New Pharmacist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pharmacist

Hi every1! I am a newly qualified pharmacist. I completed my pre-reg year in a hospital pharmacy. However, I now want to work in the community. I was thinking of starting to locum (while i am looking for a permanent job). However, I havent had much experience in the community. Do u think its risky starting to locum at this stage?
    Thanks

Hi,

congrats on registering - was it just me or was the exam pretty straightforward?

I would advise that before locuming you gain some experience in community, by working with someone for a week or so at a reduced rate (or for free if need be). Community pharmacy is very different to hospital pharmacy; no substituting, dealing with MDS, responding to patient's symptoms, supplying EHC, doing MURs, dealing with methadone and subutex and so on. Also you are often isolated professionally as most of the time you'll be the only pharmacist in the pharmacy, so you need to know who you can call.

There's no reason you can't locum, just get some experience first.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve G
      Hi,

congrats on registering - was it just me or was the exam pretty straightforward?

I would advise that before locuming you gain some experience in community, by working with someone for a week or so at a reduced rate (or for free if need be). Community pharmacy is very different to hospital pharmacy; no substituting, dealing with MDS, responding to patient's symptoms, supplying EHC, doing MURs, dealing with methadone and subutex and so on. Also you are often isolated professionally as most of the time you'll be the only pharmacist in the pharmacy, so you need to know who you can call.

There's no reason you can't locum, just get some experience first.
      I agree with Steve has said, but I'd say you probably need longer. Why not take a job as a relief manager first, or work for a company before you go self employed?
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

new pharmacist

Thanks for ur advice

Comment

Originally posted by ash19feen
          Thanks for ur advice
          No problem. Welcome to the forum - it's always nice to have a good mix of people, and that obviously includes you young uns!

I hope you can keep us old uns up to date on what we should know!

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
          Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Locuming in community

Hi ash19feen,
            I am locuming in community. You can come and shadow me if you find it helpful. Let me know if you are interested and i will send you the details.
            Hope this helps
            Jamisha

Comment

Originally posted by jamishapatel
              Hi ash19feen,
              I am locuming in community. You can come and shadow me if you find it helpful. Let me know if you are interested and i will send you the details.
              Hope this helps
              Jamisha
              Hello and welcome

I must say, that's a very nice offer Jamisha. It's great to see someone prepared to help another person who's starting out.

Comment

Thanks!

Hey. Thanks. I would love to.Thats very kind of you indeed.It would really help me. I'll private message u so that we can exchange our details. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X