How to open a Pharmacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open a Pharmacy

Hi everyone, does anyone know how i can i open a new pharmacy, i have the shop , it just i need information about the hows/laws etc. thanx

Re: How to open a Pharmacy

How do you open a pharmacy?

I think you've jumped the gun "getting" a shop without applying for a pharmacy contract which is becoming increasingly a long, expensive and arduous process unless you're applying under the exemption criteria.

First step is to apply to your PCT for a new contract application form. They should be able to point you in the right direction, but I warn you that anyone you are opening up to oppose will fight you tooth and nail to prove you aren't "necessary or desirable".

Comment

Are you a pharmacist? If not then will be next to impossible. You can open for 100 hours a week, but for a start up would be horrendously expensive in staff costs.
      johnep

Comment

depends on where you open up john! One local to me opened up with 2 pharmacist brothers - each doing 50 hours - not too near any surgeries or anything. For the first six months they didn't bother hiring any staff and ran it solo. Now word has got around and they got a delivery van, took some people on and they do reasonably well.
        “It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.”

Terry Pratchett

Comment

If you are young, no responsibilities and prepared to use the pharmacy as accomodation (discreetly). Then could be possible. In the old days, apprentices sometimes slept under the counter.
          johnep

Comment

The regulations concerning control of entry and how to open a pharmacy are on the PSNC website.

The Pharmacy Contract Pharmacy Contract & Services PSNC

Control of Entry Regulations PSNC

Pharmacy Regulation Regulations PSNC

Those links should prove useful. If you are a pharmacist feel free to "pm" me for advice.

If you aren't a pharmacist f**k Off
            http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
              In the old days, apprentices sometimes slept under the counter.
              johnep
              One of my grandfathers came to this country in the 20s and worked in a pharmacy, and had to sleep under the counter, and get the fire going first thing in the morning.

He didn't like it, and stole the boss'es horse and cart, and became a pedlar, rag and bone, then "antiques," that sort of thing, sleeping in the cart, of course, for a few years. He got caught.

He'd probably have done the 100hrs by himself
              ....just my opinion

Comment

Enough for a novel there, commission Linnear.
                johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
                  Enough for a novel there, commission Linnear.
                  johnep
                  Funny you should say that, but he actually got someone to write it up in his 70's, as part of their anthropological dissertation.

And I think it would have been at the turn of the century, actually, rather than the 20's, working it out.
                  ....just my opinion

Comment

Hi

Hope your ready for some hard hard work!!

As mentioned before, if you dont have a contract then you need to apply for one. If there are nearby pharmacies then you wont have much luck getting a standard 40hour contract. You would then need to apply for a 100 hour contract. Most experienced contractor pharmacists estimate you would need to be paying about 150K in pharmacist costs alone to cover 100hrs. support staff costs, bills, rent etc are in addition to this. If you plan to do 100hrs yourself then good luck! if you are planning to employ pharmacists then you need to be doing about 6000 items to break even - not easy given the average 40 hour pharmacy dispenses 6000 items (and they will mae profit on that). To make a decent profit on a 100 hour you need to really be doing 10,000 items+ so I hope you have researched your area and know your local surgeries!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ap1 View Post
                      Hi

Hope your ready for some hard hard work!!
                      while that is certainly true, I'm not sure about the rest of it: the fact is, when you haven't bought the pharmacy you are betterr off to the tune of perhaps £150K. So, effectively, you are paying out about £15K less a year in interest on the purchase price, and you need to factor that in.

The other thing is that 100 hour exemption has been a bit of a disaster, really, and my guess would be that the idea will be dropped. Whether the current 100 hour pharmacies would then be allowed to drop their hours I'm not sure, but it will make interesting reading.
                      ....just my opinion

Comment

Supermarkets have pharmacies to increase gross t/o by 2%. Perhaps you could approach one of the smaller cos and offer to provide a 100hr as a service.
                        johnep

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS View Post
                          while that is certainly true, I'm not sure about the rest of it: the fact is, when you haven't bought the pharmacy you are betterr off to the tune of perhaps £150K. So, effectively, you are paying out about £15K less a year in interest on the purchase price, and you need to factor that in.

The other thing is that 100 hour exemption has been a bit of a disaster, really, and my guess would be that the idea will be dropped. Whether the current 100 hour pharmacies would then be allowed to drop their hours I'm not sure, but it will make interesting reading.
                          That is true, however this person for a 100hrs would require considerable cashflow to keep it going untill he achieves a decent level of scripts to pay for it. I know a few pharmacists who are doing 100hrs near busy surgeries who are doing well. I also know of one 100hr pharmacy who had to close down as it was leap frogged by another 100hr!!

Personally a 100hr contract is the last thing I would want to do!! I like to have a life!! dont think the exemption will last.

Comment

In the early stages of my career I worked in a 3 on 2 off rota from 0845 to 2145 with another pharmacist. It is exhausting and you become your work. Not healthy.
                            47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
                            2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
                            How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Originally posted by ap1 View Post
                              I know a few pharmacists who are doing 100hrs near busy surgeries who are doing well. I also know of one 100hr pharmacy who had to close down as it was leap frogged by another 100hr!!
                              What is leapfrogging?

Comment

Working...
                              X