Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heard an interesting thing about self selection...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard an interesting thing about self selection...

I've been working alongside a pre reg recently and word around the block is that Boots has introduced self selection for P meds in at least some of their stores (despite it being illegal at the moment).

According to what I've heard, the P meds are being kept in displays (not sure how open or accessible) with a sign next to them warning patients not to take them if they have A, B, or C etc. I haven't stepped foot in a Boots for a long time, but I'm tempted to have a look for myself and see what shennanigans are going on inside.

Anyone heard about this?

THey used to get round it by putting empty boxes on display. Stopped after several were charged at the exit tills and complained.
    johnep

Comment

Why not? They all contain PIL's with appropriate warnings and the customer can always ask the pharmacist's advice if they want to.

Also, we have a growingly literate and well informed public. So we're told.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutley View Post
        Why not? They all contain PIL's with appropriate warnings and the customer can always ask the pharmacist's advice if they want to.

Also, we have a growingly literate and well informed public. So we're told.
        I need to step into a Boots when I get the chance, so I can confirm how open and accessible the meds are. The staff might not be asking the questions thoroughly. It wouldn't the the first time our favourite high street pharmacy is acting above the law...

Comment

Just understand, They are the law. What the shoe wants, it gets.
          johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
            Just understand, They are the law. What the shoe wants, it gets.
            johnep
            Deepest respect to all but it would be a good thing if "what the needy patient wants, they get". I have written before on this site about this but one of my earliest experiences of being a customer rather than a pharmacist was when I was refused supply of 32 Solpadeine soluble and 96 Ibuprofen 400mg, having pointed out that it was for my wife who had had a hip replacement about three days before. Later on the same day my daughter was refused sale of a clinical thermometer because "the pharmacist was not present". What happened about the piece of crap in most multiple's locum agreement that the pharmacist could take a twenty minute break but it must be interrupted in case of customer need? I think we can all take a guess.

Incidentally I got the medication elsewhere and the thermometer at a non-pharmacy outlet.

I think some pharmacists are over vigilant, to put it politely. Others just block sales due to a power drive.

Me, I just wish I had found a better way to spend my working life.

Comment

• mcitr
              mcitr commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed with the sentiments of variation. It was a shock to me that my mother paid 2+ prescription charges per month for years and years at the local independent until some new member of staff told her about medical exemption certificates. When I started pharmacy i was shocked it is one of the first things you are told. Similarly I got refused diphenhydramine months and months apart. Same with breaks. Varies so much what locums can and cannot do.

Can the locum not just do what they want? They are a locum after all but as long as they act in the interest of the company then who cares. I give the needy patient what they need. I try to give them the correct product but if they demand something else I’ll hand that over instead. Keep the customer happy ! Fools.

Comment

Might be an April Fool type of joke do you think?

Otherwise; any patient in need does not leave without medication or information or both!
              We are all about safe use of the right medication..... or has it changed recently?
              Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
              Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
              If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I heard non officially that a major supermarket is to remove pharmacy counters so that a customer select their own P med without the military protection of a CA. The item can only get scanned at a pharmacy till thus the onus is on the CA to ensure they chose wisely.

1. Open plan no barrier wall of P meds free for all
                2.a tiny pod located nearby with a till and a CA
                3.Customer takes P med to CA
                4. CA decides to WHAM and sell .

Comment

Originally posted by Primrose View Post
                  I heard non officially that a major supermarket is to remove pharmacy counters so that a customer select their own P med without the military protection of a CA. The item can only get scanned at a pharmacy till thus the onus is on the CA to ensure they chose wisely.

1. Open plan no barrier wall of P meds free for all
                  2.a tiny pod located nearby with a till and a CA
                  3.Customer takes P med to CA
                  4. CA decides to WHAM and sell .
                  It makes sense from how a supermarket would see it lol.

However it doesn't make sense from a profit perspective. A lot of GSL meds are way, way more profitable than P meds. You would surely get more cross sales too?

Comment

Think about it a CA would notmally sell a cheap £2 co.cod for any pain lol but a customer who is allowed free access to the whole wall will look at solpadeine max tabs and nurofem plus both carry a much higher profit margin.

Comment

No wonder with these kind of attitudes a very high proportion of pharmacists still wish every single day they had persevered and studied medicine in their teens and early twenties instead of being condemned to worry about a few pennies extra profit for their International pharmacy chain. They would have effortlessly earned much more than a chain oppressed pharmacist, had a much more enjoyable career and would enjoy a huge NHS pension paid for by pharmacists who may well have spent a lifetime dispensing thousands of prescriptions from hundreds of doctors for the NHS to never receive a penny pension from the NHS themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Mackenzie View Post
                        No wonder with these kind of attitudes a very high proportion of pharmacists still wish every single day they had persevered and studied medicine in their teens and early twenties instead of being condemned to worry about a few pennies extra profit for their International pharmacy chain. They would have effortlessly earned much more than a chain oppressed pharmacist, had a much more enjoyable career and would enjoy a huge NHS pension paid for by pharmacists who may well have spent a lifetime dispensing thousands of prescriptions from hundreds of doctors for the NHS to never receive a penny pension from the NHS themselves.
                        +++1

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Mackenzie View Post
                          Can't say I disagree but hardly a motivational speech when I need one most!
                          Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                          Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                          If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

To be fair, I don’t think that all doctors are happy with their lot. At all!!!

Apparently there’s a big concern about patient complaints.

Comment

Working...
                            X