new pharmacy contract monitoring-your opinion pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new pharmacy contract monitoring-your opinion pls

I work for the PCT 3 times a week and I have been involved in monitoring the contract;whilst montioring the 1st component of the new contract-dispensing,a pharmacy technician who also happens to be the pharmacy owner,dispensed all the scripts without referring to the pharmacist ,no cliniical/pharmaceutical assessments were done by a pharmacist-the technician carried out the whole dispensing process(he is NVQ3 qualified,but is not on techs register nor is he a checking tech)at least 30 scripts were dispensed;on questionning he claimed he had been dispensing since he was 7 and the pharmacist trusts him,the pharmacist wasn't too bothered either...what are your thots- is this the way forward?
    Kemzo the pharmacist forumly known as kemzero

Originally posted by kemzero
    I work for the PCT 3 times a week and I have been involved in monitoring the contract;whilst montioring the 1st component of the new contract-dispensing,a pharmacy technician who also happens to be the pharmacy owner,dispensed all the scripts without referring to the pharmacist ,no cliniical/pharmaceutical assessments were done by a pharmacist-the technician carried out the whole dispensing process(he is NVQ3 qualified,but is not on techs register nor is he a checking tech)at least 30 scripts were dispensed;on questionning he claimed he had been dispensing since he was 7 and the pharmacist trusts him,the pharmacist wasn't too bothered either...what are your thots- is this the way forward?
    You were so close to getting one of my patented "I hate PCT" replies but then I counted to ten and realised that you were making a good point.

I think the problem is that there are bad pharmacists out there that do need to be brought down a peg or two. (God knows there are enough people out there that probably think that about me! )

One thing to watch though is this not going to be pretty close to some scenarios if this remote dispensing thing goes through?
    Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

In pregnancy: 1 fag is not safe, 1 x-ray is not safe and 1 drink is not safe.

For handy pharmacy links try
    pharmacistance.co.uk

If you like my posts or letters in the journal try my books!
    eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Did you say since he was 7 ? This isn't legal is it ? Are you taking this further? If this is the way forward we'd better give up now, because they'll just sack the lot of us!
      Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
      Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.
      Thank you for contributing to this site.

Comment

Well gotta ask when an error occurs who is going to carry the can in this store?
        Remote supervision under controlled circumstances is a challenging enough thought (that I really disagree with and do not want to become a part of), but this sounds like open slather for disciplinary.
        Gotta ask this tech if he has been dispensing since he was 7, why did he never go to Pharmacy school and get qualified?. If he wants to check prescriptions why has he not got himself qualified as a checking tech??
        Sounds like it is just that he is there for the easy path, and bugger the rules. Which from a PCT perspective sould ring alarm bells as to what else might also happen in this store. Even if we don't like or agree with some of the legislation/red tape surrounding our lives as pharmacists, we have to adhere to it, and follow correct procedures to get changes made where appropriate.
        Good luck in the fall out from this audit!!
        By the way how have you found the majority of the pharmacies you have audited so far??

Comment

I'm not sure of the legality - but I approve of the process.
          As a pharmacist I want the ability to delegate as I see fit.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff

Are you saying that you trust the clinical ability of techs .. ..pharmacists should relinquish their clinical /pharmaceutical responsibilities?
            Do you think that would be in the publics' interest?

Comment

Jeff

Are you saying that you trust the clinical ability of techs .. ..pharmacists should relinquish their clinical /pharmaceutical responsibilities?
              Do you think that would be in the publics' interest?
              No, I'm saying that I believe that MY dispensing assistant can dispense a repeat prescription as accurately and safely as I can.
              I'm saying that I trust MY dispensing assistant to NOT dispense when unsure.
              I'm saying that I want to be able to legally delegate to MY dispensing assistant the ability to work within their competency.
              I'm saying nothing of relinquishing responsibilty - I would remain responsible for what I choose to delegate.

If this frees enough of my time to focus on more clinical aspects of patient care then yes it is very much the publics' interest.

