Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overcoming setback & confidence blow

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Overcoming setback & confidence blow

    I went through a terrible time with my prereg placement where I was bullied, belittled, shouted at infront of patients and colleagues by a narcissist tutor. This tutor lied about my progress, drew up false documents hiding the originals to make it seem I was not progressing. My confidence & self esteem took a major blow, I never knew shi##y people such as this existed and would be trusted to look after a trainee & vulnerable patients. Ofcourse I was not signed off, tbh I saw it coming I felt this was the plan all along.
    I’ve learned from the experience to never let anyone take advantage of me or treat in such a disgusting way. I’ve learned to set boundaries but I’m struggling to be my old self again.

    Good news is that I have secured another placement and start after the Christmas break. I will be working there for six months and hopefully sitting (& passing) the exam next summer. With the start date looming I’m starting to feel extremely anxious almost sickly anxious about this new place and the same happening again.

    Just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice they can offer. Anything I could do?

  • #2
    I think all you can do is try to put the whole awful experience behind you and start again afresh. Unfortunately the preregistration year is just seen by most as free labour and they just use people. It was the same when I did mine years ago. Try to build up a good working relationship with your tutor and the other staff and it will quickly pass by. Good luck x
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RoseC96 View Post
      I went through a terrible time with my prereg placement where I was bullied, belittled, shouted at infront of patients and colleagues by a narcissist tutor. This tutor lied about my progress, drew up false documents hiding the originals to make it seem I was not progressing. My confidence & self esteem took a major blow, I never knew shi##y people such as this existed and would be trusted to look after a trainee & vulnerable patients. Ofcourse I was not signed off, tbh I saw it coming I felt this was the plan all along.
      I’ve learned from the experience to never let anyone take advantage of me or treat in such a disgusting way. I’ve learned to set boundaries but I’m struggling to be my old self again.

      Good news is that I have secured another placement and start after the Christmas break. I will be working there for six months and hopefully sitting (& passing) the exam next summer. With the start date looming I’m starting to feel extremely anxious almost sickly anxious about this new place and the same happening again.

      Just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice they can offer. Anything I could do?
      I would use it as a learning tool for future reference.

      One thing to consider is if you left on good terms with your university lecturers reach out to them and see if you can talk to them. Sometimes just being able to talk to someone about your problems will help you blow the steam off before it drives you to exhaustion.

      Comment


      • #4
        I actually almost banked and switched my training due to many difficulties but I decided to grit my teeth and got through the worst year of my life. You are between a rock and a hard place, but have not lost any ground yet.

        Things in the new place HAVE to be better, so long as your tutor sees that you are working hard and are a safe pharmacist usually the sign off will happen. Honestly, my advice, get out and de-stress maybe even have the xmas week completely off and do some mindfullness things see friends before the new job starts. But when you go to this new place maybe be honest and open about your training so far and start doing at least 2 evidences per week to get on top of things after christmas, talking with pharmacist support, old lecturers really helps.

        The fact that you have passed the MPharm undergraduate degree is usually enough to give the momentum for passing pre-reg, focus on getting that sign off and then it is all about YOU and self-belief for the exam, the tutors role is pretty much done by that point and is irrelevant so long as you are signed off.

        Comment


        • admin
          admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Your comment “The worst year of my life” is exactly how I’d describe my preregistration year, which was more years ago then I care to admit. The fact that is still happening is appalling.

      • #5
        We are getting too many of these bullying tutors. Unfortunately, personal attitudes and ability to get on with people are not considered when selecting candidates for tutors. Very often the multiples just tell them that they have to do it and any resentment is taken out on the unfortunate they are supposed to be tutoring.
        When a locum and pharmacists were in short supply, I came across pharmacies where the pharmacist had reduced staff to tears.
        Perhaps all pre regs should keep a diary and record all these incidents.
        johnep

        Comment


        • #6
          I'm neither a pharmacist or a pre-reg, but I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that you went through this.
          Just try and think of it this way, it cannot get any worse that last time! Give yourself some time to chill over xmas, then hold that head up high and tell yourself that you've got this!
          x

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by johnep View Post
            We are getting too many of these bullying tutors. Unfortunately, personal attitudes and ability to get on with people are not considered when selecting candidates for tutors. Very often the multiples just tell them that they have to do it and any resentment is taken out on the unfortunate they are supposed to be tutoring.
            When a locum and pharmacists were in short supply, I came across pharmacies where the pharmacist had reduced staff to tears.
            Perhaps all pre regs should keep a diary and record all these incidents.
            johnep
            Or we are losing our compassion and turning the other cheek when we see injustice I've tried many times to speak against this type of behaviour but its very difficult to change things as a single person.
            Last edited by jzd4rma; 23rd, December 2019, 10:41 AM.

