• Show
Clear All

• Meningitis Compounding Tragedy in US

Very sad to see this happen. So many lives affected:

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4512624?__tw...mpression=true

Originally posted by Gordon Mackenzie View Post
    Very sad to see this happen. So many lives affected:

http://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4512624?__tw...mpression=true
    It does not say HOW the contamination started and how it got into the steroid vials.

Comment

When I did a holiday job in Dagenham a large number of injections were prepared. Majority sterilised by autoclave but some were traeted by "Tyndallisation". This involves heating the product to a low temperature a number of times. OK for media but unproven for injections. I would suspect the source of the steroid as well. Maybe not submitted to full analytical control. When in industry we found that batches of calamine cream contained pseudomonas. Traced to the storage tank. Water should have been boiled and cooled before use, but this stage omitted on batch by operatives. Afterwards all aqueous products checked microbiologically.
      johnep

Comment

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        When I did a holiday job in Dagenham a large number of injections were prepared. Majority sterilised by autoclave but some were traeted by "Tyndallisation". This involves heating the product to a low temperature a number of times. OK for media but unproven for injections. I would suspect the source of the steroid as well. Maybe not submitted to full analytical control. When in industry we found that batches of calamine cream contained pseudomonas. Traced to the storage tank. Water should have been boiled and cooled before use, but this stage omitted on batch by operatives. Afterwards all aqueous products checked microbiologically.
        johnep
        Tyndallisation? I wonder if it is effective at eliminating all microbial contaminants.

Comment

Working...
        X