OTC Imigran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTC Imigran

I read the OTC Imigran pack yesterday, and today I got a customer. After asking the questions given with the pack, it was obvious for many reasons that the product was not suitable for the person a woman was trying to buy it for (her son).

She said "I'll take a pack anyway" to which I explained why it wasn't suitable, giving the reasons why. She just said "ok, but I'll still take the pack".

I answered that she wasn't buying a pack, once again telling her it was not right for this lad. She then "informed" me that it didn't matter what I said, she was buying it anyway. I politely explained that I wasn't selling her any, to which she replied (in a very loud voice): -

F**K YOU !!!!

I wished her a nice day, but got the same reply.

Lovely eh !
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

the general public are just so lovely at times aren't they?

Comment

Yeah lovely Steve, really lovely!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

The general public have been pandered to too long.

Watchdog has taught them that they can go into any shop and if they shout and scream long enough they can get anything they want.

This has turned me into a miserable person and so i have taken a popular saying and bastardised it to:

It may be better to give than to receive but it's more fun not to give and have a valid reason!
        Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
        pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
        eloquent-e-tales

Comment

OTC Imigran

Well done Admin!!
          Its a pity there are not many more pharmacists like you!
          I agree the general public have been pandered to for far too long!
          Do you do the same for people who keep buying Nurofen Plus, Co-codamol or Kaolin and Morph as this is a real problem at my local supormarket pharmacy (i won't reveal who it is!) and the pharmacists there just let it go on!!

Comment

Originally posted by drh785
            Well done Admin!!
            Its a pity there are not many more pharmacists like you!
            I agree the general public have been pandered to for far too long!
            Do you do the same for people who keep buying Nurofen Plus, Co-codamol or Kaolin and Morph as this is a real problem at my local supormarket pharmacy (i won't reveal who it is!) and the pharmacists there just let it go on!!
            Hi

Yes I do the same for people who are obviously abusing OTC medication, as well as refusing to supple methadone addicts if they appear to be intoxicated. They don't like it, but I tell them to come back later when they've sobered up!

Comment

companies merger.

Dear Admin,

What are the questions you are supposed to ask customers requesting it? and what is the criteria for selling it as OTC please?

Another question please; what isharmaceutical companies merger? what are the reasons for it? is it like Boots and Alliance merging???
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ramroum
                Dear Admin,

What are the questions you are supposed to ask customers requesting it? and what is the criteria for selling it as OTC please?

Another question please; what isharmaceutical companies merger? what are the reasons for it? is it like Boots and Alliance merging???
                Thanks.
                There is a quite large pack that comes from the manufacturer of OTC Imigran. I can't put it all on here - get a copy of the pack - ring up the manufacturer if necessary.

The merging of two companies is when they join, and becone just one much larger company. A bigger company makes more money, owns more shops etc so I guess that's why they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by drh785
                  So what treatment options are available for OTC opiate addiction?
                  Refusal to supply is NOT a treatment.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
                    So what treatment options are available for OTC opiate addiction?
                    Refusal to supply is NOT a treatment.

Jeff
                    So do we take from that comment that you just carry on selling it to them? Refusal to supply is not a treatment, but we are not there to treat opiate addiction are we. Or should we supply smaller and smaller quantities of Kaolin and morph or whatever it is they're into.

I would think the treatment options for OTC opiate addiction are the same as for any other opiate addiction. You go visit your GP, and he and you go about making a treatment plan for you. You then gradually wean off it. Do you sell people who you know are abusing the thing they are buying - of course not!

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                      I would think the treatment options for OTC opiate addiction are the same as for any other opiate addiction. You go visit your GP, and he and you go about making a treatment plan for you. You then gradually wean off it. Do you sell people who you know are abusing the thing they are buying - of course not!
                      Provided your GP is willing to tackle addiction - many don't feel able to.
                      It also involves substituting opiates - as the OTC brands are often blacklisted.
                      There are he addiction units which will treat - at least here - but also accept that the average OTC addict wouldn't be seen dead in an addiction unit.

or there's Over-count

http://overcount.b0x.com/

or

http://www.solpadeinehelp.org.uk/

Medical professionals have by and large abdicated responsibilty for OTC addiction.
                      Politicians (and PCTs) refuse to acknowldge the problem - because to acknowledge it would mean that they'd have to do something about it.

So do I supply known abusers? Yes - with the acknowledgement of their problem and signposting to organisations that offer help.

It's the same harm minimisation basis on which I operate a needle exchange.

Do you advise on locally available treatment options for OTC addiction or just refuse the sale?

Jeff

Comment

Jeff

I personally refuse the sale, as I believe it would be considered unprofessional by the society, to supply someone with codeine linctus etc when you know they are abusing it. I don't think they would see that in the same way as operating a needle exchange system, which as you know I have previously done.

I have attempted to talk to these people and push them in the right direction, but find they are quite often middle aged middle class housewives that do not take kindly to this.

I won't pretend I have the answers to this problem, but I don't feel it's my job to cure these people. Yes I do personally try to give them advice, but I believe that if you continue to supply them, a defense of harm minimisation would not hold up with the society. I suspect they would just believe you were too afraid to say no, or were just selling for profit regardless of the patients problems.

Comment

Continuing addiction is not a cure

Sorry Jeff but on this one i think you may have the right intentions but the wrong solution. I think that if we were before the Stat Comm they would view your actions rather reprehensibly and nothing more than a drug dealer. They would not even consider your good intentions as mitigating factors because as in the past you must have seen the articles in the PJ where pharmacists have continued to supply large amounts of OTC opiods etc (and the latest one with laxatives) with dire consequences for the professinal supplying. You will be doing your users a disservice by allowing them to continue with their adiction without seeking appropriate and CORRECT treatment for their affliction. I am with Admin on this. I can tell from your sincerity that you mean well but it will fall on deaf ears with the Stat Comm.

Comment

Originally posted by Amba
                            Sorry Jeff but on this one i think you may have the right intentions but the wrong solution. I think that if we were before the Stat Comm they would view your actions rather reprehensibly and nothing more than a drug dealer. They would not even consider your good intentions as mitigating factors because as in the past you must have seen the articles in the PJ where pharmacists have continued to supply large amounts of OTC opiods etc (and the latest one with laxatives) with dire consequences for the professinal supplying. You will be doing your users a disservice by allowing them to continue with their adiction without seeking appropriate and CORRECT treatment for their affliction. I am with Admin on this. I can tell from your sincerity that you mean well but it will fall on deaf ears with the Stat Comm.
                            I totally agree Amba.

Comment

Re: OTC Imigran

HI,

company’s marketing director for OTCs for consumer health Tim Brooks said: “We didn’t really start the full launch to the consumer until the last few months of last year and if you ask me now how’s it going I would say it’s too early to say. However we are having a commercial impact and we are seeing a growth..

Thank you...

[Irrelevant link deleted by moderator]
                              Last edited by DavidS; 1, December 2009, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X