Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodgy boss? help me someone! ! ! ! !

hi, i aint been on here for a while!
    i work in a pharmacy with two bosses who dont always agree on each others opinion. to cut a long story short, the members of staff become caught in the middle and dont know whos really right and wrong. so it ends up we become confused. the scary thing is that if i went to another pharmacy and did what i was teached, i would look like a right pratt! the main boss i work with is known to "take short cuts" and save money.
    so if i ask questions on here and they seem dumb, its cos ive been told different things and my pharmacy brain is confused!!!!
    first qustion is... another member of staff gave out a c/d drug (think it was morphine tablets, 10mg instead of 100mg) and the pharmacist didnt noticed the mistake untill next day, so he asked me to go round the patients house and swap over the drugs.
    i had doubts cos this looked dodgy. was i suposed 2 tell the c/d inspector?
    someone help please cos i really want to do stuff by the book and find out whats right and wrong. doing this is gonna be hard with the boss!

Re: dodgy boss? help me someone! ! ! ! !

Originally posted by BTCC View Post
    i work in a pharmacy with two bosses who dont always agree on each others opinion. to cut a long story short, the members of staff become caught in the middle and dont know whos really right and wrong. so it ends up we become confused. the scary thing is that if i went to another pharmacy and did what i was teached, i would look like a right pratt! the main boss i work with is known to "take short cuts" and save money.
    so if i ask questions on here and they seem dumb, its cos ive been told different things and my pharmacy brain is confused!!!!
    first qustion is... another member of staff gave out a c/d drug (think it was morphine tablets, 10mg instead of 100mg) and the pharmacist didnt noticed the mistake untill next day, so he asked me to go round the patients house and swap over the drugs.
    someone help please cos i really want to do stuff by the book and find out what's right and wrong. doing this is gonna be hard with the boss!
    Every pharmacist (with the possible exception of a couple of clones) has a different take on right and wrong. It is something I was aware of when I practised and the assistance used to tell me that other pharmacists allowed something that I did not, or vice versa. I think it is especially hard for the staff in places with a high turn over or lots of locums. Since coming to the UK, I have experienced this from the other side and I agree its hard to deal with, it is something I am struggling with now.

With regard to fixing the CD mistake, as long as the incident is properly recorded and the patient understands a mistake has been made I don't see the problem with fixing the mistake, if it were me I would want you to be round at my house as soon as possible preferably before I realised that my pain was not controlled and went to the doctor for a dose increase. I don't think it fair to give you the job of apologising and fixing some one else's mistake , but if you were the patient, you would want it fixed as a matter of urgency. Sorting out the legalities and paperwork may be a bit more effort but that's the pharmacists problem.
    Last edited by paul2008; 17, January 2009, 11:34 AM. Reason: forgot to spell check
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    (T. Pratchett)

Comment

Statcom case on similar incident last week in PJ but doses reversed. As I take responsibility for all errors, I would go myself to pts house to apologise and change over medication. Happened to me once where 2 x 5 Durogesic patches handed out as on PMR when script, said one. Pt did not query as had always had two. In fact he was a bit shirty at not getting full amount that should have been prescribed by Dr on script. Placated when said we would arrnge another supply on his behalf.

Rapid personal contact always best.
      johnep

Comment

The reason the pharmacist personally didn't go was probably that they would have to close the pharmacy to do so and it was more important to corrrect the error asap. Also it would raise questions with the store manager and they probably want to keep it covered up.

Comment

Yes, I had to go after closure of store, could cause problems if dark.
          johnep

Comment

I agree with Pinky, imagine what pain the patient is going throw if his pain is relived on MST 100 mg and was dispensed 10mg?
            Well at least the RP provide a solution, the pharmacist can leave to sort out the problem, apologize and make sure the patient pain is controlled.

If the pharmacist did not follow up this patient, i believe the patient will complain for both the dispensing error, and the pain he had to go throw. in the meanwhile, sending the staff to change the items, ringing the patient to explain the situation, sounds reasonable.

Btw in such a situation, would you send a written apology and promising to review the SOP to minimize the risk of the same errors happening again? Just wondering
            [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
            [/COLOR]

Comment

A written apology admitting liability could be expensive in court. By all means apologise for any inconvenience suffered but do not accept liability.

PDA has a draft letter, I believe. Always thank the pt for bringing matter to your attention and that this will help you look at procedures to ensure does noy happen again.
              johnep

Comment

Hi Guys

This is my first posting!

At times of error, the priority is patient care. The error should be corrected asap. I gues the pharmacist had two options: to close the shop and go himself or send a representative. if he closed the shop other patients may not get their medicines and be inconvenienced. This would lead to them complaining too!. The other option would be to send a suitably competent representative, so that the error could be corrected asap, in most cases the patient would be happy with the mistake being corrected promptly.

Comment

Originally posted by BTCC View Post
                  someone help please cos i really want to do stuff by the book and find out whats right and wrong. doing this is gonna be hard with the boss!
                  He is correct in sending someone to retrieve it for correction, this is the professional expectation and also it is not your place to report it to cd inspector as this is not theft it is an error.

A cd error gets reported by the person involved to their line manager who compeltes and incident report and assesses harm based on patient consumption of said tablet or not!

I can not see what is your concern here. They corrected the error and possibly reported it inhouse.

Comment

Has something happened Primrose? This post was 11 years old! Wonder why you raised it after so long.
                    johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                      Has something happened Primrose? This post was 11 years old! Wonder why you raised it after so long.
                      johnep
                      That's so funny, I just found it and just replied! Hilarious lol

Comment

Working...
                      X