Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pharmacy manager or pharmacist?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pharmacy manager or pharmacist?

    Hey every1
    could you tell me what are the extra duties of a pharmacy manager cas compared to just a regular pharmacist?
    Would you advise a newly qualified pharmacist to take on a pharmacy manager position at this stage?
    thanks

  • #2
    NOOOO!!!!!!
    You'll have quite enough on your plate at first just getting to know the ins and outs of primary care structures, how surgeries work, how patients function (!), and so on... without having to start worrying about staff recruitment/appraisal/retention issues, sorting out their holiday entitlements, pay queries,staff health & safety regulations, and generally overseeing/being responsible for the running of a shop, basically. You're overqualified for that, IMHO!
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ash19feen View Post
      Would you advise a newly qualified pharmacist to take on a pharmacy manager position at this stage?
      thanks
      NO! see my previous post...
      Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

      Comment


      • #4
        No!!!!!!!!!

        NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Especially not for Boots - their paperwork trail is ridiculous!
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ash19feen View Post
          Hey every1
          could you tell me what are the extra duties of a pharmacy manager cas compared to just a regular pharmacist?
          Would you advise a newly qualified pharmacist to take on a pharmacy manager position at this stage?
          thanks
          If it's a company you did your pre-reg with then yes if you think you're up to it.
          If it's a multiple - see what they offer in managment training before you take on the role.
          If it's an independant - and you ambition is to own your own pharmacy - then yes.
          Lots to be said for some initial time spent as a locum though - seeing other peoples systems and proceedures allows you to later on use other peoples best practices.

          Jeff

          Comment


          • #6
            Pharmacy Manager/Pharmacist

            Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            If it's a company you did your pre-reg with then yes if you think you're up to it.
            If it's a multiple - see what they offer in managment training before you take on the role.
            If it's an independant - and you ambition is to own your own pharmacy - then yes.
            Lots to be said for some initial time spent as a locum though - seeing other peoples systems and proceedures allows you to later on use other peoples best practices.

            Jeff
            Appoint a 'second in command' to sort things like holidays etc out. Fix it with the company to appoint a 'senior assistant'. It's well worth it.
            Most of the best run pharmacies seem to me to be where the assistants are in their 30's or 40's, ie their children are a bit more independant, or have grown up. They have a different work ethic to late teens/early 20's.

            Some amazing things happen, such as staff member 'B' turns up who is not on duty that day, it turns out that staff member A has started with a migraine and has called 'B' to fill in for the morning.

            The holiday rota gets filled in with the staff 'horse trading' amongst themselves.

            People like these are not uncommon in the smaller chains where people matter. Find one of these and you will see how well a pharmacy can be run.
            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
            How times change.

            If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

            Comment


            • #7
              In my day (hitches thumbs into braces) the companies would put you into a relief nmanager post so you could get the most experience in as little time as possible.

              I found that quite good as you can cherry pick all of the best ideas from all of the different shops.

              Of course that was before bloody SOPs! I suppose now every shop has to do the same thing or the superintendent pharmacist will have a coronary!
              Linnear MRPharmS

              Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

              In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



              For handy pharmacy links try
              pharmacistance.co.uk

              If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
              eloquent-e-tales

              Comment


              • #8
                Can anyone list the advantages (other than remuneration)in having the title "manager" as well as being the pharmacist?
                Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                  Can anyone list the advantages (other than remuneration)in having the title "manager" as well as being the pharmacist?
                  Yeah you get to deal with all the lovely customer complaints!
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                    Can anyone list the advantages (other than remuneration)in having the title "manager" as well as being the pharmacist?
                    Depends who you work for.
                    The ability to hire the staff you want. (that's quality of not number of)
                    The abilty to argue the branch budget
                    The ability to set a direction for the branch
                    A feeling of ownership - it's your branch - which can be a motivator.

                    Jeff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zoggite View Post
                      Can anyone list the advantages (other than remuneration)in having the title "manager" as well as being the pharmacist?
                      Can't think of many off hand.

                      Originally posted by jeff
                      The ability to hire the staff you want. (that's quality of not number of)
                      The abilty to argue the branch budget
                      The ability to set a direction for the branch
                      A feeling of ownership - it's your branch - which can be a motivator.
                      Jeff, you make some good points but I feel that the above would only be for small multiples. From what I've seen of the big boys you get no say in anything.

                      I left my last manager's post because we had a serious shoplifting problem. The shop was bell shaped, wider at the front and we used to lose all the stock in the corners.

                      I moved the gondolas so that I could see into the corners from the dispensary and the shop lifting was stopped.

                      The next visit from the Area Manager (before anyone had been able to assess the effect on takings) he said I had to move them back because the gondola ends weren't facing people as they came thfough the doors!

                      I said fine and asked how much notice I had to serve.
                      Linnear MRPharmS

                      Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

                      In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.



                      For handy pharmacy links try
                      pharmacistance.co.uk

                      If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
                      eloquent-e-tales

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Linnear,
                        I suspect that a lot depends on the area manager, rather than the company.

                        My area manager happened to be very supportive.
                        Allowed me to increase staffing levels - hire my own staff - argued to get my branch what we believed it needed (Must of been the only newly acquired Lloyds branch nagging for a consulting room) - further increase staffing levels.

                        Jeff

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          In Boots if you have the word manager in your title you get an extra weeks holiday. That is six instead of five.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                            My area manager happened to be very supportive.
                            Allowed me to increase staffing levels - hire my own staff - argued to get my branch what we believed it needed (Must of been the only newly acquired Lloyds branch nagging for a consulting room) - further increase staffing levels.

                            Jeff
                            Realistically though, wouldn't you have achieved the same if you'd been the pharmacist "only", without the title of "manager"?
                            Last edited by Zoggite; 2, December 2006, 04:20 PM.
                            Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The best way...

                              Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
                              Most of the best run pharmacies seem to me to be where the assistants are in their 30's or 40's, ie their children are a bit more independant, or have grown up. They have a different work ethic to late teens/early 20's.

                              Some amazing things happen, such as staff member 'B' turns up who is not on duty that day, it turns out that staff member A has started with a migraine and has called 'B' to fill in for the morning.

                              The holiday rota gets filled in with the staff 'horse trading' amongst themselves.

                              People like these are not uncommon in the smaller chains where people matter. Find one of these and you will see how well a pharmacy can be run.
                              That's exactly how we do it. A single independent and it runs like clockwork.
                              Our other pharmacy which we sold to a multiple a few years ago hasn't had a regular manager for three years but has a long term locum with my former staff taking the managerial responsibility.
                              The spirit of the time hath taught me speed- Wm Shakespeare- "King John"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X