Nurses in community pharmacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurses in community pharmacy

I’m starting to see job adverts for nurses to work in community pharmacies. https://www.superdrug.jobs/vacancies...619084_31.html

When it comes to hiring someone to give vaccinations and deliver health promotion a nurse is cheaper than a pharmacist. Even though I’m currently training to be a nurse, whilst still working in a community pharmacy, I feel this sort of role should be for techs with further training. If only groups like the PDA weren’t so anti techs, this would be a great way to allow techs who are interested in this aspect of community pharmacy to develop further, whilst saving money. Pharmacy technicians seem to be the only registered HCPs who can’t give meds through a PGD, even HCAs and ambulance technicians can (more or less) and they aren’t even registered.

Anyway, the point being what do you think are the benefits and disadvantages of nurses in community pharmacy, beyond the lower wages?

When I did my apprenticeship back in 1952 with the shoe, we had a nurse on the surgical counter. She did truss measurements and gave advice etc.
    johnep

Comment

Beyond lower wages, the nursing sector has a casualisation, agency and zero hour system in it. Yes locums are aplenty in pharmacy and even some dispensers and techs locum, but it's adding to those that are agencies/zero hours/casualisation.

Is there a difference in regulatory burdern for the employer/worker/company? So many locums won't get flu training, is it easier or more integrated for nurses? If this is the case repeated for various other things. Is is easier to persuade a nurse to go off to do training/do a service than a pharmacist?

There's no doubt for me that people working in retail pharmacy are massively underutilised, even healthcare assistants and dispensers (hears the SHOUTS already), let alone techs or pharmacists. In pharmacies I've worked in there is (small sample) a reluctance/confidence issue on having more hands on services or to be blunt anything that doesn't involve selling or highly repetitive processes (think retail and selling or stacking/other processes). The stuff of late about health promotion colleagues are very reluctant/sceptical about doing any of that. Or actually setting aside time needed (not that much) to train people.

Comment

It's also preparation for providing commissioned outreach healthcare services. Lloyds are re-visiting their health centre plans and others will follow.

Comment

Working...
        X