Supply shortage: Efudix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply shortage: Efudix

Help, colleagues! Is there a supply problem with Efudix ( 5-Flourouracil) Cream? My wife has been prescribed it for a small Bowens patch on her leg, and our local pharmacy says it's currently unobtainable.I don't think there's another identical product, although there are a couple of 0.5% preparations.
    Back in my day it wasn't always easy to get hold of, but it was never, IIRC, long-term unobtainable.

I wonder if this is a result of the discontinuation of Picato?

Similar indications but Picato has been completely removed from the market. A lot of times the remaining products struggle to keep up with demand resulting in supply issues.
    I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

When I was a rep in the 60s, I used 5FU as the "key" to get into difficult to see oncologists and other specialities. One minute to hand over a booklet etc and then straight into a pitch on lines " Your patients must be anxious, we have Valium to help them. I used to call this "switch selling" pioneered by John Bloom.
      Don't think we had Efudix in those days. Would have helped to get into see Dermatologists.
      For Gastro consultants I used the story of "La Petomane". sales of Valium sky rocketed.Previously, phenobarb had been used with suicide risk.
      johnep
      Last edited by johnep; 21, May 2020, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrec View Post
        I wonder if this is a result of the discontinuation of Picato?

Similar indications but Picato has been completely removed from the market. A lot of times the remaining products struggle to keep up with demand resulting in supply issues.
        Good thought. Doesn't help as alternative, of course, but it's not an immediate problem, thankfully.

Comment

I'm guessing you've probably managed to get it now, but should be available to order from some of the larger suppliers, have you tried another pharmacy? (I can see alliance has it available)

Comment

Thank you for the thought, marianpharmacist. Yes we are sorted now; I went to the makers and found that supplies were now available, told my (the only) local pharmacy and treatment has now started.

Comment

Working...
            X