Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pregnant lady sent to pharmacy with thrush. Advice please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant lady sent to pharmacy with thrush. Advice please?

Good afternoon all,

I would appreciate your advice on a scenario from last week.

A lady came in asking for something for thrush. She has not had the symptoms before and said she was pregnant. She added that her midwife told her to go to a pharmacy. What would you do?

I don’t think it’s licensed for OTC purchase for pregnant women?
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

It is on medical advice. I wonder if this pertains to a doctor or midwife acceptable

Comment

If it’s not licensed for OTC sale for pregnant women I think they’d need a FP10.
        Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
        Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
        Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

In the meantime, natural yoghurt has been used. pH is 4 and Lactobacillus similar to Doderleins..
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            I don’t think it’s licensed for OTC purchase for pregnant women?
            When are we going to let pharmacists make professional decisions?
            Women who need a product and could use it safely have to wait, often several days. A pharmacist or midwife who both know more about the use of these products in pregnancy are sidelined until a doctor signs a prescription. What happened to the concept of patient centred care.

Comment

Working...
            X