Demand for locums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demand for locums?

Six years when I was barely a year old pharmacist I decided to leave my job in the multiple to become a locum. Within that time frame, I have seen many changes but one thing that makes me chuckle is how I struggled to get locum shifts it was extremely difficult especially in the winter times.

These days having reduced my availability for work, to concentrate on my sideline a reverse effect appears to have taken place. Every morning when I look at my phone I have at least 6 plus locum shifts being advertised for that day these include from locum co-ordinators of multiples and locum agents and often these shifts are readvertised into the late morning to get them filled.

This makes me wonder if others are jumping ship too? Certainly, the rates have declined considerably but in the past locum shifts were hard to come by and when last minute bookings were advertised they got booked instantly by locum often at the standard rate.

Any thoughts?

Mainland European pharmacists going home because of a) the exchange rate and b) Brexit-engendered hostility?

Comment

Originally posted by Merlyn View Post
      Mainland European pharmacists going home because of a) the exchange rate and b) Brexit-engendered hostility?
      Possibly that but it may be that the co-ordinators are having difficulty filling positions in challenging pharmacies?
      Who wants to go through hell all day these days?
      47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
      2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
      How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

I guess both of the points make sense in my case it is the latter, standing on your feet all day is physically taxing and couple that with the fact that you don't get a proper break and having to constantly check a never-ending pile of scripts was just too much day in day out. I remember in Uni when I had a job stacking shelves it was physically brutal but I would rather take that job any day simply because after my shift was over I could go home without fretting over things.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlyn View Post
          I agree with the above but there are a number of factors here. First, pharmacy is a relatively easy profession to get out of, due to the need for locums which can provide income to subsidise further courses.

Second, we just do not have information on people leaving the profession as far as work goes but maintainig their registration. There are about a dozen of us who post here regularly and several of those are retired. This is all the feedback that we get from a profession of ~46,000.

I am sure that quite a few registrants get their membership, work say 3-5 years and then quietly leave without putting anything on a bulletin board or social media about it.

They then maintain their registration, at least for a few years, in case their new plans meet with disaster.

Comment

People have had enough of poor working conditions so they are working un hospitals instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Primrose View Post
              People have had enough of poor working conditions so they are working un hospitals instead.
              Victorian values with Victorian working conditions...
              If you disagree, just wait till you need time off or are hospitalised.
              47 BC : Julius Cesar : Veni Vidi Vici : I came, I saw I conquered.
              2018 AD : Modern Man : I shopped, I clicked, I collected.
              How times change.

If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Standing up in the pharmacy for 8/9 hours a day without a proper break is tiring. Working for £19/20 doesent help matters either. Having recently qualified I am making an adequate income however there are much easier ways of earning the same amount of money. Fellow optometrists are on £300 a day and even locum audiologists are earning £30/£35 an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Ems123 View Post
                  Standing up in the pharmacy for 8/9 hours a day without a proper break is tiring. Working for £19/20 doesent help matters either. Having recently qualified I am making an adequate income however there are much easier ways of earning the same amount of money. Fellow optometrists are on £300 a day and even locum audiologists are earning £30/£35 an hour.
                  Nurses are on 30 to 50 an hours. It is a lowly job ours shameful.

Comment

Nurses are on 30 to 50 an hours. It is a lowly job ours shameful.
                    Sometimes when I am bored I look at documentaries found on Youtube specifically those based on Japan. One of the most interesting things I have noticed is that people take great pride in their jobs in Japan from being an artisan to being a cleaner. This is what motivates them not the pay to get up every morning and go to work.

I speak for myself only but when I studied my degree it was intellectually stimulating it allowed me to learn a lot of things that I wouldn't have got an opportunity. Unfortunately the job does not offer the same level of satisfaction for various reasons hence for my reason for limited work in pharmacy. All I can advise people is forget about the pay and ask yourself do you like this job? Is it easy on your health?

If the job fails to measure up to these two values then you should move on and find another job that fullfills these two criteria, very few of us will end up rich all we can aspire for is a healthy and content life.

Comment

Originally posted by jzd4rma View Post

Sometimes when I am bored I look at documentaries found on Youtube specifically those based on Japan. One of the most interesting things I have noticed is that people take great pride in their jobs in Japan from being an artisan to being a cleaner. This is what motivates them not the pay to get up every morning and go to work.

I speak for myself only but when I studied my degree it was intellectually stimulating it allowed me to learn a lot of things that I wouldn't have got an opportunity. Unfortunately the job does not offer the same level of satisfaction for various reasons hence for my reason for limited work in pharmacy. All I can advise people is forget about the pay and ask yourself do you like this job? Is it easy on your health?

If the job fails to measure up to these two values then you should move on and find another job that fullfills these two criteria, very few of us will end up rich all we can aspire for is a healthy and content life.
                      Have you moved on from being a pharmacist? If so what you up to now ?

Comment

Originally posted by jzd4rma View Post

So what line of exciting new role do you work in now? Ie what is your non pharmacy work ?

Comment

What am I doing? Well I've only started so I don't feel comfortable disclosing what it is until I've made some progress at the end of the day I partially locum still because I have no way of knowing if this will work out?

Mutley has summed up my sentiments pretty well! All I can say is if you think this job isn't for you try other things and see how it goes.

Comment

I love my job! Am I the only one? However I don't like the capitalists interference in it affecting safety. My job is great.
                            I dont care that it is considered lowly occupation what I care about is it gives me the flexibility, fulfilment that are lacking in my non pharmacists friends lives. So let's be honest it is not a bad job at the end of the day.

Comment

I love my job! Am I the only one? However I don't like the capitalists interference in it affecting safety. My job is great.
                              I dont care that it is considered lowly occupation what I care about is it gives me the flexibility, fulfilment that are lacking in my non pharmacists friends lives. So let's be honest it is not a bad job at the end of the day.
                              I guess it's down to personal preferences.

Comment

Working...
                              X