Shortage of Glycerol Suppositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortage of Glycerol Suppositories

Since I am classified as extremely vulnerable , I have my medicines delivered by Echo. it appears they have a policy of not sending a completed script out unless every item is in stock. I remember falling foul of the policy when I was in export and customers complaining of waiting weeks for their order. I contacted the company which has taken over Martindale but they have a policy of not giving supply information to their own staff. Supplies not due until July, but reasons for delay, there were none.
    As no one has any I suspect it could be Christmas before stocks are normal.
    So, I have decided to make my own. I have ample stocks of both Glycerin which I use for cooking as a humectant and also in my eye lotion. also Gelatine used for cooking.
    I will make my own moulds by drilling holes into a block of hard wood. All I need now is the formulation. I have made them before in my dispensing exam, but it was over 60 years ago.
    I will let you know how I get on.
    johnep.

Took me a long time to find the formulation: it is 14% gelatin, 70% glycerin, water to 100.
    My first batch was made by simply doubling the amount of gelatin used for standard jelly. The moulds were made according to net by wrapping foil around wooden spoon handle.
    Correct moulds are expensive £88 for metal block mould. Plastic moulds available but still £21/100.
    However, I found the foil moulds a bit delicate and will now proceed with the wood block.
    This first batch was too soft so will remelt and add more gelatin for the next batch.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
      Took me a long time to find the formulation: it is 14% gelatin, 70% glycerin, water to 100.
      My first batch was made by simply doubling the amount of gelatin used for standard jelly. The moulds were made according to net by wrapping foil around wooden spoon handle.
      Correct moulds are expensive £88 for metal block mould. Plastic moulds available but still £21/100.
      However, I found the foil moulds a bit delicate and will now proceed with the wood block.
      This first batch was too soft so will remelt and add more gelatin for the next batch.
      johnep
      If you are not going up to 180 degrees you could design a mould and have it 3D printed in PLA.
      https://www.freecadweb.org/

Learning that should keep you busy John!

There are some antique moulds on ebay : but they are in grains which is before my pharmacy career started.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Thanks. my son has two 3d printers which he uses to make about 100 brackets a week for WiFi whip aerials. He was unable to spare time to print a visor mask holder for me so no go in that direction.
        In meantime I will proceed with the wood block. I will seal the surfaces with pet gell. I need 28 grm of gelatin, think I have enough and will try a remelt of the base.
        I have discovered that the shortage due to that of Gelatin. I remember going round Youngs when a student, but they are no more and the source is now China. Yet another example of the folly of transferring production and jobs abroad.
        johnep
        Last edited by johnep; 23, June 2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

The 2g size suppositories are still in stock if that helps.

Comment

Thanks for that info. I have now drilled a block of hard wood to make the moulds. Today I will coat them with pet gel and leave for a day or so.
            If all works OK will post pics.
            johnep

Comment

Instead of classifying you as extremely vulnerable they should classify you as extremely resourceful. Well done!

Comment

Thanks, I started extemp dispensing as an apprentice. I have always enjoyed solving problems. When in industry, we dried extracts in copper trays. The extracts used to stick and had to be scraped out---probably with added copper. When it became time for renewal we would have to have stainless trays made specially at a very high cost.
                I used to insist that I be allowed to walk around the factory and talk to the workers. One day, the chap in charge of the vacuum ovens showed me a lolly mould in which he had dried an extract as an experiment. He could not get his supervisor to look into it. I had seen polythene trays in bakers and took one in for him to try. He reported that it worked like a dream and the extract just fell out when finished. These bakery trays only cost 50p each at the time and I got a full scale trial organised. The fire officer was afraid they would melt but his fears were groundless. In use the trays gradually became soiled and extract started to stick I was pleased to have such trays and used them in my greenhouse. Production increased at the factory.and the men were happy as got bigger bonuses.
                So, if someone says no it is not possible I try to find a solution. Does not always work but often does.
                johnep

Comment

Working...
                X