Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAO: Managers/interviewers - what do you look for in a CV/application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO: Managers/interviewers - what do you look for in a CV/application?

Hello,
    This is a post for people who have had to interview prospective employees at some time. (I know most people on here are locums but at some point you might have had responsibility! )

I'm writing an article for pharmacy students/pre-regs on how to prepare a CV/application form. I'd like to find out what interviewers are looking for, so if you could answer some of these questions I'd be grateful.

1. When receiving a CV/cover letter/application what would make you put it in the bin straight away? (e.g. messy handwriting, lack of experience, lack of attention to detail etc.)
    2. Are there certain aspects of the CV which make you warm to a candidate straight away, even if lacking significant experience?
    3. Does degree grade matter to you?
    4. Can you spot a lie in a CV?
    5. Do you check up on 0, 1 or 2 references?
    6. Interests/hobbies section - does it have any influence? Or just an easy conversation topic?

Thanks.

Spelling mistakes .....a no no
    School of Pharmacy & 2:1 or above is definitely attractive but I guess its the reference that counts a 3rd class or pass with a glowing reference works fine with me as not all 1st classers have a bit of common sense as an old lecturer of mine used to say "common sense is not common " and you need a lot of that in community pharmacy...it might be a different story in hospital or the PCt as there are quite a few colleagues a p'cist can bounce ideas or stuff off..but in a community pharmacy the p'cist is literally a lone ranger ,a jack of all trades and master of none.

I would check references at least one of them.
    CVs that are not concise and straight to the point are chucked in the bin,that's where my short-listing begins as for spotting a lie/two ,a few trick questions at interview should sort that out!
    Last edited by kemzero; 19, September 2006, 05:36 PM.
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Comment

Originally posted by N.T
      Hello,
      This is a post for people who have had to interview prospective employees at some time. (I know most people on here are locums but at some point you might have had responsibility! )

I'm writing an article for pharmacy students/pre-regs on how to prepare a CV/application form. I'd like to find out what interviewers are looking for, so if you could answer some of these questions I'd be grateful.

1. When receiving a CV/cover letter/application what would make you put it in the bin straight away? (e.g. messy handwriting, lack of experience, lack of attention to detail etc.)
      2. Are there certain aspects of the CV which make you warm to a candidate straight away, even if lacking significant experience?
      3. Does degree grade matter to you?
      4. Can you spot a lie in a CV?
      5. Do you check up on 0, 1 or 2 references?
      6. Interests/hobbies section - does it have any influence? Or just an easy conversation topic?

Thanks.
      1. Any messy ones go straight in the bin. Also if somebody has photocopied their signature - this shows they have just mailed on mass and can't even be bothered to sign each letter. If it just looks like they can't be bothered to do a nice letter, that doesn't help. Always go for good quality paper and matching envelope.

Spelling mistakes always are a no no for me. It just makes me think they can't be bothered to put it through a spelling checker!

2. I think you look for somebody who's keen, and shows real interest in the subject. Attention to detail on the CV helps - dates, qualifications etc if all set out and easy to read impress me.

3. Only if it's below a 2.2 I'd say.

4. I think it usually come out if you interview them. To lie and get away with it, you have to have a very good memory. When under pressure in an interview they usually trip themselves up if lying.

5. Always

6. Yes - somebody with a good mix of intellectual and physical hobbies always appear to look better. You are looking for a good communicator, and someone who mixes well with people.

Just my opinion
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Working...
      X