            Comment


            • #8
              Personally it’s very sad to see the situation and general response from lot of pharmacist is to just get on with it nothing much you can do as you at mercy of your tutor. Also I don’t think it’s worth the battle and being diplomatic is good.

              what you done is best of the scenario as you got out before it was too late you banked the weeks and that was the best you can do in the worst of situation

              my advice to future pre regs is go in prepared as sometimes patient is low with tutors, try to be as open to learning as much as you can and muck in, be on time, be a good team player. If after you doing everything there are issues then try to resolve soon as you can before it’s too late to get out and find another placement.


              Also document the meeting if you can - see if you can find a format for your tutor to give feedback. Also document your evidence via competency you showed and get a staff member/ pharmacist/tutor to sign it.

              if after the 13 week period you are having issues or your tutor is unreasonable just got to find out if it’s worthwhile staying or trying to find another place to complete pre reg

              the main aspect is researching the place prior to accepting - you see many pre reg go in blind and sometimes situation is that but there are times is in your control - you can go informal visit, ask how many pre refs have passed, try to get names of previous pre refs and see if you can contact them/ you may know them or know someone who knows them, social media group where you anonymously ask how the pharmacy is and the staff member, search the group for feedback on store, try to find as much about your tutor as possible, visit at busy time, get your friends to visit u t at busy period see what happens, see what vibes you get as well - also ask general question on staff turnover such as how long have each staff be in position. Also search how busy is the place you have data to show items they do etc see how many pharmacist they have, how many care home/ mds tray they do/ methadone patient and ask yourself how much time realistically can the tutor give

              Comment


              • #9
                I just hope that none of the students for whom I was 'responsible' over the years, either for a year or for a month (hospital rotations) feel like that. I suspect one might, but I was very concerned about her commitment. Sometimes it's just personalities.

                Comment


                • #10
                  When I was apprenticed, I learnt nothing from the pharmacist who stayed in his office all the time except when the dispenser was at lunch The dispenser had been an army dispenser during the war and was "Apothecary Hall " trained.
                  He had a fund of stories about his time in Northern Ireland during the war and subsequently in a hospital in Germany during the occupation. I learnt a lot about pharmacy (and sex) from Mr Lampard.
                  johnep

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by HI2013 View Post
                    Personally it’s very sad to see the situation and general response from lot of pharmacist is to just get on with it nothing much you can do as you at mercy of your tutor. Also I don’t think it’s worth the battle and being diplomatic is good.

                    what you done is best of the scenario as you got out before it was too late you banked the weeks and that was the best you can do in the worst of situation

                    my advice to future pre regs is go in prepared as sometimes patient is low with tutors, try to be as open to learning as much as you can and muck in, be on time, be a good team player. If after you doing everything there are issues then try to resolve soon as you can before it’s too late to get out and find another placement.


                    Also document the meeting if you can - see if you can find a format for your tutor to give feedback. Also document your evidence via competency you showed and get a staff member/ pharmacist/tutor to sign it.

                    if after the 13 week period you are having issues or your tutor is unreasonable just got to find out if it’s worthwhile staying or trying to find another place to complete pre reg

                    the main aspect is researching the place prior to accepting - you see many pre reg go in blind and sometimes situation is that but there are times is in your control - you can go informal visit, ask how many pre refs have passed, try to get names of previous pre refs and see if you can contact them/ you may know them or know someone who knows them, social media group where you anonymously ask how the pharmacy is and the staff member, search the group for feedback on store, try to find as much about your tutor as possible, visit at busy time, get your friends to visit u t at busy period see what happens, see what vibes you get as well - also ask general question on staff turnover such as how long have each staff be in position. Also search how busy is the place you have data to show items they do etc see how many pharmacist they have, how many care home/ mds tray they do/ methadone patient and ask yourself how much time realistically can the tutor give
                    I agree. Important advice to future preregs. The injustice I did to myself was staying for as long as I did - the entire year. Had it not had been pre-reg but a standard job I would have left months earlier, I thought if I gritted my teeth and preserved I could get through it although I could foresee it was not going to end well with this particular tutor. Also among my circle of friends especially the ones in community, no one was enjoying their pre-reg. It started off with treating me differently to everyone else and justified it with having high expectations for me. What's a brand new pre-reg to do? It became apparent in the spring that the line had been crossed and I was dealing with an adult bully who would lie about my progress, outrightly tell me I would not be able to handle situation x and y out of the blue. The reason I stayed was that the other aspects of the training were quite good.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X