The Independent's Pharmacy section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Independent's Pharmacy section

Having finished rolling around on the floor with mirth after reading The Independent's Pharmacy section, I just have one question to ask. Where are all these fulfilled, excited, stimulated pharmacists? Come on, there must be some out there, tell us how happy you are!

I played a game called 'spot the lie' while reading the section. Here's some I found:
    - ''There has never been a more exciting time to consider a career in pharmacy. The profession is experiencing a period of unprecedented progress and development.'' - Hemant Patel, president of RPSGB.
    - ''Could things possibly get any better?'' - Alliance Boots. (Yes, a lot thanks.)
    - ''We also offer a cure for unfulfilled pharmacists.'' - Tesco. (Hmm....the Tesco employees I know don't say that.)

If only the future was so bright.

Originally posted by N.T

I played a game called 'spot the lie' while reading the section. Here's some I found:
    - ''There has never been a more exciting time to consider a career in pharmacy. The profession is experiencing a period of unprecedented progress and development.'' - Hemant Patel, president of RPSGB.
    Must be different when you're president to being at the coalface. It's a bit like the American President when he say "My fellow Americans" and everyone knows he hasn't got a clue what normal people face

- ''Could things possibly get any better?'' - Alliance Boots. (Yes, a lot thanks.)
    Don't know what you're getting at with this one! They've just formed one of the largest (if not the largest) multiple group in the country can't see why they'd be at all biased!

- ''We also offer a cure for unfulfilled pharmacists.'' - Tesco.
    B*ll*cks!

If only the future was so bright.
    I think everythings wonderful! You're just an old cynic!
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Independents Pharmacy Supplement

Hi Everyone

Yeah I read it today and nearly wet myself!

My husbands neice (does that make her my neice too?) said she was thinking of studying pharmacy to her mother, who told me. She's only 16, but has just done really well in her exams, and I would think she will do well in her AS levels too.

What do you tell (or send a message) to a kid at that age about this job we do? She could well read the Independent's Pharmacy Section and believe all the tosh that it contains.

I wonder where they find the people to contribute to it. Ok there are a few people happy with their job (thinking of you Zo here) but the vast majority aren't.

These people often say what they love about their job is the things I personally hate - dealing/meeting with the public to name one. I admit every now and then I really do help someone who is really grateful, but that in no way compensates me for the masses of nasty/rude/aggressive etc etc idiots I meet all the time.

I am so sick of putting on a false smile, that I think the sun has faded my teeth, so I'm paying £360 to get them bleached!

I'd love to find one of these "nice" pharmacies to work in, but never have. I travel all over Yorkshire, from really rough estates, to "posh" middle class villages. The vast majority of people just try to treat me like dirt. In the poor areas they want to punch you, the posh ones want to get you sacked - all for a 10 minute wait usually. I'd have to toss a coin to decide where I'd prefer to work. Most places are just prescription treadmills, and every day is the same.

I also get sick to death of reading the kind of thing that is justified by us "lessening the workload of GP's". Why should we do that I ask myself. No GP has ever done anything for me, and most of them can't even manage to be polite.

And while I'm on a good moan, whatever happened to the manners of men? Men say, and try to do things to me all the time that the men in my family would never dream of. When did they (I don't mean you guys, just Joe Bloggs) decide it is ok to physically threaten a woman, or "wait for you after work" to have a fight? Or just start shouting a load of abuse at you because one drug's got a manufacturing problem at the moment. What ever happened to plain old manners?

I'm all for equal rights, but I'd never treat anyone like some people do me, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. In my opinion it all boils down to poor representation for us, and the fact that anything that is offered "free" is just not valued by people.

Ok, I feel better now, thanks.

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Pharmacy has got itself into a situation wher Pharmacists have no real power over their day to day activities(unless you are an owner manager or to a lesser extent a Locum). As the Multiples have grown the attitude that we payyou for your time , what you do in it is up to us has become much more prevalent - the only difference being wether it is offered with a smile or a threat. On the other front "customer service" has come to mean that even if you are right you will frequently be forced to back down particularly to bullying customers making a lot of noise - which only breeds the same type of behaviour
        How do we get back some personal power to eep up our levels of job satisfaction - very hard - Personally working on the counter with customers means I see more of the ill ones who appreciate my counselling, Doing MUrs because the vast majority of patient appreciate them even if the gps dont (tough)
        Occasionally I will indulge in petty revenge by slowing an rx on its way past me for any particularly objectionable customers - hearing the phrase it wont take long its only tablets more or less garauntees this!
        Stand up to abusive customers - ban them they can demand that you do their rxs but they cannot demand entry to your premises and let the pct know - they should back you.
        otherwise its being part of the small team in my shop that keeps me going back
        The future doesnt look that rosy. With the growth of postal dispensing - look around its started! Items will drop, More dispensing techs for repeat dispensing and practice based commissioning handing the keys of the safe to the gps
        We need to reskill in a big way and we will be squeezed by the nurses who will be preferred by gps because they are under their control.
        Having injected that load of doom and gloom what are your thoughts
        BB

Comment

Originally posted by brokenbulk
          ... we will be squeezed by the nurses who will be preferred by gps because they are under their control.
          Or because GPs view nurses as 'skilled' and we as 'unskilled tablet dispensers' because nurses have a better representative body who really fight for the rights.

Comment

Working...
          X