latin abbreviation u.i.d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latin abbreviation u.i.d

Does anyone know what the latin is for the abbreviation u.i.d. I know it means once daily but cannot work out what the term relates to (I have found s.i.d = semel in die)

Thanks

Are you certain it wasn't i.u.d.?
    Ze genuine Article, present & perfect!

Comment

Zogs. You know where to stick that answer!
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Abbreviations

Originally posted by Linnear
        Zogs. You know where to stick that answer!
        No, but qd in the USA means quaque die - 'once daily'
        in the UK qd - quater die.

Didn't know that the Romans got as far as the 'New World' though.
        47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

uid

Originally posted by ljc
          Does anyone know what the latin is for the abbreviation u.i.d. I know it means once daily but cannot work out what the term relates to (I have found s.i.d = semel in die)

Thanks
          Might mean use as before...
          U - untendus - to be used
          id - idem - the same.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

i still don't understand why do people actually use latin...it just adds to more confusion..or is it something traditional and show that you can use special terminology????
            Last edited by Robusty; 1, November 2006, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robusty View Post
              i still don't understand why do people actually use latin...it just adds to more confusion..or is it something traditional and show that you can use special terminology????
              To alleviate the boredom.

Jeff

Comment

use of latin

This was all part of the mystique of medicine when the pt was not supposed to know anything about what he was being given.

Mist ADT (Any damn thing)

and Pil Panus (Bread pills) were placebos as were coloured aspirin tabs.

We had a pt on Mist Gent Alk ( Gentian and bicarbonate) where the dose was a tablespoonful. She was told by the Dr to only take a teaspoonful as was a 'concentrated' mixture. In the sixties several of the pts were put on Librium or Valium. They are still with us as the 'worried well', but now tend to be on Fluoxetine.
                johnep

Comment

I've always thought it was to stop bin men etc becoming Dr's.....

Why is this called what it's called????

cardiac sphincter - the valve between the distal end of the esophagus and the stomach; the physiological sphincter at the esophagogastric junction

I've never understood this one! Everyone assumes it's in your heart.
                  Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                  Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
                  Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Nomeclature

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    I've always thought it was to stop bin men etc becoming Dr's.....

Why is this called what it's called????

cardiac sphincter - the valve between the distal end of the esophagus and the stomach; the physiological sphincter at the esophagogastric junction

I've never understood this one! Everyone assumes it's in your heart.
                    Its confusing.
                    The main problem is that the terminology we now use is built on all the previous terminology. The earlier you go the less idea of fine structure and function.
                    We now like to abbreviate everything as well - which is confusing and dangerous.
                    How times change.

Comment

Working...
                    X