Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

    Hi I am new to this so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct section. Anyway just wondering if anyone can help me out with hols during the pre-reg year at Boots. Do they dictate your holidays to you or do you have the freedom to choose whenever? Family are thinking of going on hol for a month in Dec 2010(the year I'll be doing my pre-reg). If I booked to go for 2 of the 4 weeks, does anyone know if Boots would let me off for them if I told them at the start?

    Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks
    Laura

  • #2
    Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

    Have you already been accepted for pre-reg with Boots for the year commencing 2010? If so, suggest you make them aware of your planned holiday immediately. Holidays are seldom "dictated", but you cannot expect Boots to honour pre-arrangements unless you have already made your holiday plans perfectly clear at your interview, and obtained written agreement.

    You will probably be expected to fit your holiday around more senior staff, or perhaps those with longer service. My advice would be....Do not book until you have made sure you will be allowed your required time off.

    This does not only apply to Boots, but also to other multiples and most independants.

    Fleeg.
    Don't Stop Believing

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

      Originally posted by WeeLauz View Post
      Hi I am new to this so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct section. Anyway just wondering if anyone can help me out with hols during the pre-reg year at Boots. Do they dictate your holidays to you or do you have the freedom to choose whenever? Family are thinking of going on hol for a month in Dec 2010(the year I'll be doing my pre-reg). If I booked to go for 2 of the 4 weeks, does anyone know if Boots would let me off for them if I told them at the start?

      Any help would be appreciated,
      Thanks
      Laura
      Echoing Fleegles advice.
      Get in their quick and ask them.
      Christmas = very busy for pharmacy (2 or three months scripts).
      Usually no leave allowed in two weeks prior to christmas.
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

      If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

        Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post
        Usually no leave allowed in two weeks prior to christmas.
        I'd go further - most places I've worked are "no time off in December" (apart maybe form odd shopping days), so don't hold your breath!
        Employed again... paid holidays! Yipee

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

          Originally posted by Defblade View Post
          I'd go further - most places I've worked are "no time off in December" (apart maybe form odd shopping days), so don't hold your breath!
          Are pre-regs counted as a regular member of staff? Certainly for the first few weeks they will take up time rather than save it.

          However, they will be expected to follow the rules, to set an example.

          If you are wanted, then they will give you your pre-arranged holiday whenever it is, IMHO, but if they are doubtful, it will be taken as just one more piece of evidence as to your unsuitability!

          Such is life.
          ....just my opinion

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

            One of the reasons I got out of retail was difficulty with holidays. When I was a Saturday boy, I was forbidden to join a sailing holiday on the Saturday and lost a day. All that fell apart when foreign holidays became the norm.
            johnep

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

              holiday is something that you have to discuss with the pharmacist manager (or store manager) once you start your pre-reg. planning to book your holiday 2 years in advance does not make sense, specially when you are not working there. plus how can you be so sure you want to do your pre-reg with Boots in 2010 when they are still sorting out the places for july 2009!

              am i missing something or did she mention that she will be starting her pre-reg in 2010? i an not sure how did you secure a place for 2010 when they did not start the application process for july 2010?
              [COLOR=Olive]xxxx They tried to break my back, but i survived. whatever doesn't kill you, will only makes you stronger xxxx
              [/COLOR]

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

                The old adage, don't cross your bridges until you come to them springs to mind.

                Most companies would not be keen on you taking a holiday in the busiest time of the year. What is most important, the holiday or getting a place?
                johnep

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

                  Originally posted by Raoul View Post
                  i an not sure how did you secure a place for 2010 when they did not start the application process for july 2010?
                  Was kind of wondering about that myself, Raoul. Could you give us a wee bit more information WeeLauz?
                  Don't Stop Believing

                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

                    I'm fairly sure that there are no holidays allowed in the "barometer" period, which used to be the 10 weeks prior to Xmas. This may have been relaxed slightly, but I'd guess a very hot place would have to freeze over before I'd let you take holiday in December!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

                      Hi,
                      Im a pre-reg at Boots and at the moment they have a policy of not allowing time off in december especially the 2 weeks before christmas...so if i were you I would get this sorted asap.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

                        Holidays are an entitlement in law. However the law does state that the time is at the employers discretion and in fact it can be dictated by an employer.

                        A pre-reg would be a member of staff entitled to sick pay and everything else so would be expected to take holidays at a time convenient to the business. Pre-booking and informing me at interview would be a barrier to my offering a position.
                        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmbyj0XFUhA

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

                          Yep, regret that for a holiday to be offered at all, the business must generate sufficient profit. There has to be give and take. When my father worked for London Transport and people did not go abroad for holidays, staff took it in turn to have 2 weeks in the winter. No jetting off to the sun in those days.
                          johnep

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Holidays in the Pre-Reg year with Boots

                            Originally posted by Tony Schofield View Post
                            Holidays are an entitlement in law. However the law does state that the time is at the employers discretion and in fact it can be dictated by an employer.

                            A pre-reg would be a member of staff entitled to sick pay and everything else so would be expected to take holidays at a time convenient to the business. Pre-booking and informing me at interview would be a barrier to my offering a position.
                            Absolutely Tony..the quirk here is that the issue appears to be regarding time off as a pre-registration student in December 2010!..seems a wee bit premature to me. Further, no firm offer of a pre-registration placement appears to have been given.
                            Don't Stop Believing

                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X