Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience as a pre-reg pharmacist in a GP practise

Hi All,

As part of my pre-reg I was very fortunate to be one of the few to have done placement in the GP practise. I have taken the time to write my experience which I posted below. I am hoping to also write an article for the RPS regarding this.

Pre-registration in GP surgery – A summary
    • Initially, I began by only issuing monthly repeat prescriptions. This was a role which was also performed by the prescription clerk. I spent approximately one hour every working day issuing repeats for patients. At this moment in time, I did not deal with any prescription queries that may have arose and left them for the pharmacist to deal with. Alongside my activities in aiding the prescription clerk, I also spent time sitting in with the practise pharmacists and the nurse during their clinician hours and also attended home visits with them. The home visits usually involved them taking blood sample from patients and/or performing domiciliary medication reviews. On some occasions, I also sat in and shadowed the doctors.
    • After a few weeks at the surgery, once I was deemed competent, I also started to deal with prescription queries from reception, community pharmacies, GPs/Junior doctors and directly from patients. I also started to do medication reviews and dealing with patient medication queries that had been put on the call list by the reception, GPS and other staff members. This involved calling the patient and speaking to them over the phone. As a pre-reg pharmacist, I also discussed blood results with patients and took action if needed. For example, if patient’s vitamin D was low, I would give life style advice and if need be, I would issue prescriptions for vitamin D for them, of course I first discussed the matter with my supervising pharmacist. I would also book patients in if necessary. For example, I would book patients in for a blood test, diabetic review, asthma reviews, blood pressure check, medication reviews and for other reasons. At this moment in time, I was not doing my own clinics so I could not book anyone for my own clinics.
    • In preparation for starting my own clinics, when sitting in with the pharmacists and nurses they would get me involved. For example, in this particular surgery, for you to be deemed competent at phlebotomy, you had to perform 10 successful blood taking whilst supervised. Also, in order to be allowed to give vaccinations, I had to attend a 2 day immunisation training course, delivered by Immunisation Uk.
    • Once I started doing my own clinics I performed a whole host of activities. I would have my own clinic slots every Monday and Wednesdays and staff members would book patients in to see me. In my clinics, I would perform activities such as:
    1. Taking blood sample from patients.
    2. Doing medication reviews
    3. Doing asthma reviews, for adults and children.
    4. Doing diabetic reviews and foot checks
    5. Taking blood pressure and installing 24 hour ABPM if needed.
    6. New patient health checks
    7. Performing Electrocardiogram ( Interpretation done by Medics)
    8. Giving vaccinations to patients, including babies on some occasions.
    As part of my clinics, I was also prescribing medication for patients. For example, I initiated statins, blood pressure medication, anti diabetic medication (Not including insulins) and other medications. I would also change a patient’s medication if deemed necessary. It is important to note however that prior to doing any activity mentioned above, as a pre-reg I would always discuss the matter first with my supervisors.
    This was a general summary of what I did. If you want to know more or feel you need more detail, you’re more that welcome to ask.

Brilliant post! Thanks for taking the time to give people so much detail.
    Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
    Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
    Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

This is a fantastic piece of work and will support others going forwards.

Thanks for taking the time to feed back to the community. If you're clever you may be able to sign off a competency with this post as well
      I remember when a blog was an individual boot.

Comment

• kelpca
        kelpca commented
        Editing a comment
        Well done, thousands of pharmacists could do this,too.

Thank you all

I would encourage as many pharmacist as possible to pursue this. We can start off by getting experience in GP practises but the future in my opinion is IP pharmacists having their own clinics in a non GP practise setting. Why rely on GP's on hiring us and dictating our pay when we can run our own clinics? Pharmacist after getting the relevant training are more than capable of doing most of what the GP's are doing. How do I know? Because my pre-reg tutor works in two GP practises and he does the acute clinics for the GP's and he is doing more than fine. He is by no means struggling. Matter of fact, the senior GP where I worked admitted pharmacist could in indeed take over alot of what they're doing! I am being serious! We just need to continue improving our skills. The advanced practitioner course is something definitely worth considering. I am not saying there will be no limitation, there will be, for example pharmacist can't refer directly to a consultant etc but that does not mean we can't move forward. Hopefully soon, gone will be the days when a pharmacist has to refer a patient to a GP for so many of those simple problems that we can deal with!
      Last edited by Mpharm.; 2nd, July 2018, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• StraightOuttaDispensary
        Editing a comment
        Couldn't agree more... I work in a GP practice and I see this everyday. There's so much we could do as pharmacists that no-one knows about.
        Only problem is... the NHS see doctors as top dog and I don't think that will change any time soon.

OP what are you doing to do when your on the register?

Comment

Originally posted by Ems123 View Post
        OP what are you doing to do when your on the register?
        I have been offered to go work in the GP surgery, so I'll most probably work there part time and also work as a locum in community pharmacy. As you may be aware, the GPhC is thinking of changing the requirements for becoming an IP so I could actually become an IP quickly. In the longer term, I am showing an interest in becoming a consultant pharmacist in primary care (see below):

"First ever primary care consultant pharmacist appointed in the UK"

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...irstPass=false

Prior to all this I had other plans but I think despite the difficulties pharmacy is going through, there is some interesting developments.

Comment

Working...
        X