Melatinin 3mg capsules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melatinin 3mg capsules

The local childrens clinic seems to have no knowledge of the approved 2mg Circadin product and persists in prescribing the 3mg strength.

Yesterday a large box arrived from Martindale which felt as though it was full of air. It contained 2 small bottles from a co actually calling itself UL medicines.

Cost was £45 for 60 caps and £12 postage.

I seem to remember that special conditions apply to Melatonin. What should we do.

dose was 2 x 3mg at night, surely could have been 3 x 2mg. I was only there for the day.
    johnep

Re: Melatinin 3mg capsules

We give Melatonin out in various strengths and formulations. Since the licensed product came out(although NOT licensed in children), the local children's clinic has changed the odd rx to Circadin, but the majority have stayed the same.

I would dispense what came in and perhaps phone clinic and let them know of new product.

Comment

Well, if the 2mg is unlicenced for children in any case, then not worth the bother. Have never dispensed melatonin to an adult.
      johnep

Comment

Re: Melatonin 3mg capsules

Originally posted by johnep View Post
        Well, if the 2mg is unlicenced for children in any case, then not worth the bother. Have never dispensed melatonin to an adult.
        johnep
        It is worth the bother, as dipensing a licensed product albeit for unlicensed indication is far safer for the patient than to dispense an unlicensed drug (may be imported, may not be pharmaceutical grade). At least it offers some assurance to the prescriber, pharmacist and patient that the product in question satisfies MHRA product licensing and is of a reasonable quality.

Grandy

Comment

Well Durbin and Idis claim all their meds are kosher.
          johnep

Comment

No doubt about the authenticity of Durbin/Idis imported drugs, however, one with a product license from the UK licensing body in my opinion would be a safer option in these litigious times.

Grandy

Comment

Hi there, see you are in Gib. Many happy memories of visiting there in the 80s to promote meds to the GPs and St Bernards. First stayed at The Rock, but found could hear noise from the port, later stayed at Caleta palace.

Should think several of the pharmacists I used to call on now retired, particularly remember the pharmacist at north end of main street and the two brothers, one called ernest.
              johnep

Comment

Would that be Valmar pharmacy? Calpe? (at the north end close to casemates?) I have stayed at the rock and for a 5 star place i found it a bit average. Gib is still stuck in the 60's, its not bad bar the stench on some mornings from our neighbours in Spain at the refinery.

Comment

Yep, Valmar was the name I was trying to recall. I also used to call on the Naval Hospital. Became friendly with the pharmacist there and later saw him in Portsmouth. He told me the scuba diving was great near Gib. I really felt at home in Gib. went out into Spain one weekend and called at that resort near malagar. full of expat brits with medallions and blondes.
                  It was in Gib that I was first introduced to calamari and chips.
                  Happy days.
                  johnep

Comment

Working...
                  X