X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missed medication caused harm

helloitsme
    First Time Poster
    Last edited by helloitsme; 8, January 2022, 10:44 PM.

Sorry to hear. Very distressing when in such situations. If any consolation this is a real possibility for any Pharmacist any given day.

Disjointed care can be the root cause no matter how vigilant a healthcare Professional is on any given day. I suppose you have indemnity cover? When in a better frame of mind you can use the experience to draft both a macro and micro review of how to minimise such incidents and share with all. We can all learn from you!

Hope your patient has a quick recovery.
    Best wishes.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Trust you belong to PDA. Many cases of meds repeated when should have been stopped. Worst case when cytotoxics repeated.
      Perhaps case history should report meds stopped and why.
      johnep

Comment

Hello 'helloitsme'. You're not the first, and you won't be the last, to miss something as a result of crap records. I hope that if someone does decide to look into it you're not picked on as the 'fall guy'.
        Have you noted it, reported it as necessary? If you have, as PotionRx wisely says, you can use it as a 'Learning Exercise' and a warning to colleagues.
        As others have said, if you've got indemnity insurance...... and you really, really ought to have,......... tell them.

Best of luck. And DON'T WORRY.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlyn View Post
          Hello 'helloitsme'. You're not the first, and you won't be the last, to miss something as a result of crap records. I hope that if someone does decide to look into it you're not picked on as the 'fall guy'.
          Have you noted it, reported it as necessary? If you have, as PotionRx wisely says, you can use it as a 'Learning Exercise' and a warning to colleagues.
          As others have said, if you've got indemnity insurance...... and you really, really ought to have,......... tell them.

Best of luck. And DON'T WORRY.
          Imho you should take down your initial post on this topic in case some "concerned" busybody gets hold of it and uses it for litigation. You don't mention any damage to the patient being mentioned so perhaps this is just another of those storms in a teacup that occur in working life.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post

Imho you should take down your initial post on this topic in case some "concerned" busybody gets hold of it and uses it for litigation. You don't mention any damage to the patient being mentioned so perhaps this is just another of those storms in a teacup that occur in working life.
            I mean DVT and a stay in ICU is pretty damaging.

I do believe they haven't contravened GPhC standards as they have made all reasonable efforts to ascertain the patients medication history (2 point verification). I imagine this is covered in any SOP in place for the process as well.

Any potential litigation would be covered by the crown if the pharmacists works in an NHS trust which is what it sounds like.
            I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Working...
            X