minor ailment scheme - please explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minor ailment scheme - please explain

what is the minor ailment scheme and also what is the difference between a supplementary and independant subscriber??

The Minor Ailment scheme is a Patient Group Directive (PGD) whereby POM medicines can be given without a prescription

The Dr has basically authorised a script as long as the answers on the forms are answered correctly.

At the moment, in Cornwall anyway, we can give:

Morning After Pill
    Fucithalmic or Chloramphenicol for conjunctivitis
    Fucidin for Impetigo
    Trimethoprim for minor Urinary Tract infections in women
    Timodine for infected nappy rash

I think that Supplementary and Independent prescribers are interchangeable terms.

I am awaiting severe flaming for that last statement!
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Prescribing

Originally posted by Linnear View Post
      The Minor Ailment scheme is a Patient Group Directive (PGD) whereby POM medicines can be given without a prescription

The Dr has basically authorised a script as long as the answers on the forms are answered correctly.

At the moment, in Cornwall anyway, we can give:

Morning After Pill
      Fucithalmic or Chloramphenicol for conjunctivitis
      Fucidin for Impetigo
      Trimethoprim for minor Urinary Tract infections in women
      Timodine for infected nappy rash

I think that Supplementary and Independent prescribers are interchangeable terms.

I am awaiting severe flaming for that last statement!
      The CP form for emergency supplies where you can give a full course of something on the NHS is a PGD for the whole of Scotland.

I'm not sure if the terms are the same Chris, but brain is in "weekend mode" and I would hate to disturb it to think what the difference is.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Scotland

Originally posted by Shaani View Post
        what is the minor ailment scheme and also what is the difference between a supplementary and independant subscriber??
        Check out what's happening in Scotland.
        They seem to be way out in front with the services they commision from pharmacies.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

That's because the Scots always want more for their money!
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
          pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
          eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Linnear View Post

Not necessarily, unfortunately!
            More often than not, Minor ailment Schemes are merely a way for patients to get OTC medicines for free that they would otherwise have had to buy over the counter: for example headlice treatments:in certain areas around Manchester, if a mother goes into a Pharmacy asking for a headlice treatment for her child, the Phcist can give it to her for free providing the patient fulfills all the set criteria and that all the forms are completed adequately; it's almost like the Phcist issuing a prescription for it, he then claims reimbursement by the PCT for the cost of the product supplied plus a small feee for his time. The patient is the real winner as he/she has saved him/herself the £4 or £5 that the stuff would have cost to buy.
            In short, I'm not a fan of these schemes, they cost us and the NHS quite a bit of time and money, just to save the patients a few ££!
            In my experience, Cornwall is more the exception than the rule in including so many POMs in its scheme.
            Last edited by Zoggite; 9, December 2006, 09:48 PM.
            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Re: minor ailment scheme - please explain

Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
              Not necessarily, unfortunately!
              More often than not, Minor ailment Schemes are merely a way for patients to get OTC medicines for free that they would otherwise have had to buy over the counter: for example headlice treatments:in certain areas around Manchester, if a mother goes into a Pharmacy asking for a headlice treatment for her child, the Phcist can give it to her for free providing the patient fulfills all the set criteria and that all the forms are completed adequately; it's almost like the Phcist issuing a prescription for it, he then claims reimbursement by the PCT for the cost of the product supplied plus a small feee for his time. The patient is the real winner as he/she has saved him/herself the £4 or £5 that the stuff would have cost to buy.
              In short, I'm not a fan of these schemes, they cost us and the NHS quite a bit of time and money, just to save the patients a few ££!
              In my experience, Cornwall is more the exception than the rule in including so many POMs in its scheme.
              In most pharmacies in rough areas people do come in and ask what they can get for free, then go through a list...something for coughs, thrush, athelete's foot and ringworms please. For all members of my 7 member household please. And I would like the freebies gift wrapped too please.
              [CENTER]Am I the only who feels they've just sold their soul into a life of drugs[/CENTER]

Comment

But the same mother would otherwise get an appointment to see a doctor (or Nurse) to get a prescription before coming into the pharmacy at an additional cost to the NHS.
                I'm all in favour of them but I think there needs to be more control as I have heard of customers demanding "free stuff".
                [I]Nice information. I like your information very much. It is a perfect information that clears all my doubts and gives a clear idea regarding that. It is really advantageous for me.I would definably take the benefit of it.[/I]

Comment

Are minor ailment schemes still in practice?

Comment

Originally posted by Ap0thecary View Post
                    Are minor ailment schemes still in practice?
                    in scotland and some rich pcts in england!
                    Freelance Pharmacist. I speak the truth.

Comment

Are they not benefical anymore? Or are they just too expensive hence only rich PCT's commission them?

Comment

Originally posted by dip32za View Post
                        in scotland and some rich pcts in england!
                        I think the word benefit has been replaced by the word budget. Too expensive, no money etc etc etc. However there is plenty for the Scots. Free prescriptions, free education, free university all subsidised by the UK taxpayers.
                        Freelance Pharmacist. I speak the truth.

Comment

getting back to the first post.
                          Independent prescribers can prescribe any medicine (except Diamorphine, Dipipanone and Cocaine for addiction) on their own responsibility and within their own competence. Supplementary prescribers can only prescribe within a clinical management plan that is written by a doctor, for example: Keep Patient A's BP within a set range, Use your clinical knowledge to prescribe CCBs ACEs AIIAs and thiazides to achieve this. (I'm neither, so I'm paraphrasing)

Comment

Working...
                          X