Children Picking up Scripts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children Picking up Scripts

Does anyone know if there is a legal minimum age for someone picking up scripts on behalf of somebody else?

I ask because lately I have had about 5 or 6 kids sent in to collect their parents scripts for them. The type of person that sends their kids to pick up their sleeping pills for them don't usually take too kindly to me refusing this, and it often leads to shouting, swearing, threats at me etc.

If a young person, say 14 or 15, has been to the Dr's by themselves, and have a script for say amoxicillin, then I usually do it and tell them to put in inside their coat and go straight home. I once had a child mugged for their script for calpol on the way to where I worked, so thats why I tell them to hide it.

However, if a child of say 9 or 10 comes in for a parents fluoxetine/temazepam etc etc I always refuse. I once had a guy who was literally outside the door and came back in and threatened to thump me for this. He literally could not be bothered to walk into the shop, so sent his child in.

So what do other people do? And what happened to the zero tolerance approach to threats etc? We used to have posters hanging up in some stores, but I haven't seen any for ages. My local Dr's still has theirs hung on the wall I noticed.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

"Does anyone know if there is a legal minimum age for someone picking up scripts on behalf of somebody else?"
    No idea.
    However a surprisingly (shockingly) large number of children are also carers.

At least 175,000 according to

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6121716.stm

I'd say that there should be no hard and fast rules, however I imagine that some SOP's will attempt to replace professional judgment.

Jeff

Comment

I usually gauge it by the child.

I've had eight year olds that seem competent enough to collect an Rx and then 16 year olds that I wouldn't allow to pick up a packet of Strepsils.

Our local PCT (Booo! Hissss!) sent out letters regarding abusive patients. They said you can ban as long as you sign post to the enxt pharmacy. But also highlighted other options like only being allowed in for Rxs etc.

Will see if I can find a copy and post details.
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Children Picking up Scripts

If it all goes horribly wrong who will be on the front page?

"Pharmacist gives killer drugs to child"

A related one is...
        You are delivering a prescription to a patients home.
        There is only a young person at home.
        Or there is a teenager with some "friends", and you a delivering something with a higher risk?

What to do?

There has been comment that the RPSGB is demonstrating how good a regulator it is at the moment. If the government takes over regulation one day the society might actually support us in these situations!
        For the moment its best to look like a jobsworth but cover your derriere.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
          "some SOP's will attempt to replace professional judgment."

Jeff
          Nooooo...! Surely not?!?......... Whatever gave you that idea?
          Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Found the leter and it had an NHS web address regarding security etc.

http://www.cfsms.nhs.uk/pubs/sms.gen.pubs.html

Might find it useful, don't know couldn't be bothered to read it myself.
            Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
            pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
            eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Linnear

Thanks for the link.
              Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
              Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
              Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
              X