Companies sucking us dry!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies sucking us dry!

So every year I notice more tactics employed by the major community pharmacy chains to suck the work and life out if us whilst maximising their profit.

The oxford dictionary defines the term I used in my post title as exhausting someone physically mentally and emotionally.

so here are examples
    travelling expenses not reimbursed for first 20 miles or none at all in fact one company now tells locums to claim their travel from the public purse! Thus maximising their own profit at taxpayers expense.

locums only get employed if they are mur accredited.
    or flu trained. Ok we must be highly trained I know but to aggressively state this is uncouth.

only young locums get booked. Seen as desperate and will accept lower rates.

Pharmacists expected to cover the counter with its array of weird and wonderful queries some involve broken limbs! self dispense (they dont care about safety just money) and hand out Rx unsupported for 1 hour whilst the dispenser is on lunch. Very common in Boots.Every day.

They dont employ enough staff so they expect the locum not their qualified staff as they dont have enough to do CD checks whilst doing above and checking 400 items left by the manager from the day before as too busy doing clinically unnecessary MUR to pump up the figures.

Pharmacists expected to break the rules to please disorganised custimers such as dispense a faxed CD rx!
    Supply and sell Diamorphine without a CD requisition just to please the Lord I mean doctor!
    BECAUSE WE ALWAYS DO THAT HERE!

clean the toilet (I have done) before using as too dirty cos staff shortage.
    clean the mould from mugs before pouring drinks

comforting psychologically disturbed people who walk into said pharmacy as NHS resources can not treat them. Have done that too!

many other situations can not put incase of breaking confidentiality.

locum rates being cut annually instead of reviewed upwards.
    managers paid based on opinions of broken emotionally area managers. Very subjective.

productivity measures that are only fit for a Robot
    Words such as resilience, enotional balance, physically fit,fast, robust used in reviews instead of clinical based measures.

area managers telling staff to get customers in and out as fast as u can! Conveyer belt mentality.

Ah the wonderful world of retail, which we all love very much.

I do think Lefty has a point, it sounds pretty bad where you work.

Counters are always going to get some people treating us like a minor injuries unit and think we should be kitted out with A&E, in other ways on the mental health or other side we are the most accessible part of the NHS - we hear everything little thing wrong with the NHS. Sad that the patients can't necessarily get the treatment they need. I still vastly prefer this to being asked as we are in pharmacies things like where the nearest post box is or if you are working in a shopping complex, especially larger ones, bizarre questions about other shops as wide ranging as fast food, food, electronics, shoes and my personal favourite, pets.

Comment

I am starting to realise maybe the grass os greener on the other side. I have seen people go onto Hospital positions with less pay simply for a more respectful working environment. I must like it though otherwise I would have moved to somewhere else. Lol@ myself.

Comment

I agree with certain points you make above. Feel like community pharmacy is not a great place to Locum.

The biggest issue is staff shortages and lack of trained staff. It is a stressful time for contractors as well with the cuts and one way to manage that it is to cut expense down.

However this does not excuse pharmacies from being short staffed- the aspect of many pharmacy being short staffed puts patient safety in jeopardy. The aspect of self checking should also not exist and happens in many pharmacies especially supermarkets where pharmacist are on their own for a significant period of time.

Also the big companies get away with bad practice for example boots ask certain locums to sign RP register in advance prior two hours before you come in so dispensary staff can start dispensing. This highly bad practice, unethical and goes against the principles of RP regulation - https://www.the-pda.org/the-boots-ad...-the-pda-view/

The question is how are these big companies getting away with it.

The other aspect is the pressure that pharmacist have on a daily basis to meet targets such as MUR - many people have got into FTP due to higher manager putting pressure on pharmacist to do MUR. The question is why have the companies not be penalised heavily for unethical behaviour.

A lot of people will say you have to upskill in order to provide more services. Upskilling is great in the sense that you learning new skills and you always have to improve yourself. However these days you doing more service for same pay and more targets being put on you.

Comment

Originally posted by HI2013 View Post

A lot of people will say you have to upskill in order to provide more services. Upskilling is great in the sense that you learning new skills and you always have to improve yourself. However these days you doing more service for same pay and more targets being put on you.
          The list of services does seem to be getting longer. It doesn't seem very efficient with having a lot of these services as bolt ons that pharmacists have to individually organise and in some cases redo every year. I think the regulation side of things needs looking at where things can be bundled together or some training as part of the MPharm and automatic accreditation for some of these things. Summary Care record and flu training seems so variable, with a vast number of pharmacists having neither. The SCR one I can't really see why a mechanism can't be made for all registered UK pharmacists to allowed to do SCR.

