Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locum rates

Hello,

I have started to work as a locum pharmacist. Currently I am doing 2-3 days per week at about £18/h, but would like to pick up more work as summer is coming, and hopefully some higher rates. Could anyone tell me what the standard rates are for e.g wells, Lloyds, morrisons, asda, boots, Tesco and Sainsburys. I'm not to sure what to ask for when booking shifts.

In the 2000s £25/hr was quite usual and this is what I got. Then all the new schools of pharmacy graduates arrived and the "happy time" was over. Rates collapsed and those living in large towns such as Londo and Manchester, Birmingham, found it difficult to get any work at all. I gave up locums in 2009 after 52 years.
    johnep

Comment

I retired in January 2017. My experience working as a locum in Somerset/West of England was that I was never out of work and I only wished that I could bi-locate in order to double my income!

Don't know what the situation is now but I did get an enquiry yesterday, as I have been restored to the register under the emergency regulations. I had to turn it down, mainly because I am so arthritic that standing for 8 hours or having to keep getting up and down would ne very painful. Also I am 75 at the end of this month and have been out of touch with the profession.

So you might do a little recconaissence in the W of E to get more up to date info. There are very few private people left so maybe trying all the multiples at regional level would be a good approach.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        In the 2000s £25/hr was quite usual and this is what I got. Then all the new schools of pharmacy graduates arrived and the "happy time" was over. Rates collapsed and those living in large towns such as Londo and Manchester, Birmingham, found it difficult to get any work at all. I gave up locums in 2009 after 52 years.
        johnep
        Similar here up until about 2010.
        Appreciate the need for the younger pharmacist to 'take it or leave it'.
        However, all the risk and responsibility of the profession is valued at £18 per hour?
        I've often wondered about automation too.
        When the machines get more intelligent they might upload themselves on to less taxing computer systems.

47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
        2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
        How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

That is really low - a lot are getting 25 and above - are you underselling yourself? and possibly devaluing the profession?
          PM if you require advice

Comment

Working...
          X