The law of unintended consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The law of unintended consequences

The current problems illustrate what happens. DOH urged prescribing of generics and demonised big pharma who are being blamed for present crisis.
    As an encouragement DOH left pricing alone for generics but price controlled Brands.
    As sales of brands declined, pharma ran down manufacturing and this lead to demise of chemical manufacturing in UK. Production became more and more concentrated as generic companies sought lowest price raw materials. With globalisation this usually meant production moved to lowest cosi countries like India and China. Eventually, low prices meant only one manufacturer for an item. Once one company had a monopoly, prices rocketed. No one was going to open a factory and plant for chemical production had gone. Perfect example is phenytoin. Epanutin was the brand but its prescribing was limited to those pts who preferred capsules. Even then it was written as phenytoin capsules. For a time price controlled Epanutin was actually cheaper than generic phenytoin.
    So in attempt to save money, destruction of the brand instead raised price for the generic a thousand fold or more..
    The conclusion could be that the determination of DOH to lower costs has led to destruction of what was a world leading industry and brought about sky high prices and the present availability crisis.
    The donkey and Murphy comes to mind.
    johnep

Add to this "just in time" stock control and the alleged manipulation of the supply chain to raise prices.

Another unintended consequence.(UC)
    Action against research testing on animals that is regulated in the UK has taken some of the testing offshore.
    For some testing other testing models have been found.
    The countries where the remaining animal testing has been moved to may not have as strict regulation on experimental animals in the UK.

Working out UCs is something pharmacists tend to be good at doing.
    Wonder if there are any employment opportunities?
    Is that a UC in itself?
    47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
    2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
    How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Yes, when blood pressure meds were being investigated, the animal serving as a model was the cat. Apparently cats naturally have a natural high pressure. When being shown around a pharmacology research lab, there was a cat on the table all hooked up. The coach driver had joined the group and started protesting vigorously. That was the end to pharmacology visits and in due course animal testing left for overseas and depts and staff became redundant.
      I did not like pithing frogs and dropped pharmacology in the third year. I took engineering and chemistry . The subjects helped a great deal when I had to look around the factory while a marketing manager and visiting customers overseas. They looked astonished when I knew the workings of a votator.( Used in processed cheese and margarine manufacture).
      johnep.

Comment

Working...
      X