Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy/medical writing

Hello all!

I've noticed a few people on this board have mentioned that they used to/are currently writing for the PJ and associated publications. I'm seeking a little advice as this is something I'd like to get into so if anyone could answer these questions I'd be grateful:
    1. Does one just send articles to the publications in the hope that they will accept or does one ask the publications which topics they currently require articles on?
    2. Where would be the best place to start - Tomorrow's Pharmacist/PJ/Hosp Pharmacist? Anywhere else?
    3. What rates do the above publications pay?
    4. Any other info?

This is great forum, glad I've found it at last.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Originally posted by N.T
    Hello all!

I've noticed a few people on this board have mentioned that they used to/are currently writing for the PJ and associated publications. I'm seeking a little advice as this is something I'd like to get into so if anyone could answer these questions I'd be grateful:
    1. Does one just send articles to the publications in the hope that they will accept or does one ask the publications which topics they currently require articles on?
    2. Where would be the best place to start - Tomorrow's Pharmacist/PJ/Hosp Pharmacist? Anywhere else?
    3. What rates do the above publications pay?
    4. Any other info?

This is great forum, glad I've found it at last.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
    Hi and welcome

If you are thinking of writing to the PJ then Linnears your man! He's had more letters in it then the rest of us put together!
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

I Thank You! I Thank You!

The letters page of the PJ is easy just rant on adn you can usually get published.

The Broad Spectrum pieces have to be around 1100 words (I think!) and they like to have a little bio but the info can be about anything you feel strongly about. You do get paid for it but it's not a great amount. I never even checked how much I was paid I did it for the love of PCT baiting!

Not managed to get letters or articles into any of the other journals but I'm sure that the best way to go would be to contact the journals and ask them for the critersa they are looking for.

Good luck

P.S. I do have some contact details if you're interested just PM me.
      Last edited by Linnear; 29, August 2006, 06:49 PM.
      Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
      pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
      eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Hiya N.T and welcome.

The Dispensing Doctors Association used to pay me about £100 per article.

Writing to a deadline is a PITA.

Jeff

Comment

£100 per article! Bloody hell!

Still got their contact info?
          Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
          pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
          eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff

Writing to a deadline is a PITA.

Jeff
            PITA?! Is that writer's lingo?

Comment

Originally posted by N.T
              PITA?! Is that writer's lingo?
              Pain In The Ass

Jeff

Comment

Hi N.T,
                If you're a student or prereg then you can submit articles to the BPSA which might help get you started.

You could try reading the "A career in pharmacy journalism" article on pharmj.com/students

Rich.
                _____

Comment

If you want to write for The Pharmaceutical Journal or Hospital Pharmacist, have a look at the Advice for contributors page on the website.

http://www.pjonline.com/about/contrib.html
                  Gowan
                  [email][email protected][/email]
                  [url]www.pjonline.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Gowan
                    If you want to write for The Pharmaceutical Journal or Hospital Pharmacist, have a look at the Advice for contributors page on the website.

http://www.pjonline.com/about/contrib.html
                    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X