Comment

All I can suggest is leave the company if you are not happy. I recently jumped ship from Boots to a smaller local chain and am much happier, the pharmacies are well staffed and the pharmacist is left alone to actually do their job. Subsequently, the patients are more appreciative of my time as I am not on display all day selling deodourant.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceghost1 View Post
              All I can suggest is leave the company if you are not happy. I recently jumped ship from Boots to a smaller local chain and am much happier, the pharmacies are well staffed and the pharmacist is left alone to actually do their job. Subsequently, the patients are more appreciative of my time as I am not on display all day selling deodourant.
              Thank you guys. You have given me thought for reflection.

Comment

When I first locummed in the mid 90's it was standard for travelling expenses to be paid for travel OVER 20 miles. That went by the noughties to claiming mileage from HMRC and no travel expenses at all. . As an employee I couldn't claim ANY travel expenses except those I incurred directly as a result of my job....which were paid by the hospital. It is fair that a locum can claim if they incur significant extra expenses over an above what an employee would...but everybody who works has to travel to get there . Why should one person be able to claim for travel becasue they are a locum when an employee who has the same journey cannot?

Comment

HMRC tried this argument a few years ago. Vets won the case and travel expenses allowed. You are supposed to deduct the mileage to your "office". This prevents employees at a regular place of employment claiming.
                  johnep

Comment

All I can advice is to leave and find something else. After years of dithering, I'm leaving this profession FINALLY. My new year resolution is not to moan about pharmacy or feel bad about the sector. At the end, I didn't create this mess so why should I feel bad about this.

Personally, I don't think hospital is a good alternative. People with myopic vision will think in years but if you think in decades the NHS is due for major upheaval and with technology becoming so sophisticated the whole clinical check done on ward rounds could be automated. This will further remove the need for the vast number of posts. I remember in Uni one lecturer was saying hospital pharmacists had to create a new role because of automated dispensing and the production of standard pharmaceutical products. With the advent of smartphone and AI software I wonder how long before the majority of the posts become redundant. Thats not to say it will happen now but it will in the next decade or so. This will be an issue if you are millennial like me as we are expected to work into our 70s but can we can keep our job in this sector for that many decades if it no longer needs us?

Comment

Originally posted by jzd4rma View Post
                      All I can advice is to leave and find something else. After years of dithering, I'm leaving this profession FINALLY. My new year resolution is not to moan about pharmacy or feel bad about the sector. At the end, I didn't create this mess so why should I feel bad about this.

Personally, I don't think hospital is a good alternative. People with myopic vision will think in years but if you think in decades the NHS is due for major upheaval and with technology becoming so sophisticated the whole clinical check done on ward rounds could be automated. This will further remove the need for the vast number of posts. I remember in Uni one lecturer was saying hospital pharmacists had to create a new role because of automated dispensing and the production of standard pharmaceutical products. With the advent of smartphone and AI software I wonder how long before the majority of the posts become redundant. Thats not to say it will happen now but it will in the next decade or so. This will be an issue if you are millennial like me as we are expected to work into our 70s but can we can keep our job in this sector for that many decades if it no longer needs us?
                      What options are there? Other than starting afresh.

Comment

All the best for the future jzd4rma. Can I ask what you will be doing now?

Comment

Originally posted by viru219 View Post
                          All the best for the future jzd4rma. Can I ask what you will be doing now?
                          Yes please share, even in general terms.
                          News of someone managing to 'find the exit' cheers us up a bit.
                          (It sounds strange, but pharmacists are a strange bunch)
                          Bet if feels like the last scene of the Shawshank Redemption Movie!
                          Most of the time the internet is full of daft opinions and views that you should not take seriously let bother you at all.
                          Note : If this posting contains personal views or opinions every endeavour is made to ensure they stay within social media guidelines.
                          If you find you have read something that has upset or offended you an anyway please unread it at once.

Comment

Not sharing the exit strategy incase gets copied I see.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmanaut View Post

Yes please share, even in general terms.
                              News of someone managing to 'find the exit' cheers us up a bit.
                              (It sounds strange, but pharmacists are a strange bunch)
                              Bet if feels like the last scene of the Shawshank Redemption Movie!
                              Hi guys I spent a good two years planning this out and now its come to the execution phase I'm going to probably tell after I made some form of progress. No harping on because having an idea is not the same as having achieved it. For all I know I could fall flat on my face look how my descision to study pharmacy turned out (I know one of my new year resolution was not to moan about pharmacy so I'll say no more).

And Pharmanaut excellent reference, if you remember in the movie Andy Dufresne spent 19 years digging away before escaping no one knew what he was up to until the end maybe I'll end up doing the same because community pharmacy does sure feel like a form of institutionalization.

Comment

Working...
                              X