Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working in London as a pharmacist..

Hello all
    Im a pre-reg with boots. i just had a career discussion with the boots people...the problem is my boyfriend lives in london we are getting married this summer so i will be moving there...
    Boots have ever so kindly told me I wont be able to get a job in london as there are so many pharmacists there already...even as a relief!!
    We were planning on living close to central as my bf works in the city but now im not sure what to do?? Is it that hard to get a job in london??
    Is there anyone working as a pharmacist with boots in london...or even with another company...lloyds or independent?? or even a locum? whats locuming like in london??
    Any advice from anyone working in london as a pharmacist or anything related would be highly appreciated as i dont know anyone with experience of london...thanks!!

Re: Working in London as a pharmacist..

As far as this forum is concerned, London is controlled by Lazy Nite. She will doubtless have some great advice and ideas for you. Lazy...the stage is yours...
    Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

I'm on-call at the moment...i will reply in a while. Thanks Fleeg
      Lazy Lady...
      [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Used to be a problem in finding pharmacists to work in London. I had no trouble getting locum work. However, with the settlement of immigrants in Nth London and the tendency for their children to enter the professions, the shortage of pharmacists became a surplus.

Same situation in Birmingham area.

If you are willing to work unsocial hours then will still find work but not maybe every day. try an advert in the PJ, stating area willing to work in.
        johnep

Comment

Hey pre-reg=misery

How are you finding pre-reg with Boots??

London has many opportunities, but it is also a very competitive place! You really need to stand out among many other applicants to get the job your after. Have a look at the ‘Interviews’ section on this forum.

Boots have ever so kindly told me I wont be able to get a job in london as there are so many pharmacists there already...even as a relief!!

Companies will always say things like that…but opportunities always arise. Someone somewhere will get promoted or will move on elsewhere….Junior posts will always come up. You may find they may say something different once you’re qualified! Anyways, why are they advertising all the time in PJ and on Boots jobs Home - Job search. I know many pre-regs who have stayed on in London as relief pharmacists.

After qualifying, I had my mind fixed on a particular job in London. Many close friends told me I was being stubborn, because I lived/worked outside London for my pre-reg year and they thought it would be difficult to get back into the city due to the competition….Guess what, I was successful!

As John has said….you could always register as a locum (i.e. locum link cover Boots in London). They often have plenty of jobs available in London. There are so many other locum agencies you could try. At least this way you will have the flexibility to search for that dream job in London. What about the NHS?

No one can stop you from applying…I’d say go for it!

All the best
          Lazy Lady...
          [IMG]http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=VgnFNpwK3hGyUXFqqJvo3g&size=l[/IMG]

Comment

Thank you all for your replies....
            Lazy night could you tell me about ur career...where u started ur pre-reg and what u did after? Im just intrigued!
            Boots pre-reg not so bad just worried about the aftermath...the problem is i dont know of anyone in or around london in the pharmacy sector so dont know where to get advice from...many thanks!

Comment

I don't know London at all, but what about the rail links to the south-east? Is that an option?

Comment

Even here in Ely, we are only just over the hour by train from Kings X.

Many sites give time tables and links, thetrainline is one.
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by pre-reg=misery View Post
                  Thank you all for your replies....
                  Lazy night could you tell me about ur career...where u started ur pre-reg and what u did after? Im just intrigued!
                  Boots pre-reg not so bad just worried about the aftermath...the problem is i dont know of anyone in or around london in the pharmacy sector so dont know where to get advice from...many thanks!
                  Hey pre-reg=misery

I did lots of summer placements with Boots, independents and some voluntary hospital work while at Uni. For my pre-reg year….I chose hospital pharmacy, which was outside London. I loved it! A lot of in-depth clinical training…..

Once I qualified…I worked as a locum in community for a year. Then I went back into the NHS and currently dealing with stressful, but sometimes relaxing on-calls!!

How about yourself?

Why don’t you come along to one of the London CPPE workshops; you’ll get to know plenty of pharmacy ppl.

As John and Lamzee have mentioned….maybe commuting to and from London might not be such a bad idea, depending on how long it takes of course. It takes me at least an hour to get to work, and I live in London!
                  Lazy Lady...

Comment

You have banished any doubts I had about applying! Im going to go for London and see what they say...the only problem about moving outside london is i dont know where to go!...i have been told to go for surrey and its all too much!!! more stressful than the upcomming wedding and I have an exam to sit before all this
                    Where can i get the date and venues for the CPPE workshops??

Comment

No worry in Surrey, but about the most expensive county.

You will have to become an Essex girl.
                      johnep

Comment

My Essex born granddaughter (at Uni in NW) always says she's a girl from Essex, not an Essex girl.
                        One of her aunts (from Kent) says that you can take the girl out of Chatham, but then asks if you can take Chatham out of the girl?

More seriously, as others have said, there are good transport links OUT of the City ..... flat in Docklands? .... to pharmaceutically rich surrounding areas such as Barking, Dagenham, Redbridge, South Essex. And, even though you're only just out of pre-reg, look at all options ..... hospital, private hospital, industrial. Plenty of opportunities within an hours travel of east London.

For CPPE stuff, google CPPE and go from there.

Best of luck.
                        Last edited by the old merlin; 25, January 2009, 06:56 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

My grandparents retired to Benfleet and we had many happy holidays there.

I lived in Ilford and took A levels at Barking Abbey. So I am an Essex boy.

johnep

Comment

So after reading this thread and discussing it with anyone and everyone I have narrowed it down to Surrey and Essex...I submit my application this week...knowing Boots they will probably offer me Milton keynes or something

Comment

Nothing wrong with Milton Keynes....as long as you like roundabouts! ...Oh..and their pubs close at 10pm unless you live there and their curries aren't hot enough. Spoken from experience.

Fleeg.
                              Don't Stop Believing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

Comment

Working...
                              X