Jeff

Comment

I worked with an ACT last week. The shop was really busy, and it was a great help to be able to clinically check a few scripts, and let her check them. She is a very capable, well qualified dispenser, and I was happy to trust her.

On the clinical checking side of things, I have a couple of concerns. When you get a set of prescriptions, with 10 or 15 items on them, who can really say that this combination of drugs is safe? As we all know, if you contact a manufacturer, they will have data on their drug in combination with other drugs, and occasionally in a trio. However nobody has any data with a combination that big.

I know that if the drugs are repeats, are all commonly used, and are within the manufacturers licenced doses, then we would probably clinically pass the script. I know of one E grade pharmacist who used to come into a hospital dispensary, and ask if there were any "one item" scripts to check. He must have been covering his own back by not signing for a bunch of drugs, but it has always made me concerned that if some strange reaction took place we would get the blame.

What do others think on this?
                Lively debate is encouraged but please respect the opinions and feelings of others.
                Please help keep the forum vibrant by spreading the work to friends and colleagues via word of mouth or social media.

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                  I worked with an ACT last week. The shop was really busy, and it was a great help to be able to clinically check a few scripts, and let her check them. She is a very capable, well qualified dispenser, and I was happy to trust her.
                  I have worked with ACTs at first I was worried but when the smelly stuff hits the fan it can be handy!
                  Linnear MRPharmS

Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: The biggest cause of brain damage and 100% preventable.

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

Steady on Jeff

No hard feelings I was just asking...no offence intended!

By the way I agree with you totally and p'cists should be allowed to delegate to whosoever they deem fit...although it seems as if the govt want p'cists out of the dispensing scene...there will be new developments in oct/nov this year relating to the review of current OFT regulations ..the rumour mills saying- anyone would be able to open a pharmacy anywhere and could open for 35-100 hours,if this does happen there won't be enough p'cists to man nor supervise these pharmacies so the supervision laws and the protected pharmaceutical chemist or pharmacist title would have to give...qualified dispensers with various levels of qualifcations and experience would be the new order of the day....and pharmacy techs are cheaper than p'cists !
                    Last edited by kemzero; 19, June 2006, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Steady on Jeff

By the way I agree with you totally and p'cists should be allowed to delegate to whosoever they deem fit...although it seems as if the govt want p'cists out of the dispensing scene...there will be new developments in oct/nov this year relating to the review of current OFT regulations ..the rumour mills saying- anyone would be able to open a pharmacy anywhere and could open for 35-100 hours,if this does happen there won't be enough p'cists to man nor supervise these pharmacies so the supervision laws and the protected pharmaceutical chemist or pharmacist title would have to give...qualified dispensers with various levels of qualifcations and experience would be the new order of the day....and pharmacy techs are cheaper than p'cists !
                      So what are we all going to do after then? There aren't enough jobs for us all.

Comment

Not much Admin..
                        we pay so many hundreds to the PharmSoc and for what..I honestly don't know ...all I know are the facts Pharmacy techs are now well trained and we have a very thin line diffrentiating our roles ( although not our competencies or knowledge) and that thin line is the supervision thing,if that goes..its bye bye p'cists ...we could work as highly trained techs though or we could do a prescribing course and fight tooth and nail for work with GP and nurses either way you look at it...p'cists are bound to spend the rest of their careers either fighting for jobs with techs or GPs and nurses.. In my opinion the future is not bright neither is it orange, for pharmacists......mark my words
                        Last edited by kemzero; 20, June 2006, 03:20 PM.

Comment

We could all practice sticking out heads up our arses and work at Lambeth!

(Or even for a PCT sorry Kemzero! Old habits die hard )
                          Linnear MRPharmS

pharmacistance.co.uk

eloquent-e-tales

Comment

You can't resist having a little dig, can you!

Comment

Steady on Jeff

No hard feelings and no offence taken

As to tech dispensing - I thing 2008 is the ETA.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X