Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenges in setting up or taking over existing pharmacy by not being a pharmacist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenges in setting up or taking over existing pharmacy by not being a pharmacist

Hi Guys,

I am working as a pharmacy technician but not a pharmacist, I am planning to open a new pharmacy of my own with the help of some investors I have but the biggest challenge is finding superintendent pharmacist. What my understanding it will be challenging to setup a pharmacy or take over existing pharmacy without having pharmacist on board. Has anyone have experience of setting up or taking over existing pharmacy by not being a pharmacist themselves? I need guidance how can this be achievable as it will determine my future plans.

How challenging it is find a superintendent pharmacist who will be willing to work for you as that is the first thing to put in place when making an offer for pharmacy. Any useful direction and information will be really appreciable.

Looking forward to understand challenges, learning and is achievable or not.

Thanks,
    Suresa

Have you looked at the Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment for your area? If there is no gap in provision the NHS area team is highly unlikely to allow you open a pharmacy unless there's been some major development in the area.

You would probably need to look at some form of partnership model to get a pharmacist on board and taking responsibility for all the superintendent duties. It wouldn't be impossible to recruit someone to do the role but if you're asking them to set it all up with you, you may have to dig fairly deep to get the right person.
    I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

On the positive side for your venture increasing numbers of pharmacists have qualified in recent decades. You should be able to find someone with, say, ten or twelve years experience to act as SP. You will need someone with an excellent understanding of pharmacy and employment law.

Comment

Legally you can do it, but as posted above, it is virtually impossible to get a new premises license.

Assuming you can get a license or buy a going concern, you have a real struggle to keep the shop going.

​​​​​​who interviews your pharmacist, do you know what to ask, not meant in any disparaging way, recruiting good reliable staff is very difficult that's why Boots have a HR dept!

Let's say after 3 months he/she asks for a rise, can you say no? So you say no, 2 weeks later, you open up - no pharmacist, what do you do? Legally you cannot open, you must have a superintendent pharmacist, and that is defined as a senior full time role, ie a staff member or director, you cannot just call up a locum.

Simply put, your pharmacist has you by the collar, in the time it would take you to replace him/her your business is toast.

Pete

Comment

The chains don't realise that the business is the pharmacist.
          If you get someone who is a vocational pharmacist with some business sense then you need to get them into the business as partner.
          This embeds them so they are not 'just an employee'.
          As mentioned the superintendent role is a senior position and they carry the weight of the law on their shoulders 24/7.
          Next comes the staff - experienced people who know what they are doing and don't need micro-managing?
          You might find some good people who will jump ship from the big boys and are just waiting for 'that golden opportunity'.
          That doesn't mean it is going to be costly - but you get what/who you pay for.

Or you can try and wing it with a lot of shortcuts and hold it together with 'sticky tape and string' with people who aren't really up to the job.
          And hope for the best.

PS: Offering every service going for free will keep you very busy with an empty till.
          47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
          2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
          How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Working...
          X