of material to write about!
                    What did they say when you said 50% of pharmacists were dissatisfied with their jobs? What causes did you give?
                    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

The 50% dissatisfaction statistic came from a study that was carried out in 2001. A more recent study has stated that job dissatisfaction has now dropped to 15% but I don't think that reflects the wider opinion very well.

The more recent study found that community pharmacists were unhappy with the daily demands of job, the long hours, the lack of a professional role, the monotony of workload, the lack of breaks, the isolation from peers, the lack of status, the lack of challenge and the lack of skill utilisation! I regularly read this stuff here and I can see where you guys are coming from!

Hospital pharmacists were dissatisifed for different reasons such as promotion prospects, salary and lack of opportunities for promotion.

Comment

whats the name of the study? Yea in my course i think there are more girls than males.

Comment

Originally posted by confused.com View Post
                          whats the name of the study? Yea in my course i think there are more girls than males.
                          Check out:
                          http://www.pjonline.com/pdf/conferen..._suppl_b17.pdf

Comment

Working...
                          X