Questions to English Pharmacy Board Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions to English Pharmacy Board Candidates

I'd like to see some of the questions that people have for the candidates for the EPB.

My question is:

The format of the preregistration year and registration examination is under review as part of the fitness to practise consultation.
    What do you think about the format of the registration exam, and what changes would you suggest?
    _____

I've always thought that it was stupid to have a closed book exercise.

I NEVER trust my memory for anything unless I'm 100% sure I'm right.

e.g. No decongestants for people with high BP.

If there is ever any doubt I look it up.

Perhaps the exam could be arranged to be one open book paper.

I also see the need for some form of testing of registered pharmacists' knowledge but I don't see why CPD couldn't be replaced with online tests from CPPE, RPSGB or whoever and cut down some of the needless paperwork we have to do.
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Chris,
      Do you really think you could work with Dorothy Drury?

Jeff

Comment

Pre-reg exam

Hi Guys

I personally think the pre-reg exam is ok as it is. I thought the closed book was the best part - you can't look up how to calculate the rate to set a drip for a certain dose of drug per hour, you need to be able to calculate it if asked.

The open book was like life in a pharmacy - looking up things in double time! I think the pressure of it was quite like the working environment, so was good for that as well.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Agree in some respects admin but some of the closed book questions we had were pathetic.

One that sticks out in my mind:

How much Witepsol base would be required to make a Paracetamol suppository?

Can't remember displacement values, weights etc.

We hadn't done anything like that in four years and have certainly not needed it since.

Yes you do need to know some things but you're never really in a closed book situation at work and you never should be.
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Closed/Open Exams

Originally posted by Linnear View Post

Yes you do need to know some things but you're never really in a closed book situation at work and you never should be.
            Seconded.
            Unless you are 100% certain its best to check.
            These days it takes seconds if you have a connection to the internet for the eMC, BNF etc.
            Mind you there is a book that is now out of date and not in print, "The Pharmaceutical Handbook"; this was a great collection of information relevant to practice at the time I qualified in 1981. Should be revamped and published again.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Some interesting answers so far.

In my opinion the preregistration exam in its current format does not appropriately assess the fitness to practise of the individual. It is merely a test of mental arithmatic, regurgitation of knowledge and how well you can read a book.

I'm in favour of the OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) approach of assessment - for at least part of the examination. I think this style of examination, provided done properly, better reflects the skills necessary to become a pharmacist: Communication skills, appropriate questioning and responding to symptoms.

I also think that care plans should be included as part of the assessment as these are good practise for practising pharmacists in my opinion.

I'll probably have the rest of the preregs and students berating me for suggesting those, but at least it will be demonstration of skills actually required on a day to day basis.
              _____

Comment

Seems like a good idea but how long do you plan to ahve the poor buggers sitting their exam for?
                Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

OSCEs would also be horrendously expensive compared to the current set up, which they already charge £170 for. Although OSCEs may provide a more realistic test, the exam is not the only point of assesment for pre-regs; your tutor is continuously assessing you throughout the year and if your tutor doesn't sign you off as fit to be a pharmacist then you can't register, regardless of how you fare in the exam. I see the exam more as a QC process, and to be honest found this summer's exam easy.

Comment

Originally posted by richtagg View Post
                    I'll probably have the rest of the preregs and students berating me for suggesting those, but at least it will be demonstration of skills actually required on a day to day basis.
                    Hmmm. I have ploughed through GCSEs (15 exams), A Levels ((20 exams) and nearly through a 4 year degree without a break (60 exams). I am nervous at the prospect of being assessed for a full year by a pre-reg tutor followed by 'the exam'. I am tired of being tested year on year and don't want to take a gap year yet in case I like my freedom too much and give all this up. I just want to get on that register as simply as I can. Why make it more difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by hannahd View Post
                      Hmmm. I have ploughed through GCSEs (15 exams), A Levels ((20 exams) and nearly through a 4 year degree without a break (60 exams). I am nervous at the prospect of being assessed for a full year by a pre-reg tutor followed by 'the exam'. I am tired of being tested year on year and don't want to take a gap year yet in case I like my freedom too much and give all this up. I just want to get on that register as simply as I can. Why make it more difficult?
                      I don't think that would be more difficult as these skills should be well developed by the end of the year. I just think that the current format of the exam is not the best way to assess a professional.
                      _____

Comment

Technician on English Pharmacy Board

A question to the candidates on a forum in which technicians may contribute.

If the English Pharmacy board is a professional body that is meant to represent pharmacists should there be a place for a technician?

Jeff (well if you're going to stick your head up expect me to take pot shots)

Comment

Technicians on English board

Its only fair that they should have a place to represent other techs but not pharmacists.

we should each have our own representatives to fight our corner.. a tech cannot represent a pharmacist...and pharmacits should not represent techs because not all their interests will be served
                          Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by kemzero View Post
                            Its only fair that they should have a place to represent other techs but not pharmacists.

we should each have our own representatives to fight our corner.. a tech cannot represent a pharmacist...and pharmacits should not represent techs because not all their interests will be served
                            Well said, I second that!
                            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

I think it's dodgy too. Technicians' input may be of use but I do not see that there should be one on the board.

It seems to me that Lambeth is so scared by Foster etc. that they're trying to make policy to keep up with any changes that the Govt my foist on us and make it look liken they're representing everyone.

When actually they seem tob e representing no-one.
                              Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Working...
                              X