Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are older Martindale's worth buying?

Hi,

I have been offered a copy of Martindale: Complete drug reference second hand.

Its the 33Rev Ed edition (25 April 2002) and the person is willing to let it go for about £10. Given the price it seems like a fantastic bargain, but is it now too outdated to be useful?

I want it for academic purposes mostly; I won't be starting my pharmacy degree for a year or so. I would find having a hard-copy of martindale rather useful as I used the 15day electronic trial extensively (MedicinesComplete.)

So basicly:

.Is the 33rd edition still going to cut the mustard for a few years or is it already too outdated?

.Will it be worth holding too during my degree (obviously as one of many references.)

Thanks,

mr_colt

Originally posted by mr_colt View Post
    Hi,

I have been offered a copy of Martindale: Complete drug reference second hand.

Its the 33Rev Ed edition (25 April 2002) and the person is willing to let it go for about £10. Given the price it seems like a fantastic bargain, but is it now too outdated to be useful?

I want it for academic purposes mostly; I won't be starting my pharmacy degree for a year or so. I would find having a hard-copy of martindale rather useful as I used the 15day electronic trial extensively (MedicinesComplete.)

So basicly:

.Is the 33rd edition still going to cut the mustard for a few years or is it already too outdated?

.Will it be worth holding too during my degree (obviously as one of many references.)

Thanks,

mr_colt
    For just a tenner I'd probably buy it, but I'd never stretch to the price of a new one. In over 10 years of being a pharmacist I have used it about 6 times in total.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Your uni. may offer free (unlimited) online access to it.

As for using it as a reference source, I've only used it once in the past 3.5 years (as a student).

Comment

Martindale

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
        Your uni. may offer free (unlimited) online access to it.

As for using it as a reference source, I've only used it once in the past 3.5 years (as a student).
        Sometimes Martindale is not very useful.
        Suppose you want to check the formula of an enteral feed?
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
          Sometimes Martindale is not very useful.
          Suppose you want to check the formula of an enteral feed?
          I guess it's not very useful at that but hey I have access to loads of online resources:
          http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/...ces/databases/

Comment

I'd buy it for only a tenner. I used it loads at Uni, but maybe i'm a geek. Although it's out of date it's still an excellent ref source for academic purposes.

Comment

old martindales

These books are useful as perhaps 99% of info still current. My main use of Martindale is finding UK equivalent of overseas products.
              johnep

Comment

I second Johnep, the overseas products bit is definitely the most used. I reckon I'd buy it for a tenner, problem is where would you keep the bugger?

have you seen the new one's two volumes!
                Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
                pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                X