wanting to become a pharmacist in the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to become a pharmacist in the future

i am currently training as a pharmacy tecnician and would love to become a pharmacist someday, i have research the internet and i believe i would be able to attend a one year programe (science foundation year) and then i would beable to then go on to study pharmacy, is this true?

Originally posted by love
    i am currently training as a pharmacy tecnician and would love to become a pharmacist someday, i have research the internet and i believe i would be able to attend a one year programe (science foundation year) and then i would beable to then go on to study pharmacy, is this true?
    It all depends what qualifications you have now. The usual entry requirements are 3 A levels or equivalent.

Are you sure you want to do this job ?

Have you read the posts on here?

Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Wanting to become a pharmacist

You can do an access course at your local college and then apply to a chosen university. I have worked with a technician who did an access course and then obtained a place at Portsmouth but withdrew after the second year as she found the chemistry too difficult!!
      This can be a major stumbling block for many students!!

When you do qualify either go into hospital or industry as retail right now is too stressfull and you can become 'trapped' in a branch!! and become really fed up like me and decide to leave the profession at the end of the year!
      I have only 140 days left before i start my plumbing and electrician training with a view to qualifying in both in about 2 years time.
      Anything is better than retail pharmacy these days!! with all the stress and rude customers.

Comment

Originally posted by drh785
        You can do an access course at your local college and then apply to a chosen university. I have worked with a technician who did an access course and then obtained a place at Portsmouth but withdrew after the second year as she found the chemistry too difficult!!
        This can be a major stumbling block for many students!!

When you do qualify either go into hospital or industry as retail right now is too stressfull and you can become 'trapped' in a branch!! and become really fed up like me and decide to leave the profession at the end of the year!
        I have only 140 days left before i start my plumbing and electrician training with a view to qualifying in both in about 2 years time.
        Anything is better than retail pharmacy these days!! with all the stress and rude customers.
        Hi

I once worked with a lad who had been a dispenser and went on to do the pharmacy course. He ended up getting a 1st so it can be done.

What will you do for money when you start your course? Are you going to do locums? Is it a full time course?
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

An ex-tech colleague of mine got into the pharmacy degree after doing 2 A-levels (1 will definately have to be in chemistry. The other biology/maths). Yeah, the main stumbling block that people have is either with the A-level chemistry or the Uni chemistry. Various Unis have differing degrees of difficulty of chemistry. Bath/Nottingham are pretty hardcore. Whereas Brighton (from what I've heard, don't want to offend anyone) is pretty much a doss. So if you definately just want to go into retail pharmacy rather than industry it'd be easier to do it through one of the less prestigious Unis - Brighton, De Montford, SOP etc.

Comment

Noooooooo! Don't do it! Turn back before it's too late. Oh dear its too late another lost soul.

Comment

Working...
            X