Diamorphine form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamorphine form

Is a prescription for 'diamorphine 5 mg powder for solution for injection' sufficient? Or must it state 'ampoule'?

Requirements should be in front of BNF.
    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by Evelyn87 View Post
      Is a prescription for 'diamorphine 5 mg powder for solution for injection' sufficient? Or must it state 'ampoule'?
      I usually see ampoules written in CD registers and scripts, so im guessing ampoules is acceptable (although if you want to include power, go for it I guess)

Comment

Powder would say that the dosage form is powder.....like a Beechams Powder.
        johnep

Comment

Thank you both. It stated 'powder for injection' only so wondered if the word 'ampoule' was necessary.

Comment

Badly phrased question in the first place. Obviously, has to be a powder for injection before they put it in an ampoule.
            johnep

Comment

Not easy to make these decisions right there and then on the spot with a potentially seriously ill patient waiting...
              It could say vial, ampoule or nothing depending on what is prescribed.
              I don't think a legitimate prescription would be questioned to that level in a court of law - an injectable is an injectible and a 5mg vial or ampoule will only have 5mg after all.
              Best thing to do is check what was issued before and follow suit, or if new try and check with whoever is going to administer it if possible.
              Also wise move to check if they have some water for injections.
              Might be a misunderstanding that these will be supplied.
              You could add this to the script at one time but now it is not permitted.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

"diamorphine 5 mg powder for solution for injection" is more than enough information. You have a product, strength and form. Asking for it to state amp is just getting nit-picky
                I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

Working...
                X