Pharmacy supplies for non-professionals/trade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pharmacy supplies for non-professionals/trade

Noobie here, apologize if posting to the wrong forum. I've attempted numerous keyword searches of the posts to no avail, so creating a new topic. I'm US military posted here in the UK, just medically retired. I worked with a biochemist, naturopath, and master herbalist before my military days. My contribution was researching "nutraceutical" ingredients for various supplements and coming up with test products. In the US, I had little problem getting pharmaceutical supplies (non-Rx), but not having any luck here. Just trying to find a PLO base for testing some topical preparations (only on myself, nothing prohibited!), but can't find a supplier that will sell to me as no non-pro/biz. I could buy 1Kg tubs of Lipo bases from local compounding pharmacists in the States, but I don't want to attempt anything illegal here. Came across this forum after weeks of effort, thought I'd try here. Thanks

As long as the product is not a POM (Prescription Only Medicine) There should be no problem, BUT, Compounding chemists no longer exist in the UK following some tragedies. Mainly one where Concentrated Peppermint water given to a baby instead of Peppermint Water. There are some "specials" labs which provide specials but tend to charge very high prices as Government insists ALL medicines given to a pt must be analysed Me, I simply buy the ingredients and make up my own. Ointments are made on a plastic cutting board with a spatula or carving knife as a substitute.
    For creams I use Xanthan Gum as an emulsifier. All ingredients can be obtained from a store or on line.. (See Formulation and compounding thread). Standard lipo bases available are Aqueous cream, Cetomacrogol, A and Cetomacrogol B, oily Cream. If you have a formula then make your own or PM me if need help.
    johnep

Comment

• chrisval
      chrisval commented
      Editing a comment
      Clicked on Post instead of Comment, check thread, thanks!

Online is best but I was shocked to find Salicylic acid powder 99.9% pure sold for a fiver on Etsy.com?

Aqueous cream is the general base but contains Sodium Lauryl Sulphate SLS some are sensitive to this. Sold in 500g in most pharmacies for £3

Comment

• chrisval
      chrisval commented
      Editing a comment
      Clicked on Post instead of Comment, check thread, thanks!

Thanks for the quick responses, the Formulation/compounding threads were very insightful. For background, I'd "hi-jacked" a number of commercially available OTC products as bases just to test with, but they don't provide the results I'm looking for. My active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) is hydrophobic, so medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil, ethanol & DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide) are suitable for trying oil phase concentrations, added to water phase to create a desirable emulsion/liposome. The end goal is for a transdermal product with fewest ingredients possible. Had used sonication in the past with good results, but now I need simple. A two-step PLO (pluronic lecithin organogel) seems ideal, the newer PLO substitutes are prohibitively expensive. But even for a basic PLO package, every UK supplier (even veterinary) I've talked to insists on full business credentials and credit applications and won't even discuss a one-off purchase or even provide me the name of possible re-sellers/distributors. I can get a 300ml kit from overseas for as little as $60 USD, but concerned about passing customs & fees. I want to go with something tried & tested (PLO kit) and just focus on my API concentrations, cheers
    Last edited by chrisval; 4th, July 2018, 12:44 PM. Reason: (acronyms spelled out)

Comment

Sorry, not familiar with acronyms. API?, MCT?, DMSO (Dimethyl silphoxide?), Credentials required these days of terrorists. Suppliers very wary..
      johnep

Comment

• chrisval
        chrisval commented
        Editing a comment
        Apologies, more common to the projects I've worked with: active pharmaceutical ingredient (API), medium chain triglycerides (MCT) --no taste/odor, more stable than a short/long chain fatty acid-- for solubilizing a hydrophobic API. When I tell suppliers what I'm doing, they act like there's some liability, but I'm not making pharmaceuticals. I don't think a simple PLO should concern any supplier (could make my own with lecithin--sticky), any more than they're worried about selling a jar of Aquaphor.

Thanks, this sort of thing is what pharmaceutics was about. My formulations are based on what is easily available. When in Export, my customers were looking for simple products that could replace an imported item. Funnily enough, my proposed PhD project was to do with lecithin like molecules. I could not progress as no finance.
      johnep

Comment

Working...
      X