Minor ailments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor ailments

I worked in a pharmacy for a year where minor ailments prescriptions were not checked by the pharmacist but by other members of staff... Staff whom had not even done nvq 2 course and been there for years? And also checking assistant not technian would check scripts that hadn't even been clinically checked by pharmacist... Would like people's thoughts on these?

Glad I don't use that pharmacy!! This is a very dangerous practice for non qualified staff to undertake these jobs. They are obviously not caring/aware of the potential issues that could occur to patients safety. This pharmacy surely has to be reported to the official channels before something serious happens?

Comment

I thought it was totally unethical and I never felt right working in that environment. Also if Cd prescriptions were not written right they turned a blind eye to it.. The methadone pump was measuring 2mls over they wouldn't replace it so was pouring 2mls under........ On a spot check a patient was getting 10mls extra... Not exactly sure how to go about reporting it?

Comment

Originally posted by Essexclare View Post
        I worked in a pharmacy for a year where minor ailments prescriptions were not checked by the pharmacist but by other members of staff... Staff whom had not even done nvq 2 course and been there for years? And also checking assistant not technian would check scripts that hadn't even been clinically checked by pharmacist... Would like people's thoughts on these?
        The main pharmacy I worked in the pharmacists often didn't check minor ailments. The pharmacists tended to put the staff under a lot of pressure to do them quickly. So it was expected it'd be 3-4 mins (three different systems for us - paperwork, dispensing and slow minor ailments website). On days we had control and pharmacist wanted to check we'd say 10 mins. A lot of aggressive patients for minor ailments. We always had a lot of the del boys saying will you shut up mate and just give it me, the pharmacy up the road hand it over. Other pharmacists said this did happen and then they filled in the paperwork at the end of the week.

In terms of non-clinical checks, I thought you pharmacists hated techs and didn't particularly think much of them. The problem is level of experience or grade doesn't particularly correlate with aptitude in pharmacy staff. It's going to be a difficult one whatever.

Can you not report it directly on-line?

Comment

Working...
        X